Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > For the Love of God CAN WE PLEASE STOP LYING TO OURSELVES ABOUT PLASTIC?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun May 21, 2023 9:58 am 
The measurement of food safety and security risks associated with micro- and nanoplastic pollution Abstract Agricultural systems are increasingly impacted by micro- and nanoplastic (MNP) pollution raising concerns for food safety and security. Who could have possibly foreseen that saturating the food chain with plastic containers would result in health effects from plastic consumption? The answer: Sciencey People

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSun May 21, 2023 1:42 pm 
definitely bad. beyond bad, horrible. but it's one of those things that we as humans have done and now it has a momentum of its own and is impossible to stop. I guess the first step is awareness of the problem. Can we turn it around before it does us all in?

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun May 21, 2023 7:36 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
The question is pretty immediate for me. What the heck do I do with this big heavy dead thing?
If it is under 11 lbs you can recycle it at Home Depot.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

coldrain108
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 22, 2023 2:00 pm 
Besides minimizing the stuff we buy in single use plastic containers, perhaps it best to send them to the landfill instead the recycling stream The little-known unintended consequence of recycling plastics https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2023/05/22/plastic-recycling-microplastic-pollution/

Dick B

Dick B
PostWed May 24, 2023 5:56 pm 
Back on the subject about what to do with old tires. An article just came across the internet about a project started back in the 70s. It placed 2 million old tires off the coast of Florida to create an artificial reef. It turned out to be an environmental disaster, and they had to be removed. The article said there are still 500,000 down there. The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Chief Joseph
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 24, 2023 6:46 pm 
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 9:12 am 
Stefan wrote:
Yes, you care--other people do not care like you care.
This is the mantra of NWhikers. Group hug.

Ski
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Oct 10, 2023 10:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I estimated 5 times thicker, the info below seems to show 4 times thicker.
I thought the new bags were made from some type of new biodegradable material and that is why they are so thick. I tried to peal one of the new plastic bags off the holder to put my groceries in, damn thing had no friction and didn't peal open like the regular plastic ones did. Really made me feel old.

none
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 15, 2023 10:56 am 
^ The new bags are thicker so they're not "Single Use Plastic Bags" like the flimsy thin ones they used to use (and in which they had to double-bag anything heavier than a potato.) I suppose we can reasonably assume it will take five times as long for them to break down into tiny particles and then be found mixed in with the sand on all of our beaches globally. C'est la vie.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Waterman, Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 05, 2023 7:24 pm 
by Michael Leunig https://www.leunig.com.au/
by Michael Leunig https://www.leunig.com.au/

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Ski  day_hike_mike
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 5:37 pm 
The Fraud of Plastic Recycling © 2024 Center for Climate Integrity / *.pdf format 2.9 MB == as an aside: I just learned today that the State of Rwanda banned all single-use plastic containers.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 5:44 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I was living downwind of that at the time

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 5:49 pm 
Microplastics found in every human placenta tested in study
Quote:
Prof Matthew Campen, at the University of New Mexico, US, who led the research, said: “If we are seeing effects on placentas, then all mammalian life on this planet could be impacted. That’s not good.”

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 6:23 pm 
Interesting that this topic has surfaced again. It was also the lead story on NPR's Science Friday for March 15th; right after the intro. Microplastics in the bloodstream linked to increased cardiac problems.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 7:02 pm 
^ I've been up to visit Mom a few times lately. Each time we go to Costco, where she buys eggs. The eggs are packaged two dozen in a plastic "egg carton" container. The same plastic that Trader Joe's and Safeway and QFC put all of their produce into. The same plastic that cannot be picked up curbside - I have to pile it up and then haul it to the transfer station, where it (supposedly) is fed into the "recycle" stream. There is no plastic recycling in Sequim, Washington. (population 8241, but that's just within the very tiny City Limits.) When we were at Costco, my mom said "Oh, it's like this every day," when I asked her if it was always so difficult to find a parking space. ALL of that plastic coming out of that Costco in tiny Sequim is going into a landfill somewhere, other than the minuscule amount that might be being recycled (which I believe we can reasonably assume isn't much.)