Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Gordon Lightfoot
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 02, 2023 10:27 am 
Oh, Canada! Nothing takes me back to my years living there like listening to ""Gord". This is a great compilation of Lightfoot performances over the years ... tunes from his early career thru the ones we all know: Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Sundown, etc. The 2nd video is the trailer from a bio-documentary done several years ago, which can probably be streamed on Amazon. It's kind of amazing that he made it to 84, given his hard-drinking lifestyle, and at least one brush with death (an aneurysm, I think).

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

ale_capone, Gil, GaliWalker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostTue May 02, 2023 3:34 pm 
This always brings me back to Portland in the late summer/early fall of '73, when this came out.

ale_capone, gb, GaliWalker, Anne Elk
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue May 02, 2023 4:25 pm 
Tim Bachman, a founding member of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, dead at 71 april 28

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 02, 2023 5:41 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
This always brings me back to Portland in the late summer/early fall of '73, when this came out.
I saw him in Seattle at the Paramount in the mid-90's, for the first time. Unfortunately the seats weren't the best (balcony).

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed May 03, 2023 7:23 pm 
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/local/split-rock-lighthouse-to-shine-beacon-in-honor-of-gordon-lightfoot Split Rock Lighthouse to shine beacon in honor of Gordon Lightfoot The Canadian singer-songwriter, who died Monday at 84, has drawn generations of listeners to Lake Superior with his song recounting "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." Appears the Duluth News Tribune is lifting their paywall for 3 days, and hopefully this will stay unblocked TWO HARBORS — Split Rock Lighthouse will shine its beacon Wednesday night in honor of the late Gordon Lightfoot. It's a rare honor: The beacon is seldom lit, with an annual exception being Nov. 10 to mark the anniversary of the 1975 sinking of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald. A 1976 song by Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," has moved millions of listeners with the true story of the Lake Superior catastrophe.

Off trail rambler

ale_capone  Anne Elk
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed May 03, 2023 8:49 pm 
I liked his music a lot. IMO - he never got enough credit for this great trilogy. Wonderful lyrics/poetry! RIP

ale_capone, Pyrites, Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed May 03, 2023 10:12 pm 
^^^ The NY Times ran an article listing "10 Essential Gordon Lightfoot songs", but Canadian Railroad Trilogy didn't make the cut. Not a very astute reviewer, IMO. CRT would be near the top of any list had it been compiled by a Canadian. huh.gif

Pyrites, jinx'sboy
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed May 03, 2023 11:38 pm 
With Stan’s Northwest Passage, great music for driving the long highways from the Peace in the middle of the night. I’d still like to take The Canadian end to end.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Anne Elk
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun May 07, 2023 5:34 pm 
I heard the news earlier in the week and finally got around to some listening time this weekend, the clips that have been posted as well as others, including interviews…Incredible talent..and a nostalgic heartbreaker here, that applies to not just romantic, but any loss… bawl.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

gb, Anne Elk
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri May 12, 2023 6:52 am 
This one kind of hit me. The musty hall where they prayed was the mariners church in Detroit. Every year the church pays tribute to the sailors that died on the Edmund Fitzgerald by ringing their bells at the time of the ships sinking. And not just your typical bell toll. It's a chaotic ringing with a sense of urgency. Last week the church honored Gordon Lightfoot by ringing the bells after his passing. In 1955 my father came to America from Scotland. His first job was as a laborer putting in a foundation for the church. He asked about where the materials were to build. His foreman said, "right over their paddy, it's on its way", and points to the church some 800' away, creeping to its new location. My father was not big into music. He had three 8 tracks. Gordon Lightfoot, the Irish rovers, and Harry Chapin. But you know, cats in the cradle.... I turned out much like dad. It was an honor to pay my own little tribute last Sunday. Rest well Gordon, Harry, and pops. Love you https://wrkr.com/detroit-church-paid-special-tribute-to-gordon-lightfoot-after-his-passing/ https://www.hourdetroit.com/community/mariners-church-of-detroit/

Shred, Anne Elk
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri May 12, 2023 7:43 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
^^^ The NY Times ran an article listing "10 Essential Gordon Lightfoot songs", but Canadian Railroad Trilogy didn't make the cut. Not a very astute reviewer, IMO. CRT would be near the top of any list had it been compiled by a Canadian. huh.gif
I thought Gordon was canadian?

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri May 12, 2023 1:46 pm 
Lightfoot was born in Orillia, Ontario, on November 17, 1938, to Jessie Vick Trill Lightfoot and Gordon Lightfoot Sr., who owned a local dry cleaning business. He was of Scottish descent

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat May 13, 2023 2:04 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
With Stan’s Northwest Passage, great music for driving the long highways from the Peace in the middle of the night. I’d still like to take The Canadian end to end.
I'm not sure you still can. CP Rail has undergone several restructurings since the late 70's and seems to no longer have coast-to-coast passenger service (and for sure not daily departures). It's kinda sad. See the passenger rail section in this article about CP Railway. Last I heard they run a "tourist" leg thru the mountains, but it's not the same as seeing the whole country by rail. My first trip to the Canadian west was via train from Toronto to Banff. It left Toronto in late afternoon, and at daylight next morning, you woke in the wilderness of Canadian shield country. Talk about feeling "transported"! I'd love to see the rest from Banff thru the Selkirks to Vancouver. Great reference to Canada's other great story-song folk troubador, Pyrites. Not many Americans know about Stan Rogers' music. I had the good fortune to hear him in several small venue concerts. Another huge talent, but so different one can't compare. His death in that early 80's Air Canada fire was a huge loss. His bandmate/brother Garnet carried on and I heard him perform at Ballard's Tractor Tavern in the late 90's. It seems appropriate to plug Stan's NW Passage here, and one of my fave Garnet Rogers tunes: a Robert Burns poem set to music. By golly, I've hijacked my own thread, sorta. biggrin.gif
ale_capone wrote:
]
Anne Elk wrote:
I thought Gordon was canadian?
I was referring there to the reviewer, not Gord.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun May 14, 2023 10:44 am 
Sorry, my mistake. I read that wrong. I thought it said composed, not compiled. Must have had a tear in my eye. wink.gif I don't think ive ever seen a best of anything list I've agreed with. In the mid 90's My wife and I got via rail passes and took a full month going from Windsor to Toronto to Vancouver and back, stopping at ever major city and then some. We seen the tourist train heading east on the other side of the frazier(track on each side). The bonus of the tourist train is they only travel during daylight hours so you can enjoy the views. The via line plays second fiddle to freight, and you find yourself sided and waiting quite a bit.

Anne Elk
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu May 18, 2023 8:43 pm 
Gord was so great! He was my go to music when I was driving a car to the trailhead. Whispers of the North and Mountains and Marion got the mountain vibe especially right. Pretty cool documentary on Gordon: https://www.gordonlightfootmovie.com/ Its worth checking out if you`re a fan. RIP Gord