PostSat May 13, 2023 1:21 pm 
RumiDude
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat May 20, 2023 11:18 pm 
Thanks for sharing this. It's really really interesting. I hope to read more about this on possible further study. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Cyclopath
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 21, 2023 10:36 am 
^ somewhere on this website is a link to an article that details more than a 50% decline in global bird populations over the last half a century or so.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

RumiDude
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 26, 2023 11:28 am 
It is much more quiet, bird wise here. Don't know if the late spring caused it or whether it is the bigger picture. The few robins I've seen look thin. The only birds that seem to be common this year are the doves and the quail. The latter decimated my lettuce seedlings!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri May 26, 2023 9:35 pm 
Interesting. While warming is a plausible explanation.... the correlation between species being smaller in warmer climates is indeed very strong... adapting in a statistically significant way to a small change in temperature concentrated mainly in the last few decades is pretty thin. I suspect that more typical causes are at play here... habitat destruction, food loss, toxins we have added to the environment, all strike me as being more likely culprits.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat May 27, 2023 6:52 am 
treeswarper wrote"It is much more quiet, bird wise here" it is near the same here and I suspect that the avian bird flu may have played a role in decimating wild bird populations world wide. A few of the expected birds have shown up in the last couple of days but not in the numbers that had been previously.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 27, 2023 11:01 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Interesting. While warming is a plausible explanation.... the correlation between species being smaller in warmer climates is indeed very strong... adapting in a statistically significant way to a small change in temperature concentrated mainly in the last few decades is pretty thin. I suspect that more typical causes are at play here... habitat destruction, food loss, toxins we have added to the environment, all strike me as being more likely culprits.
You're telling us your hunch is that people with PhDs who spent their entire lives studying this are wrong, but you haven't told us why we should trust your opinion instead. Why should we? What do you know or have access to that they don't?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSat May 27, 2023 7:23 pm 
You shouldnt trust my opinion. You should think through the evidence and math and the logic for yourself. In this case i see the evidence is that some birds are getting smaller. Seems to me its quite a leap to try to then pin down specific causes when there are so many (mostly human caused mind you) to choose from.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 28, 2023 1:34 pm 
^ I'm not seeing smaller birds. I am seeing almost NO birds, other than the three resident Western Scrub Jays who hang out in my back yard and two Mourning Doves who "coo coo" all day long atop the power poles out in the alley in back and a few Starlings and the usual Northwestern Crows. I have not seen a Black-capped Chickadee in my back yard for two weeks. I think there were all of maybe two common House Finches here this last week. Are the scrub jays running the others off? That hasn't been the case the last 8-10 years they've been here. Very weird. My back yard is "bird paradise" - lots of black sunflower seeds, water, lots of options for quick escape, and NO CATS. I need to remember to call the local Audubon people and ask them if they have any ideas about what's going on.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 28, 2023 1:36 pm 
... as an aside, while mowing the back lawn a week ago, in between dumping bags I was listening to a Pileated Woodpecker drilling and calling for a girlfriend up in a very alive Douglas Fir on the parcel to my immediate south. Didn't note his size, as I was unable to spot him, but he definitely sounded healthy.