Forum Index > Photography Talk > Steadicam/stabilizers.. anyone own
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Inedra
Mr

Inedra
Mr
PostWed Mar 18, 2020 5:40 am 
So my wife is on-board that we need a Steadicam for our "family movies" I've been looking at the "glidecam" brand as they are more of an enthusiast-grade stabilizer and affordable. I've really liked a lot of the footage I've seen online of people using them that know how to use them- And for the record, I did attempt to build one out of PVC pipe and what not about 2 years ago.. it was meh. Okay, it was not very good at all. Does anyone have any experience??

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 8:37 pm 
The internal stabilization on the GoPro Hero 8 is fantastic. I've used it shoulder mounted, hand held, helmet mounted and chest mounted. I thought the 7 was good but IMHO this Hero 8 is every bit as good as a hand held stabilizer, perhaps even better.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 3:55 pm 
williswall wrote:
The internal stabilization on the GoPro Hero 8 is fantastic. I've used it shoulder mounted, hand held, helmet mounted and chest mounted. I thought the 7 was good but IMHO this Hero 8 is every bit as good as a hand held stabilizer, perhaps even better.
The GoPro Hero 8 uses a Charged Coupled Device sensor that reads every pixel simultaneously. It a much more complicated approach, and why even the most current models are a 12MP sensor. This eliminates the “rolling shutter” effect of other conventional camera sensors. The cost of Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) magnetic sensors is now fairly low (i.e. iPhone compass and shake shuffle). I suspect the go-pro image stabilization uses these sensors along with a comparative image processing to achieve exceptional levels of stabilization. As a pure video device, it’s hard to find better.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 4:31 pm 
I'm going to leave this up just to shame glidecam for spamming. Don't support companies like glidecam that spam to promote their products. https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/39574/steadicam-stabilizers-anyone-own-one-or-work-with-that-mortals-can-afford Their online reviews are likely inflated and fake too.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Mar 21, 2020 11:42 am 
You might consider something like the DJI Osmo - I used the original model for years, and found that it was a great all in one system.
There are several different models these days, including the Osmo Pocket which is as easy to carry around as the name implies. Alternatively, if you are looking to stabilize a DSLR or similar, motorized gimbals can produce great results - I own the DJI Ronin S, though I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's a great device, but with a camera mounted on it the thing weighs a ton, and it will set you back $650. Of course, if you have a light weight camera that you want to stabilize there are much cheaper and lighter motorized gimbals options out there.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/

breadcrumb
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 11:13 pm 
Is "family movies" in quotes because it's some kind of euphemism?

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostTue May 09, 2023 11:23 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
You might consider something like the DJI Osmo - I used the original model for years, and found that it was a great all in one system.
There are several different models these days, including the Osmo Pocket which is as easy to carry around as the name implies. Alternatively, if you are looking to stabilize a DSLR or similar, motorized gimbals can produce great results - I own the DJI Ronin S, though I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's a great device, but with a camera mounted on it the thing weighs a ton, and it will set you back $650. Of course, if you have a light weight camera that you want to stabilize there are much cheaper and lighter motorized gimbals options out there.
Great video! Out of curiosity, did you use Wondershare Filmora to do your editing?