Forum Index > Trail Talk > fire danger in late August this year? (Glacier Peak Wilderness)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSat May 13, 2023 10:28 pm 
RyanP wrote:
Do you know how big the fire was? If much of the area burned down, then maybe I'll change my plans.
I doubt you can tell there was a fire there. The major fire last year was a valley over. BCP fire went out almost immediately. Don't change plans. I was there mid august. The day I went last year it was supposed to be in the low 90's in Wenatchee, if I remember correctly. The mountains would have probably been in the high 70's, hotter in the valley. High Pass had almost no flies. BCP was bad with flies when I passed through at 18:30. I'd bring the full tent. I've been on the spider gap to BCP loop and they can be there the whole way. Not Napeequa valley bad, not even close, but always there. Mosquito city at lower lyman one year and cloudy pass but nothing at Image lake the evening prior. Depends on the weather for bugs too sometimes, could be different this year, depending. Bring a head net for the evenings and deet will keep the mosquitos off. I used crampons and an ice axe on the snow slope under high pass. Let me know if you have any other questions. I do a trip every year in August, I'm going to Cub Lake this year if it's back open from from fires a few years ago. If not, I'm going to attempt the Spider Gap to BCP loop in one day. Post pictures if you go.

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSat May 13, 2023 11:17 pm 
Is Suiattle confirmed closed this summer? It was closed the last two summers because of the Downey fire but I thought they were going to reopen it in October. Did the fire by Boulder Lake close the road again?

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun May 14, 2023 7:08 am 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
Is Suiattle confirmed closed this summer? It was closed the last two summers because of the Downey fire but I thought they were going to reopen it in October. Did the fire by Boulder Lake close the road again?
I heard they were going to open it last October. I haven't heard either way this year.

none
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 14, 2023 12:03 pm 
A bit of a conversation about wildfire danger as well as nerdy weather talk.
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

zimmertr
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 14, 2023 12:31 pm 
^^^ It doesn't bode well for the summer, does it? Temps this warm in May mean more rapid snowmelt, for one thing. And wasn't it last month that we were already down 5 inches from average precipitation for the year? I know relative newcomers like it, but this isn't the PNW weather that anyone here from the 1980's or earlier recognizes as remotely normal PNW weather. waah.gif Sun worshippers are a dime a dozen; I'm one of those contrarian cloud worshippers: Cloud Appreciation Society

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

gb, zimmertr, idoru, RumiDude
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 16, 2023 5:30 pm 
zimmertr