Forum Index > Trail Talk > Scuttle Butt - Hurricane Ridge Lodge Fire ~~ Confirmed Lodge Burned To The Ground
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSun May 21, 2023 3:21 pm 
Ski wrote:
While it is true that NPS gift shops do make a slight amount of profit, it's negligible in the larger picture. The objective has never been for the National Park Service to "make a profit", but rather those businesses and communities that are dependent upon the Parks for their survival - aka "Gateway Communities" like Ashford, Elbe, Wilkinson, Carbonado, etc. When you restrict access to a National Park, or reduce services, those businesses and communities immediately outside the Park suffer the detrimental consequences, like the Brinnon Store, which went out of business as a direct result of the closure of the Dosewallips Road. Again, National Parks are drivers of local economies. If maintaining vibrant local economies requires peddling Chinese-made schlock to the tourists, so be it. The more I think about people taking selfies holding up their $20.00 latte' with the Bailey Range in the background, the more I like the idea of a Starbuck's franchise up there at Hurricane Ridge. I'd bet it would be just like that shave ice place up on the north shore of O'ahu where stupid haole tourists stand in line for 45 minutes to buy a fancy snow cone with cold beans in it. I'm going to send Howard a letter about this.
At least make the coffee shop a local concession, no Starbucks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 21, 2023 5:26 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
At least make the coffee shop a local concession, no Starbucks.
Starbucks is not local?

Anne Elk
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 21, 2023 6:14 pm 
altasnob wrote:
That's not the Mountaineers lodge. That's the USFS visitor center at Heather Meadows
True that it's the Forest Service but it's at Austin Pass, not Heather Meadows. But the Artist Point example is ridiculous anyway because of it's proximity to the ski area with at least a dozen lodges and is one of the most popular winter areas in the state - featured in Hollywood movies as far back as "Call of the Wild" in 1935 and up to the "Deer Hunter", which was actually filmed at Artist Point.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 22, 2023 9:14 am 
altasnob wrote:
The Walgreens on 6th and Sprague just permanently closed, meaning there is no drug store anywhere close to downtown Tacoma or Hilltop.
Walgreen's is the highest-priced pharmacy around, so that doesn't come as any big surprise. It's possible there are other people besides me who are boycotting them because of their most recent idiotic policy decision. No big loss, as far as I'm concerned. I actually kind of wish they'd never come into Washington State, to be honest. Was the closure due to the shoplifting rates that the local prosecutor's office still won't do anything about? The Safeway at 1112 South M Street is still open and they have a pharmacy. It's where I got my first Covid vaccine.
altasnob wrote:
An $800k home in Sequim is a starter home? Median sales price for Kitsap and Pierce is in the low $500k.
https://www.homes.com/sequim-wa/houses-for-sale/ Last time I contacted a real estate agent via phone, there were exactly 47 listings available in the Sequim area and the median price range was about $550K - that was over a year ago. It looks like there's a little 2-bedroom for $439K, which is at the low end. Zillow.com says median home price in Tacoma is $468,403.00 today. Down somewhat from a year ago and not quite as hot. The house next door took almost a month to sell and it went for only $540K (1700 sq ft, 3bd, 1 ba) The house two blocks down the street sold last summer for $1.35 million. The one next door to it went for $1.5 million. Don't believe everything you think.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon May 22, 2023 10:29 am 
Schroder wrote:
True that it's the Forest Service but it's at Austin Pass, not Heather Meadows
Shall we let the USFS know. They have the visitor center identified as "Heather Meadows Visitor Center" https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5160279

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon May 22, 2023 10:30 am 
Ski wrote:
The Safeway at 1112 South M Street is still open and they have a pharmacy
Sir, this is a hiking forum

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 22, 2023 2:50 pm 
Some of us hike to stores. I hiked to Harbor Fright the other day. But it was nowhere near Hurricane Ridge. But it did have a lot of cheap Chinese stuff for sale. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

trestle
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon May 22, 2023 5:31 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Perhaps a gondola should be built.
I was going to mention that a few pages back when I said restricting car access should be considered given how out of control things get up there in summer. But I figured I'd get even more pilloried for that idea... some trees would have to be cut down to make a gondola route work. When I first arrived in Banff in 1975, Sunshine Village was accessed only by buses. In the non-snow months, I think you had to have a special permit and key to get past the locked gate; I went there with a Banff Centre class that got an access permit. Another time, a friend knew someone on the Sunshine Village staff. I forget what year it happened, but they finally put in a gondola which also operates in hiking season. Not sure I want to ever see what such easy summer access has done to those fragile alpine meadows, but my impression over the years is that Parks Canada had put a lot of bucks into warden hires to enforce things like camping only in designated areas, and so forth. On the merits of rebuilding the lodge itself, it might be another good place to add an interpretive outpost that includes a small auditorium for presentations. I'm willing to compromise with the naysayers: I'm ok with eliminating the tchotchke vending. clown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon May 22, 2023 10:52 pm 
At first I thought the lodge would get rebuilt, what with all the politics, etc. But now that I've done some reading and studying, I'm not so sure. An EIA was written back in 2012 that lists some fish downstream that might be affected by construction activity in the Hurricane Ridge area. Chinook Coho Chum Pink Sockeye Bull trout Steelhead Some here might remember that the decision to move the Enchanted Valley Chalet away from the Quinault river, was partly made because of the fear that the chalet falling in the river could harm Bull Trout. The idea that a large construction project that could damage Bull Trout habitat would be allowed is doubtful in my opinion.

Logbear

Logbear
PostMon May 22, 2023 11:35 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I'm thinking of something along the line of a large fleet of buses - maybe even electric ones - that make scheduled departures from numerous points around Pt. Angeles.
I wouldn't call it a fleet, but there are a few busses. Delayed from resuming service now. https://www.clallamtransit.com/HurricaneRidge https://www.hikeolympic.com/hurricane-ridge-winter-shuttle

Logbear

Logbear
PostMon May 22, 2023 11:57 pm 
This is a "sources sought notice" https://sam.gov/opp/f399d77aadce49de9905c78a189f6573/view Project Description: Work shall consist of furnishing all labor, materials, tools, supplies, equipment, transportation, and supervision necessary for: removal of all structures, above ground improvements, in-water improvements, and miscellaneous debris, and scarify the landscape, at four areas in Olympic National Park for the purpose of restoring the landscape to natural conditions.****** Magnitude of Construction estimate: Between $500,000 and $1,000,000.****** I don't know where the 4 areas are.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 23, 2023 7:52 am 
Logbear wrote:
I don't know where the 4 areas are.
Dosewallips campground would be one place. That's going to be a big project. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 23, 2023 8:23 am 
I bet the Enchanted Valley Chalet..... (don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. Or the bookkeeper's son... )

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 23, 2023 12:01 pm 
Rumi Dude wrote:
Dosewallips campground would be one place. That's going to be a big project.
Removal of the infrastructure at the Dosewallips Campground will require vehicle access to the site, which means they will have to reconstruct the road to allow access. Cost of such a project will well exceed that $1,000,000.00 figure. (Just for Dosewallips.) The Queets Ranger Station is scheduled for demolition and removal. I would imagine that would be one of the project sites. It's possible there are other front-country ranger stations that might be slated for demolition and removal since they're not used much any more. The recently upgraded North Fork Quinault ranger station would be a likely candidate. (Was upgraded and repainted when I did the road inventory in ... 2001?) (My best wild guess.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 23, 2023 1:23 pm 
Ski wrote:
Rumi Dude wrote:
Dosewallips campground would be one place. That's going to be a big project.
Removal of the infrastructure at the Dosewallips Campground will require vehicle access to the site, which means they will have to reconstruct the road to allow access. Cost of such a project will well exceed that $1,000,000.00 figure. (Just for Dosewallips.) The Queets Ranger Station is scheduled for demolition and removal. I would imagine that would be one of the project sites. It's possible there are other front-country ranger stations that might be slated for demolition and removal since they're not used much any more. The recently upgraded North Fork Quinault ranger station would be a likely candidate. (Was upgraded and repainted when I did the road inventory in ... 2001?) (My best wild guess.)
If they don't rebuilt access to the Elwha, all that crap up those old roads. And that is nothing compared to the ranger station and facilities at the site. Letting that road go was absolutely criminal. Altair and Elwha campgrounds are up there as well. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

trestle