Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kite

kite
PostSat Jun 04, 2022 12:12 pm 
Looking for a replacement geared rear hub motor and controller. my existing BMC motor is is toast. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 26, 2022 10:26 am 
My pickup is doing a lot of sitting. Maybe look for a watermelon that will fit today.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

RumiDude, JimK, RichP
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 10:50 am 
In case anyone is interested, Zen is having a Black Friday Sale on the Samurai. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 3:38 pm 
To answer the OP, I take my ebike on logging roads all the time here on the Olympic Peninsula and even rougher places like abandoned forest roads and singletrack. I have a JuicedBikes RipCurrent S (new version) and it's awesome. I've beat it up pretty good and it hasn't had any problems. The 4" tires give a smooth ride, and the 1000 Wh battery is a beast. I did recently buy a cheap fat bike for the roughest exploring, because the ebike is around 75 pounds and is hard to carry when you get in the really rough stuff where I like to go. But for most people, a RipCurrent S or similar ebike will be an awesome forest road explorer.

brokein2
neek

neek
PostSat Mar 11, 2023 6:45 am 
E-Bikes Are Convenient. They Can Also Cause Fatal Fires. (NYT) Lithium-ion battery fires are happening more often. Here’s how to prevent them (CNN) Risk is still fairly low, but fires probably happen more than you think (over 200 just in New York last year), and the consequences can be high. I have a friend who recently suffered 2nd degree burns from an e-skateboard fire and only through quick action saved himself and his apartment building. I'm not trying to create panic, but if you're storing an ebike indoors it might be a good idea to at least spend a few minutes thinking about how to minimize risk.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 11, 2023 11:38 am 
I didn't even know Samsung made bikes!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Mar 11, 2023 1:29 pm 
London Fire Brigade has been tracking similar fires, by the dozen. They’ve noted in particular scooter initiated fires. Cheap units, cheaply made.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Apr 01, 2023 8:21 pm 
New York City is requiring battery powered bikes to comply with UL 2849.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

RumiDude
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Apr 02, 2023 11:40 am 
Pyrites wrote:
New York City is requiring battery powered bikes to comply with UL 2849.
For anybody who doesn't know what this means: The UL 2849 Standard aims to minimize risks from e-bike system fires or explosions, such as lithium-ion battery thermal runaway, as well as electric shock hazards. With this certification, UL continues to help innovators quickly bring to market safer and more sustainable electric mobility products. https://www.ul.com/about/global-impact-reports/annual-report/perform

Pyrites, RumiDude
uww

uww
PostMon May 15, 2023 11:01 am 
I ride a gravel bike now. While I imagine myself taking major backcountry and bikepacking adventures, 90% of my riding is commuting around Seattle. Like any respectable gear junkie, I am torn over the 10% of my use case where I want to ride fire roads and trails. Due to the weight, will I want a front shock for my alleged backcountry adventures? Will things like short portages be a no go? (Monte Cristo comes to mind) Looking at something like https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-roam-eplus but not sure I'll get twice the value vs. a Rad Rover 6 or something.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 15, 2023 11:18 am 
I did Monte Cristo on a gravel/road bike with 28 mm tires and drop bars. It's a little rough but very doable.

uww

uww
PostMon May 15, 2023 4:15 pm 
I’ve done it on my gravel bike too- not that bad really but I'm questioning if a 60 pound e-bike may be a different story to throw on my shoulder. I’d love to expand my range and explore more terrain like that- but wondering if I’d be playing with fire with a budget(ish) e-bike with a straight fork. Is that an electric Cervelo?

Cyclopath
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 18, 2023 11:16 am 
My Gazelle meets the NYC requirements. Expect a "fire sale" of ebikes being dumped from NYC folks.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 29, 2023 11:15 pm 
Traveled down to Portland today and brought back this bad boy. Finally pulled the trigger on an E-Bike. I had originally planned on getting a reliable yet relatively inexpensive (in E-Bike terms) model. But the longer I pondered for my use I realized I needed one that requires minimal maintenance and good range. I also realized a step-thru frame was better. Those requirements took me into more expensive models and manufacturers. Enter the Dutch bike maker Gazelle. They have been making highly crafted and reliable bikes for more than 130 years. They make some of the most reliable E-Bikes in the world. This is the Avignon 380 HMB, a model new for 2023. I hope to enjoy this for the next decade or two. Yea yea yea, it's tame compared to what most of you have, but I will mainly be using it to get myself around town in Port Angeles, to Sequim and back, and just in general giving me some independence because I don't drive an auto. I do have some reservations as to whether I should even be riding a bike given my vision level, but at least I am less likely to hurt others other than myself. Anyway, right now I am pleased with my purchase decision. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

neek
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 30, 2023 11:20 am 
Rumi, I have a Gazelle Arroyo Nerdy bicycle. I love it. It's been very reliable and sturdy. I have taken it off road, on trails, and it did fine. I can't ride hunched over. The upright position is what I like. Does your Gazelle have the MIK rack on the back? I had to get an adaptor but I like going to the store, taking off the panniers easily, and then they click in super easy when full of groceries. Working on hitting the 5000 mile mark here soon. Oh, and the bike mechanic who fixed the one thing that has gone wrong--chain jumped off and jammed, thought my bike would need new cassette? gears? with so many miles on it, he checked and said they were still in good shape and were made out of some good steel. He's a Trek dealer. Here are the Gazelle panniers that work on the MIK system. A watermelon is in one side. Never mind, it won't download on here today, I guess.

RumiDude