Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road Conditions / Closures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 pm 
Official Sites - source of much of the information here Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest - Alerts and Notices Road and Trail Conditions Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest - Current Conditions Olympic National Forest - new Current Conditions page is now available Olympic National Park - Current Road Conditions hotline 360-565-3131 Mt Rainier National Park - Current Road Conditions hotline 360-569-2211 press 2 then (2 for current road conditions or 3 for anticipated opening/construction projects) Gifford Pinchot National Forest - Alerts & Notices Washington State DOT - Mountain Passes Naches Ranger District - Conditions Wenatchee River Ranger District - Conditions In general, post in alphabetical order by common road name within each section unless there are more natural geographical groupings (e.g. North Fork XXX, South Fork XXX) Mount Rainier Corral Pass (FS 7174) Closed since 2015 fire, campground area high severity fire with many hazardous trees. Chinook Pass (SR 410) website Mowich Lake Road (SR 165) Mowich Lake, Spray Park, Echo/Observation Rock Typically opens in July Stevens Canyon Road Grand Park back door, Huckleberry Creek Rd 73, Was in good condition 2023 all of the way to Lonesome Lake I-90 Talapus (9030), Mason Lake (9031)? Cold Creek Road (9070) to Windy Pass and PCT 7-22-2022 Drove to Mt Catherine TH in Subaru Forester. Several sections of serious potholes. Two sections with parallel gullies along the length of the road. Once the fall rains start those gullies will collect water and I suspect serious road damage will result. Joey Tinkham (55), Good condition as of Fall 2023. May have logging traffic from Hansen Creek in 2024. Garcia (9020) ? Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road (FS 56) Mailbox TH, Taylor River TH, Dingford Creek TH, Goldmyer Hot Springs 05/15/23. Paved section open. Gravel section to Dingford trailhead is very rough.The Goldmyer Access Report usually has updated road conditions. [b]North Fork Snoqualmie Road (FS 57) Bare, Dog, Goat, Phelps, ... 10/01/2014 A $75 permit is required to access Hancock Timber lands along the North Fork road. The road is public and you can drive through Hancock lands to reach FS areas for free, but you can't park and climb Fuller or visit other attractions on their land without the permit. Rocky Run (FS 4832) The spur (136 per Google Maps) to the backdoor TH is extra brushy but save for a nasty water channel right at the beginning and some moderate rutting about halfway in is still more or less drivable. Extra clearance would be good, don't take a car you don't want to add pinstripes to. Teanaway North Fork Teanaway road (9737) Teanaway Middle Fork (NFD 113) Jack Creek Road (9738) Stafford Creek Road 9703 Beverly turnpike road (1391) (7.28.2021, Joey) Two bad spots washing out. We were very careful and did OK in a Subaru Forester. Low clearance might not make it. Jungle Creek (FS 9701) Teanaway Butte, Way Creek trail, Jungle Creek trail "Road Closed" sign at the beginning of the road. Cle Elum Trails - road closures - [*][b]Taneum - Manastash Area
  • FSR 3350 - South Cle Elum Ridge Road
  • FSR 33 - Taneum Road
  • FSR 3100 - Manastash Road
  • FSR 3120 near 3100 Junction. [/b]
  • FSR 3100 near Buck Meadows.
  • FSR 4517-117 - Granite Creek Road.
[*]Cle Elum Valley - FSR 4308 - French Cabin at 120 Junction. [*]Cle Elum Valley Road NF-4330 [*]Swauk and Liberty FSR 9707 - Pole Patch Road - two areas - First near spur 115, the second is near 4WD319. [*]Red Top Road [/list] [b]Teanaway Ridge/Jack Creek (FS 9738) ? Mountain Loop Mountain Loop Highway, Likely to melt out by late May 2023 Green Mtn Road (FS 41) - Tupso Pass, Three Fingers, Closed @ mile 8.6 due to damage to South Fork Canyon Creek bridge. No time line for repairs. Approx 10 miles to trail head @ Tupso Pass FS 4110, Green Mtn., Pot holed..more like craters. 6/4/14 FS 4111, Canyon Lake, Closed at mile 0 due to wash out. 6/4/14 FS 42, Mt Pilchuck, reconstructed 2023 North Fork Sauk Road (FS 49), 4096 Bedal Creek High clearance recommended, brushed out. Call the Darrington Ranger District at 360-436-1155 for current information Segelsen Road (FS 18), Call the Darrington Ranger District at 360-436-1155 for current information. www.fs.usda.gov/mbs Pugh (2095), Closed (seasonal) Straight Creek Road (FS 27), Multiple washouts Suiattle River Road (FS 26), Tenas Creek Road (FS 2660), Severe fire damage after bridge, expect fallen trees Whitechuck River Road (FS 23), Washed out at mile 4, possible to bike past. C-Post Mt Higgens access. Must park near 530 and hike in. Highway 2 & Leavenworth FSR #62 and roads to Persis trailhead - Gate often CLOSED. If locked in call sheriff. Sultan Basin Road, ? Beckler River Road (FS 65), ? Chiwawa River Road (FS 6200) Phelps Creek TH, Spider Gap, Buck Creek Pass, Gate at end of paved road may be closed Icicle Creek Road (FS 7600) - Chatter Creek, 4th of July Creek, Icicle Creek, Snow Lakes In Winter, usually closed to wheeled vehicles past the 8 Mile Road junction. Eight Mile Road (FS 7601) - Enchantments, Colchuck Lake Usually closed in winter to wheeled vehicles. NFD 6024 - Baring Mountain Barclay Lake Road is closed indefinitely due to 2022 Bolt Creek Fire Ranger Road (FS 7701) 6/6/20 - gate closed at bottom North Cascades and Baker, Mt Baker Ranger District Church Mountain (FR 3040), Welcome Pass (FR 3060), rough Canyon Creek (FR 31), good condition, may have logging traffic or construction over the next several years Nooksack Road (FR 34), Deadhorse Road (FR 37), Washed out at around mile 3, Middle Fork Nooksack (FR 38), long with a good number of potholes Glacier Creek (FR 39), Washed out repaired October 2023 Thompson Creek (FR 3910) North Cascades Highway (SR 20), Cascade River Road (FR 15), Open to Park Boundary Sibley Creek, Hidden Lake (FR 1540), Road is rough but popular. Very bad section at last switchback barely passable to a Subaru. Illabot Creek Road (FR 16), very brushy and narrow. Not recommended during rain events due to the landslide risk. Mt. St. Helens Due to a fire there is no longer a shelter at Marble Mountain Sno-Park. Forest Road 10 2012. Closed. Mitchell Peak north access - from DNR: "While the forestland is managed by DNR, the only access road to the trailhead—10 Road—cuts across private landownership, and the new landowner has gated and closed access to the road just east of the intersection with the S-1000 Road. DNR does not have a recreation easement for recreation access across this road. DNR land managers are working on a solution.In the meantime, the only access to Mitchell Peak trail is from the North Siouxon Creek Trailhead, in the southern part of the Siouxon Block. The distance from this trailhead to the top of Mitchell Peak is about 13 miles." Olympic Peninsula Olympic National Park - see current road conditions. Mount Baldy, Maynard Burn, Tyler Peak - FS 2870/120, ? Mount Ellinor, FR 24 and 2419 Mount Jupiter Road The trail and access to the trailhead are closed through fall of 2023. Yakima County/ Naches Ranger District S. Fork Tieton Road 1000 wildcat 1306 road McDaniel Lake/Buck Lake Road No. 1502 1504 road Rattlesnake Mount Hood National Forest

Wiki summmary last edited by nilloc29 on Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:48 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
cathorse

cathorse
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 7:14 am 
Very curious if anyone has any info on current road conditions up the North Fork Teanaway beyond 29 Pines. I am interested in both the mainline as well as the Stafford Road. Thanks to all in advance!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 7:55 am 
I did a loop up to Stafford Lookout last weekend. Parked just before the Y junction on 9737, headed up FS 112 to the Stafford TH, took the old road and then dropped down the south ridge. Both FS 9703 and 112 had bare patches but were mostly snow covered. That being said, I know it's warmed up a bit this week so I wouldn't be surprised if it was drivable in the next week or so. FS 9737 had some snow patches up to the Y junction that were melting fast. There was a Road Closed ahead sign but I'm not sure where the closure is. Hope that helps.

cathorse
nilloc29

nilloc29
PostMon May 01, 2023 7:48 pm 
Mountain Loop Closures - Mt. Pilchuck road is closed this season for road construction. - Boardman Creek Road will close from May 15th through July for construction. - Lake 22 trail will close in September for trail work -Big Four trail will be closed May 15-June 30th for trail work

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostWed May 10, 2023 3:41 pm 
Mountain Loop update: Was out at Big 4 again today. There is one patch of snow before the Ice Caves TH that will be gone by this weekend. Otherwise the highway is clear as far as I could see (we stopped at picnic area). I ran into a couple of gentlemen from the county doing clearing work and they estimated two more weeks before the gate opens. Should be excellent biking next week after the heat wave!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

dylpickle, RichP
dylpickle

dylpickle
PostSun May 14, 2023 10:55 am 
Mountain Loop: Biking yesterday; hit snow at MP 30, just shy of Barlow Pass, should be melted out in the next couple of days. Still some clearing of trees for crews. Also tried to bike up 4068 (Sunrise Mine) but hit snow shortly at the creek. If the road is still closed to cars for another week or so, will be some great bike/ski touring access to some of the climbs in the area without the masses.

KascadeFlat
RichP

RichP
PostSat May 20, 2023 7:45 am 
I was able to drive FS 40 up to Clearwater Lookout at 5600'+ in the Blue Mtns yesterday. Surprised me that the road was snow-free and dry all the way up from Pomeroy. I didn't go beyond this but there looks to be quite a bit of snow on the higher ridges still

ejain
nilloc29

nilloc29
PostSun May 21, 2023 4:03 pm 
I toured the Gifford Pinchot out of Randle this weekend: Rd 23 (Cispus River to Trout Lake): Snow at MP 28. That is 4.14 miles and 1000ft of elevation from the pass. Pavement is buckled sporadically and you really have to watch the road in front of you to avoid the dips. Rd 25 (Randle to Windy Ridge turnoff and Carson): North bound lane from Windy Ridge turn to Rd 23 is severely slumped and dangerous. It has been bad for years and does not look any worse than when I last saw it in 2019. There is an ongoing project to repair the road but they must have started on the Carson side last summer. You will probably find a wall of snow at Wakepish snow park but I did not go that far. Rd 28 (Connects 23 and 25 via Yellowjacket Creek) There is an impassable landslide just south of the Pinto Creek Bridge. It looks like an easy repair so I am optimistic it will get fixed soon. Langille Ridge Trailhead was accessible with alder debris on the road out to it from the 28. It is a motorcycle trail but did not look very heavily used. I would expect a lot of debris on the trail. Nat Geo does not even show the road to the trailhead. Rd 29 (Accesses Dark Divide Trails via Mccoy Creek) Repairs from 2016/17 floods are impressive. Several creeks had entirely wiped out the road. The road becomes brushy after Jumbo Creek and there is still a massive washout about 2 miles from the boundary trailhead. Rough trailhead was easily accessible off of the 29. The trail was obscured with debris so it could be hard to follow. It is also a motorcycle trail but did not look heavily used. Rd 2904 (Accesses Juniper Ridge) The road was passable with medium clearance water bars and a lot of alder debris. Snow was at trailhead. I walked down the road beyond the trailhead and there is a logging unit that opened up views toward Adams. I think they were trying to make Huckleberry habitat because there is just one large unit that was left with very sparse trees. Juniper Ridge trail looks like fun even with the motorcycles. I plan to come back someday. Rd 2801 (South bank of Cispus River) This connection is washed out again and they put gates at either end.

Salal, RichP, JimK
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 23, 2023 12:20 pm 
Tuesday May 23, 2023 11:41 PDT Joint News Release- Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest Summer operations and closures in Quinault area for Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park QUINAULT, WA, May 23, 2023 — Visitors to the Olympic Peninsula this summer should be aware of multiple closures and construction projects occurring this summer in the Lake Quinault area at both Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park managed areas. Ranger stations for both the Park Service and Forest Service will open over Memorial Day weekend, details below. Visitor Information: Olympic National Park visitor and wilderness information will be available at the Quinault Rain Forest Ranger Station on North Shore Road. Open daily, 9-4 PM, Memorial Day to Labor Day, as staffing allows. Wilderness permits and bear cans will be issued during operating hours. Bear can returns will be accepted 24/7 in drop bin outside the ranger station. Olympic National Forest visitor information will be available at the Quinault Ranger Station on South Shore Road. Open Thursday – Saturday, starting May 25th, from 8-3 PM. Park Service wilderness permits, and bear cans cannot be issued or returned at this location. Roads: Visitors cannot complete the entire Quinault Loop, from either direction, as the North Shore Road is closed at milepost 14.5. Graves Creek Road will open May 25th after initial bridge repairs are complete. The Road will close again in early August to finalize bridge repairs. Additional bridge repairs in the area will occur over the summer. Visitors are urged to use caution as there will be single lane closures with temporary delays. Campgrounds: North Fork Campground and trailheads are accessible by driving North Shore Road. Graves Creek Road, campground, and trailheads can be accessed via the South Shore Road after May 25th. Willaby Campground and Falls Creek Campground remain closed due to hazard trees. Boat Launches: The boat launch at Willaby Campground will be open Friday – Sunday, starting May 26th, from 8am-6pm to accommodate boat launch access only. Parking will only be allowed in the boat launch area. Visitors are reminded that Lake Quinault is managed by the Quinault Indian Nation. Permits can be purchased at the Rain Forest Resort and Quinault Mercantile; both located along South Shore Rd. The boat launch at Falls Creek Campground is closed year-round. Visit the Olympic National Forest and Park’s websites and follow us on social media for updates and other summer recreation information. More information and a map can be found here: Quinault Area Brochure Olympic National Forest Olympic National Park

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Mountainpines, Salal
scottk

scottk
PostMon May 29, 2023 6:27 pm 
Any beta on conditions up Forest Road 23? It seems like things are melting out early this year with our warm May.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 30, 2023 10:42 am 
scottk wrote:
Any beta on conditions up Forest Road 23? It seems like things are melting out early this year with our warm May.
According to the USFS website, as of May 18 2023, it's still washed out at m.p. 4. Road 27 is closed on the other side, no reason noted, just says a closure order is in effect . DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE DEAL IS with the 27 road? Long, (familiar) story short - there's no access to the Circle Peak/Meadow Mtn area. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
nilloc29

nilloc29
PostWed May 31, 2023 10:57 pm 
There are many 23 roads but the reply was about the White Chuck River. If the main route on the Gifford Pinchot was meant, my maps show it melted out 10 miles south of the 21 junction. From Trout Lake it is open for 8 miles or so. Only 19 miles left to melt! Rd 27:
A tributary of straight creek plugged its culvert and diverted down the road. One of the worst washouts I have seen. It is around a half mile of severe damage. Rd 23:
A good reminder that the river drainages around Glacier Peak are full of lahar debris that is not very stable. This repair will require a significant reroute, it could be a couple years. It is easy to hike past or walk a bike past the washout on the 23 road.

nilloc29

nilloc29
PostSat Jun 10, 2023 9:45 am 
North Fork Skykomish rd 63 is blocked by a landslide at a creek crossing about half a mile before the Blanca Lake Trailhead.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 05, 2023 3:04 pm 
Wednesday July 5 2023 13:57 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Hurricane Ridge vehicle capacity to increase After more than a week of Hurricane Ridge being reopened, Olympic National Park is increasing the number of vehicles that can enter from 315 to 345 per day. Portable toilet capacity has been closely monitored and 30 more vehicles per day can be accommodated. In the first week, the vehicle quota has been reached as early as 10:00 AM and as late as 12:15 PM. Wait times to enter have varied between no wait time and 1.5 hours. The first week of operation did include a holiday weekend, which increased visitation numbers. The Clallam Transit shuttle to Hurricane Ridge has been operating six shuttles per day. Their average ridership has been 245 people per day. The shuttle remains a great option for visitors when the road closes to private vehicles. Visitors are encouraged to arrive early in the morning to gain entry to Hurricane Ridge. The first 175 vehicles can enter without waiting, but the next 170 vehicles will experience wait times due to parking lot capacity. After 345 vehicles have entered for the day, the road will close to private vehicle traffic. The Clallam Transit shuttle to Hurricane Ridge picks up visitors from the Gateway Transit Center in Port Angeles, WA. It is a 45-minute ride from Port Angeles to Hurricane Ridge. Visitors should read Clallam Transit’s website for fare and schedule details: Hurricane Ridge Shuttle. The shuttle does not stop at the Olympic National Park Visitor Center on Mount Angeles Road. Visitor capacity at Hurricane Ridge is limited because after the Hurricane Ridge Day Lodge burned down on May 7th, the area was left without any utilities. In order to reopen the area, the park procured numerous portable toilets. However, those toilets have a limited capacity and must be serviced regularly. To ensure that capacity is not breached, the park is limiting the number of visitors to Hurricane Ridge. For more details on entry to Hurricane Ridge, please visit the park’s website: Hurricane Ridge - Post-Fire. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 27, 2023 8:52 pm 
Anyone know if the Tenas creek road is clear all the way to the Boulder lake TH?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
nilloc29

nilloc29
PostMon Aug 07, 2023 12:14 am 
Tenas Creek road is open but very sketchy after the bridge. I am surprised that they opened it, the fire was very high severity up there.