Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > For the Love of God CAN WE PLEASE STOP LYING TO OURSELVES ABOUT PLASTIC?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Apr 30, 2023 11:17 pm 
They put old tires in giant piles then wait for an “accidental” fire. The picture is of Mt Firestone in Everett WA.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon May 01, 2023 7:26 am 
this brings to mind the problem with recycling glass from some years back. there was noone in the states who used green glass and the recyclables were piling up..one idea was to mix the ground up glass with old ground up tires and spread on playgrounds (caused some minor injuries and had to be removed). next idea was to mix the glass and tire stuff with paving tar and spread on mountain pass roads (worked a lot better than the playground idea). dunno what is being done these days.

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon May 01, 2023 9:14 am 
I never heard of the "Mt Firestone" fire as we were living in Texas at the time. Pretty ugly. I do remember a couple of failed attempts by WADOT to put tires in road fills. One in Garfield County, and the other near Ilwaco. In both cases the tires caught fire and had to be removed at considerable expense. I guess there has been some progress in recycling, but there are still a lot going into landfills.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 01, 2023 12:23 pm 
I recall years ago there was a wrecking yard in south Everett and when they closed it down, during the construction excavation project, they unearthed a hug pile of tires, don't know what they did with them though.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 01, 2023 12:30 pm 
It was not a real great idea to grind up the old tires and sprinkle them over athletic fields. Even worse to use the old astroturf as riverbed liner.😰

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 01, 2023 1:58 pm 
For sure, people and their "ideas" are destroying the world.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

NightOwl
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon May 01, 2023 3:39 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
For sure! When Tom came up with his "idea" about nwhikers.net, it destroyed a lot of my free time! smile.gif

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 01, 2023 4:41 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
For sure! When Tom came up with his "idea" about nwhikers.net, it destroyed a lot of my free time! smile.gif
Right, plus I have met some pretty sketchy people, lol.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 03, 2023 11:58 pm 
Sorry off topic, but how can we be so technologically advanced that we can put a man on the moon but we can't figure out how to prevent birds from being sucked into a jet engine, possibly leading to mass casualties? My take is that mankind is just smart enough to be dangerous...I mean people are and have always been the biggest threat to the future of the Earth.

Anne Elk
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu May 11, 2023 1:37 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Aren't at least some old tires recycled and used for road paving? (Likely asphalt). I'm not certain if I actually read that somewhere, or if I'm hallucinating that I did. confused.gif
Unfortunately by the time your set of tires gets to recycling they have deposited about 6 liters of micro-rubber in the environment.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 11, 2023 1:46 pm 
CC wrote:
Unfortunately by the time your set of tires gets to recycling they have deposited about 6 liters of micro-rubber in the environment.
Well, better something recycled than nothing. tongue.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Dick B

Dick B
PostThu May 11, 2023 5:05 pm 
I wonder what is going to happen to all the EV batteries that will be starting to accumulate?

Anne Elk
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri May 12, 2023 7:40 am 
Dick B wrote:
I wonder what is going to happen to all the EV batteries that will be starting to accumulate?
Despite my having taken very good care of it, my first electric lawnmower battery has failed prematurely. Trying to get satisfaction from the warranty was of course a joke at my expense, ha, ha, ha. The question is pretty immediate for me. What the heck do I do with this big heavy dead thing?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 13, 2023 1:19 pm 
CC wrote:
Everybody in the next generation will be on dialysis by age 40. We all drink so much plastic, and in such small pieces, it passes through the placenta now.

Anne Elk
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 18, 2023 7:47 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Everybody in the next generation will be on dialysis by age 40
Provided they are able to reproduce, as PFAs in virtually everything now are causing reproductive problems, primarily among males.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."