Forum Index > Trail Talk > MRNP seeks input on timed entry plan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon May 01, 2023 11:52 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has made a response to the NPS proposal?
Yes. Preferred alternative, for me.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon May 01, 2023 12:04 pm 
altasnob wrote:
We have until June 11 to make a comment, so what's the rush? Also, it seems like a forgone conclusion that reserved timed entry is coming. Only the minute details are left to sort out.
I posted this hoping to get the conversation back on track. Common tactic.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 01, 2023 12:09 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Yes. Preferred alternative, for me.
Mine was basically that timed entry is horrible, but obviously necessary. And that a shuttle has to be the next option.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon May 01, 2023 9:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Cars are not the future
Cars are most definitely the future. If you think people love their cars now, just wait until the convenience of a self-driving car. We could sleep while our car drives us to the rainier entry gate at 5am. Timed entry beating AND the annoying 2 hour drive is gone. Or get some work done while driving home. I think i'll drive to yosemite while working remotely today. No parking? I'll have the car drive around and wait for me. Car driven overcrowding of remote areas is about to get so much worse. To be fair it will be much safer.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 02, 2023 7:21 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I have.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
dixon

dixon
PostMon May 22, 2023 6:44 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I have.
I was considering doing so but wondering if there is any point? Does the NPS take into consideration the responses or is it just political theater to appease the public?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon May 22, 2023 10:23 pm 
With a timed entry you're just gonna get a big group of these ticket hustler types loitering out in front of the gate. You'll be seeing 200-300 of these guys that turn around and immediately sell on the black market doing business to a scene of 500+ cars looking to wait out the sellers for a cheap deal. Getting out of the cars, drinking beers and whatnot. DAILY BASIS!!! Smoking cigarettes!! these guys are out there on a daily basis flipping tickets!! With a timed entry no one will ever go in the park because the game will be to just WAIT OUT the ticket hustler types!!

Mountainpines
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 23, 2023 8:45 am 
dixon wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I have.
I was considering doing so but wondering if there is any point? Does the NPS take into consideration the responses or is it just political theater to appease the public?
NPS....? Not sure. I know one of a few other reasons the USFS kept the Illabot Road opened was due to volume of responses, many generated by NWHikers. But that's a local issue, and a few hundred responses was big time for that. A few hundred for MRNP is a blip, I would think.... NPS has the interest of the entire nation (can't recall if worldwide responses are considered..? )

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 am 
Quote:
Yes, they take responses into account. The Enchanted Valley Chalet in ONP is a good example. There's no safe place for that building to me--it's going to get taken out by some natural force. That has been established. It needs to be taken out before it's swept into the river. But the volume of responses from people wanting to save it (how?) has kept this process going for years. Friends groups and very involved citizens can also have a big impact. And of course, politicians have the biggest impact. The NPS can do all the studies and solicit all the comments, but if a senator doesn't like it, probably because it will prevent someone from making money, that's that. The worst example of that that I know of is with Brooks Lodge at Katmai NP. The lodge and cabins are in a bear travel corridor in a place that has the densest concentration of brown bears in the world. The NPS wanted to move the lodge--a collection of simply log cabins--to a site nearby but on the other side of the river, NOT in the travel corridor. It would have solved a huge problem. Sen. Ted Stevens fishing buddy went every year and liked where the lodge was, and of course the lodge thought it would be a hassle to move; Ted single handedly blocked the NPS from doing anything.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 8:56 am 
I visited two consecutive years and never had the problem anywhere. It’s our luck, not necessarily timing it. That would make the park more congested I believe.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 8:58 am 
They actually did that last year for us. We just flashed our card and were routed around.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:00 am 
A lot of break ins close to Ashford. It will increase theft since it’s not inside the park. We saw broken car windows in that area.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:06 am 
I think they're going to do the timed entry. I was poking around Yosemite's site, after reading a response to WTA's FB comment about the MRNP proposal. Yosemite collaborated with Federal Highways for studies to help determine a timed entry program during COVID. While they have suspended that program this year, there is an active public process about re-instating it permanently. That doesn't mean it's the solution people want and that folks should just throw their hands up and agree; but for them, and for MRNP, it is likely the least time-consuming, staff-sucking, and costly mechanism. But it does fly in the face of access for all.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:07 am 
Nope. Road trippers don’t love shuttle buses! Where did you get that idea? People foremost love flexibility. At times buses work, other times they don’t, but are necessary.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:10 am 
I didn't like the buses in Yosemite. The buses were crowded with lines, the worst experience we ever had. Better to have a timed entry instead. But the shuttle in Zion worked but created crowds at a few stops while other areas don’t even get visited.