Forum Index > Photography Talk > Galaxy s23 ultra
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostMon May 22, 2023 8:00 pm 
Hey yall, just upgraded to a nice camera phone! I was wondering what everyone thinks on the aspect ratio I should use while out and about!? I was considering using the 3:4 200mp but I think I've used 9:16 in the past here on the site. The 3:4 200mp seems it would be better quality but I'm worried it will stretch or elongate the photos. Anyway apparently I don't know sh## about photography but any bit of insight would be greatly appreciated! As always, cheers! rocker.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon May 22, 2023 9:00 pm 
Use 3:4 and crop if you need to. 9:16 just cuts off the sides for you, giving you overall less sensor coverage. 200mp vs binning...well, there's a lot of opinion online; I don't have that phone and can't comment, but unless you're Ansel Adams, wasting the processing power and storage on a noisy 200mp image seems a little silly to me. Definitely read up on other settings and controls as well so that you can get a feel for when overriding defaults makes sense. I often reduce HDR and tweak white balance on my Pixel 7 since it's annoying/impossible to do afterwards.

ozzy
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 29, 2023 4:38 pm 
Use it in not cropped mode. You can crop later if you want. Don't let the software remove options for you. You probably don't want to record the full 200 mpx unless you plan to make large prints. I would love to hear more about the cameras in the S23 Ultra in the real world after you've had some time with them.

ozzy, pula58
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jun 05, 2023 8:24 am 
The maximum available photo printing is 4000 dpi. Although 1200 dpi is more typical. For a large 18x24 print, 18 x 24 = 428 square inches 482 square inches x 4000 dpi = 1.73 megapixels With cropping 24 Megapixels cameras are more than adequate. Super high 200mp resolution will just fill your memory faster without any real benefit. One 1/4 of that at 50 MB would be a better compromise, and 25 MB would be fine.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau

ozzy