Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you snacking on?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 9:46 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 18, 2023 1:47 pm 
rockfish with roasted fennel 04/15/23
rockfish with roasted fennel 04/15/23
drizzled just a bit of olive oil over the top of the filet, then sprinkled a good amount of the Za'Atar mix and Sumax over the fish, drizzled a bit of lemon juice over it, and baked it sealed in parchment at 400° F for 17 minutes. end result was okay, but I think I went a bit heavy-handed on the Za'Atar mix, which overpowered the flavor of the fish. still experimenting with this stuff.
following up on my previous post here - that red stuff in the jar on the right is called "An-TEEK-ah". I still haven't quite figured out the Cyrillic alphabet, but that's what I was told by the lady who rang it up. I figured I'd better grab a bottle of each for a buddy of mine - it's that good. the red "hot sauce" has a really delightful flavor - deep, smoky - not "blow your head off" stuff. looks like I'm going to need another jar soon. Northern Fish had mussels on sale. I think they have clams on sale this week. Yum Yum! up.gif
mussels 04/16/23
mussels 04/16/23
mussels 04/17/23
mussels 04/17/23

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 18, 2023 2:17 pm 
other recent success stories ...
pan-fried beef tenderloin with roasted fennel 04/14/23
pan-fried beef tenderloin with roasted fennel 04/14/23
stir-fried salmon with broccoli and oyster mushrooms 04/01/23
stir-fried salmon with broccoli and oyster mushrooms 04/01/23
a slightly different twist on "fish and chips" 03/21/23
a slightly different twist on "fish and chips" 03/21/23
Willapa Bay Oysters on basmati with roasted parsnip and snap peas 03/20/23
Willapa Bay Oysters on basmati with roasted parsnip and snap peas 03/20/23
There used to be a restaurant in Westport - "Constantine's" (?) - run by a Greek gentleman who would cook me up a mess of oysters like this - dredged in Thyme - right before closing. I don't think the place is there any more.
seared yellowfin on basmati with roasted parsnip and salad 03/18/23
seared yellowfin on basmati with roasted parsnip and salad 03/18/23
roast rack of lamb with roasted fennel and potatoes 01/29/23
roast rack of lamb with roasted fennel and potatoes 01/29/23
black cod with roasted fennel, kumquat-ginger-cherry chutney and potato 03/22/23
black cod with roasted fennel, kumquat-ginger-cherry chutney and potato 03/22/23
(* should have used the tart red cherries and not the sweet black cherries - the black ones threw the color off.)
pan-fried beef tenderloin with farfalle 03/09/23
pan-fried beef tenderloin with farfalle 03/09/23
went up and cooked dinner for Mom this night. broiled lamb chops with mango-ginger-cherry chutney, roasted beet and prune salad, oyster mushrooms, and steamed kale 01/17/23
went up and cooked dinner for Mom this night. broiled lamb chops with mango-ginger-cherry chutney, roasted beet and prune salad, oyster mushrooms, and steamed kale 01/17/23
* tried different combinations on the beet-prune salad. I think I like it best with crumbled feta, a little olive oil, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and fresh cilantro. up.gif YMMV

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 19, 2023 8:50 am 
farfalle with pesto and an eggplant thing 04/25/23
farfalle with pesto and an eggplant thing 04/25/23
pan-fried beef tenderloin and cucumber salad 04/18/23
pan-fried beef tenderloin and cucumber salad 04/18/23
Goose Point oysters on potato with salad 04/27/23
Goose Point oysters on potato with salad 04/27/23
Goose Point oysters on basmati with beet salad 04/28/23
Goose Point oysters on basmati with beet salad 04/28/23
Goose Point oysters on basmati 04/29/23
Goose Point oysters on basmati 04/29/23
Lamb with mango-ginger-cranberry chutney and gai lin 05/04/23
Lamb with mango-ginger-cranberry chutney and gai lin 05/04/23
chicken with yakisoba 05/07/23
chicken with yakisoba 05/07/23
wild sockeye filet with yakisoba 05/08/23
wild sockeye filet with yakisoba 05/08/23

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 02, 2023 11:58 pm 
time for a little update here...
broiled lamb chops and roasted potato 05/11/23
broiled lamb chops and roasted potato 05/11/23
pan-fried beef tenderloin with roasted potato 05/19/23
pan-fried beef tenderloin with roasted potato 05/19/23
pan-fried New York strip with roasted fennel 06/26/23
pan-fried New York strip with roasted fennel 06/26/23
and the real reason I had to post this update:
roast leg of lamb 07/01/23
roast leg of lamb 07/01/23
I went up to spend a few days with Mom while my sister was away. She said she'd bought a boneless leg of lamb she wanted me to cook. I hauled my stone up there and put edges on her knives, then picked a good one and spent some time trimming all of the fat and connective tissue from a 4-pound butterflied boneless leg of lamb. I probably tossed a good pound in the trash. At that point, it was fairly mangled, but I pieced it together and "stuffed" it as best I could with a mixture of finely minced - fresh mint leaf (big handful from the Farmers' Market) - fresh spinach leaf (big handful) - garlic (one stout head) - walnuts (about a cup) I mixed that up with the juice of a lemon; the zest of a quarter of that lemon, finely minced; rosemary; thyme; oregano; black pepper; paprika; salt; ground cumin; ground coriander, and a copious amount of olive oil. Tied it up with twine, seared it all around, and baked it at 325° for a ridiculously long 40 minutes, then sealed in foil for ten minutes, then sliced. Was a wee bit more on the "medium" side than the "medium-rare" I was shooting for. Next time: screw these idiots posting recipes on websites for leg of lamb - pull it out at 130° F! It was really tasty. I outdid myself on this one. That said, I'm having the leftover "vegetarian" lasagne Mom put together a couple nights ago. Who knew you could have so much fun with spinach?
wink.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 06, 2023 7:25 am 
Neighbor lady asked me if I could assemble a piece of furniture for her, so we hauled it over here and I spent a few hours putting the thing together and then went and set it on her front porch. She called me on the phone a few hours later and asked "How much do I owe you?" I said "Don't worry about it - not a big deal." She persisted and insisted, so I said "Okay, I'll settle for a bottle of a decent Cabernet." Tuesday afternoon she walks over with my "payment" and this cute little cake thingie. (The "Too Slim" CD is a recent acquisition. Check 'em out)
payment for furniture assembly 07/04/23
payment for furniture assembly 07/04/23
six-hour lamb stew on couscous/farro/basmati* with roasted fennel 07/05/23[/i:3fae553b9b]
six-hour lamb stew on couscous/farro/basmati* with roasted fennel 07/05/23
* 1/3 cup Trader Joe's "Harvest Grain" 1/3 cup Trader Joe's "10-minute Farro" 1/3 cup basmati rice bring 1-1/2 cups water to full boil add a dollop of butter and some salt. lots of salt. stir in grain mix. cover. reduce to simmer. simmer 20 minutes. turn burner OFF, leave pan ON burner. wait 5 minutes. remove cover and stir. serve. I've found a 5:7 ratio** (grain-to-water) seems to work best with this mix, and a longer cooking time takes that "crunch" off of the couscous. ** (The way I typed the recipe above shows a 4:6 ratio, which seemed to work fine as well. I've played around with this mix for the last two or three years, always fiddling with the proportions.) YMMV

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 07, 2023 4:44 pm 
Why does Ski always have such a small amount of wine in his glass? biggrin.gif

sarbar
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 08, 2023 1:35 am 
^ because you're not supposed to pour above the hip of the glass. Unfortunately, I've broken all of my wine glasses. If you ever wondered why I eat off steel plates, the twelve years of ballet training didn't teach me to not be such a klutz in the kitchen. Had a guest for dinner and was wanting to impress. Fixed up some scallops with a butter/lemon/moscato/dill/caper glaze for an appetizer....
scallops with lemon and capers 07/07/23
scallops with lemon and capers 07/07/23
As an introduction for my guest to wild fungi, I had the luxury of availing myself to the offerings of Central Co-Op, whose produce manager was kind enough to procure some select fungi for me from Adam's Farms out of Shelton:
chicken thigh with morels 07/07/23[/i:b07bf3581f]
chicken thigh with morels 07/07/23
Scallops: seared quickly on both sides in hot oil with a sprinkle of a "Cajun Spice Mix" (red pepper, black pepper, salt) DO NOT OVERCOOK finish in 400° F oven while making sauce: deglaze pan with dollop of butter add lemon juice, moscato, tiny bit of Dijon mustard, dry dill weed, a bit of the "Cajun Spice Mix", bit of white sugar. reduce until thickened a bit, plate, serve. Chicken: trim all fat and connective tissue from boneless skinless thighs lightly salted and seared quickly on both sides. finish in 400° F oven for 10-15 minutes while sauce is reducing: deglaze pan with a dollop of butter add reduced vegetable stock, Herbs de Provence, tiny splash of the Moscato thickened with about half a teaspoon of Arrowroot powder mixed with cold water reduced by half, then stirred in Morels which had previously been sauteed in olive oil and butter remove chicken from oven and plate. YMMV Maybe I should get one of those fancy "smart phone" things so I can take better photos:

HitTheTrail
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 8:51 am 
baked rockfish with parsnip and carrot 07/15/23
baked rockfish with parsnip and carrot 07/15/23
midnight avocado and parmesan omelette 08/04/23
midnight avocado and parmesan omelette 08/04/23
English muffin [b:b268022c0a][url=https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1255771#1255771]with Blackberry Huckleberry jam[/url][/b:b268022c0a] 08/04/23 [/i:b268022c0a]
English muffin with Blackberry Huckleberry jam 08/04/23

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 9:59 am 
buffalo sirloin, roasted potato and mushroom, and pasta salad 08/04/23
buffalo sirloin, roasted potato and mushroom, and pasta salad 08/04/23
* The pasta salad recipe was borrowed from PCC and adapted along the way: - farfalle or penne - sun-dried tomato - toasted whole almond (roast @ 300° F for about 20-30 minutes) - sliced black olive - grated parmesan - olive oil, raspberry vinegar, seasonings variants: - capers - small pieces of lightly steamed asparagus spears (do not add until you've arrived AT the potluck - stir in at last minute!) - pitted green olive

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 08, 2023 12:39 pm 
farfalle with smoked salmon, sun-dried tomatoes, capers and parmesan 08/07/23[/i:da69e78283]
farfalle with smoked salmon, sun-dried tomatoes, capers and parmesan 08/07/23

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 8:47 am 
Ski's just being a showoff with those wine glasses. I just use jelly jars for wine. And that's if I'm feeling fancy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 9:30 am 
^ truth is: I had broken my last wine glass and was using the big "jelly jar" glasses for a couple weeks... and figured out that I was drinking WAY too much wine because the glasses were so much larger. so when I finally remembered to BUY some new wine glasses, those were the only ones they had at that "Home Goods" store over next to Trader Joes... and I wasn't about to go "shopping" for wine glasses - I grabbed what they had, knowing that my clumsy hands will destroy them in short order. I just hope these don't slice open my fingers as badly as some others have when trying to wash them. wink.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 02, 2023 12:35 am 
chicken stir fry 08/30/23
chicken stir fry 08/30/23
Trader Joe's has fresh figs in! WOW! 09/01/23[/i:2f86c8c881]
Trader Joe's has fresh figs in! WOW! 09/01/23

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 16, 2023 7:49 am 
beef tenderloin with sauteed squash 09/03/23
beef tenderloin with sauteed squash 09/03/23
beef with brussels sprouts and zucchini 09/05/23
beef with brussels sprouts and zucchini 09/05/23
beef with roasted pepper and mushroom 09/07/23
beef with roasted pepper and mushroom 09/07/23
lamb chops with roasted potato and sauteed squash 09/09/23
lamb chops with roasted potato and sauteed squash 09/09/23
tri-tip with squash and potato 09/14/23
tri-tip with squash and potato 09/14/23
linquine with meat sauce and bread 09/15/23
linquine with meat sauce and bread 09/15/23