Forum Index > Trail Talk > Scuttle Butt - Hurricane Ridge Lodge Fire ~~ Confirmed Lodge Burned To The Ground
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 07, 2023 5:53 pm 
Haven't seen any confirmations but the scuttle butt off the poice scanner page is that Hurricane Ridge Lodge has burned down. There is a thermo layer of clouds obscuring the ridge so I can't really see anything out my door. They were in the midst of remodeling this. Anyway, keep you posted if I get any confirmation. If so I will Update the subject line. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 07, 2023 5:59 pm 
Still can't confirm through anything official, just the local scanner page.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 07, 2023 6:24 pm 
Still no confirmation, but I did read from another source that it was not the lodge but some other building in ONP. It may not have even been on Hurricane Ridge. Rumi

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 07, 2023 6:44 pm 
I guess it is kinda confirmed now. Pertinent Part: "OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK — At least three fire departments were called to a structure blaze at the top of Hurricane Ridge late Sunday afternoon. Information is sketchy at this time. Interim Chief Dan Orr with Clallam County Fire District 3 said his department was called to assist at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday after an Olympic National Park ranger contacted dispatchers. But later the department’s water tender, which was on its way up the 17-mile road, was canceled. Clallam Fire District 2 and Port Angeles Fire Department apparently also were called to the blaze."

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 07, 2023 8:18 pm 
Pretty much confirmed now that the Hurricane Ridge Lodge completely burned down. Saw a photo on FB Oly Hikers page to confirm it. Rumi

meck
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostSun May 07, 2023 8:20 pm 
https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/hurricane-ridge-blaze-reported/ OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK — The 70-year-old Hurricane Ridge lodge has burned to to the ground. Chief Jake Patterson of Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue said at 8 p.m. Sunday that his department and the Port Angeles Fire Department had finished fighting the blaze and that the Ridge’s visitor center was completely destroyed. His department was called to the fire at 4:39 p.m. Sunday, Patterson said. The lodge was fine when a ranger went up to the ridge at about 8:30 a.m. Sunday, so it is not known when the fire started, said Lee Snook, acting public information officer for Olympic National Park. The lodge has been undergoing rehabilitation with the area closed since March 27 and reopening planned May 25. Contractors have been on site but were not working this weekend, Snook said. Interim Chief Dan Orr with Clallam County Fire District 3 said his department was called to assist at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday, but later the department’s water tender, which was on its way up the 17-mile road, was canceled. The road remained closed Sunday with a ranger turning back any who attempt to drive up to the ridge. A two-year-long project to upgrade the lodge was to cost about $11 million funded through the Great American Outdoors Act. The lodge, originally built in 1952, was to have its roof replaced and receive upgrades to its plumbing, wiring and HVAC systems. *edited by Anne Elk to correct ranger visit time to agree w/PDNews link info.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSun May 07, 2023 8:31 pm 
Well, makes the renovations a lot easier. I assume this will further delay the opening of the road? I wonder if the contractors who were doing the renovating are responsible?

Gil

Gil
PostSun May 07, 2023 10:05 pm 
Very sad news. Perhaps they'll be able to rebuild better.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostMon May 08, 2023 12:04 am 
Well that's a shocker, but with all the infrastructure collapse and other chaos, not that surprising. No telling when the area will be open now. Maybe they'll put in some sanicans and still allow visitors this summer? It would keep the crowds down so it's not a total loss...

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon May 08, 2023 1:53 am 
What infrastructure collapse and chaos had happened at Hurricane Ridge?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostMon May 08, 2023 2:08 am 
I mean in general in the USA. As we retreat ever further into screens, simulated worlds, distractions and abstractions, our real world is getting more dilapidated and dysfunctional. That's my perception anyway, so I expect things like this.

tinman

tinman
PostMon May 08, 2023 6:54 am 

Wherever you go, there you are.......
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon May 08, 2023 8:18 am 
NightOwl wrote:
No telling when the area will be open now. Maybe they'll put in some sanicans and still allow visitors this summer?
It was supposed to open at the end of the month when the renovations were complete. Well, now, the renovations are complete. If the park service actually cared about maintaining public access they would throw up some sanicans and open it next week. Rope the area off for safety and investigation but there is no reason they can't immediately open the road to the public. But knowing the park service, they will use this an excuse to keep the area closed for the next several years.

NightOwl
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon May 08, 2023 8:19 am 
Also hoping for some sanicans and access this year... imagine it will be a handful of years before anything gets rebuilt.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon May 08, 2023 11:25 am 
It’s the Feds. Presumably ATF will do the origin and cause investigation.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!