Forum Index > Trail Talk > Scuttle Butt - Hurricane Ridge Lodge Fire ~~ Confirmed Lodge Burned To The Ground
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue May 23, 2023 3:07 pm 
Ski wrote:
Removal of the infrastructure at the Dosewallips Campground will require vehicle access to the site, which means they will have to reconstruct the road to allow access. Cost of such a project will well exceed that $1,000,000.00 figure. (Just for Dosewallips.)
To restore this site could mean burning the ranger station, picnic tables and any other outbuildings. The non combustible material could be bagged winched up and hauled out by helicopter. That is assuming a copter can maneuver safely in that area. I saw it done once when I was at Yosemite. Anything they do to rehab these sites is going to be expensive One would have to wonder - is it worth it? Eventually the Dosewallips Campground will rot and disappear, and in the meantime, is it really doing any harm as it is?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 23, 2023 3:19 pm 
^^^^ I was thinking along the lines that DickB is, Ski: either winching out loads of the deconstructed wood stuff via helicopter, or just letting it rot. Not much up there, really. What's the harm in leaving it? If they were going to restore the road to get things out, they might as well restore the whole thing, which I'd prefer.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

trestle
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostTue May 23, 2023 3:24 pm 
Dick B wrote:
Ski wrote:
Removal of the infrastructure at the Dosewallips Campground will require vehicle access to the site, which means they will have to reconstruct the road to allow access. Cost of such a project will well exceed that $1,000,000.00 figure. (Just for Dosewallips.)
To restore this site could mean burning the ranger station, picnic tables and any other outbuildings. The non combustible material could be bagged winched up and hauled out by helicopter. That is assuming a copter can maneuver safely in that area. I saw it done once when I was at Yosemite. Anything they do to rehab these sites is going to be expensive One would have to wonder - is it worth it? Eventually the Dosewallips Campground will rot and disappear, and in the meantime, is it really doing any harm as it is?
Leave Dosewalips, and Elwha, and others to rot and be consumed by the forest, as a warning against hubris and a reminder of man's puniness before the forces of nature. "This, too, shall pass". Besides, overgrown rainforest ruins are beautiful -- more than the active structures, imo.

Logbear

Logbear
PostTue May 23, 2023 7:36 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
altasnob wrote:
There's no lodge up at Artist Point and I put that area right up there with Hurricane Ridge, Sunrise, and Paradise, as most visited parking lots in the state. You don't need junk food and plastic trinkets for sale in order to attract people to these areas. The view on a sunny day is enough. ...You don't need a lodge to maintain access
Anne Elk wrote:
There's one at Heather Meadows, open right now and it too has a cafe and who knows what else.
I drove up to Heather Meadows today. I took a cup of coffee from home and planned on getting a hamburger at the cafe in the lodge at Heather Meadows. Nope, no cafe. The day lodge was closed. The only thing open was the USFS restrooms at Heather Meadows. We never even saw the Heather Meadows visitor center. It's above the gate I guess. The highlight of the day was the public restrooms in the town of Glacier. Easy to see signs pointing the way on the highway as you approach town. They were clean, had soap and running water, and were well supplied with toilet paper. Nooksack Falls was nice to see, but it was a cloudy day, so no views of mountains. My way of supporting the local economy was a stop at Mc Donalds in Bellingham. Come to think of it I should have bought something at the store in Glacier just because the public restrooms in town were so nice. Maybe next time. If they would just clear the debris from Hurricane ridge and have some clean restrooms, that would be my choice for a drive on a cloudy day.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
vibramhead

vibramhead
PostTue May 23, 2023 8:25 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Dosewallips campground would be one place.
It would be a shame if they take that out. It's serving a useful purpose now, sort of a gray area between frontcountry and backcountry. I've biked in there on the closed Dose Rd and camped, and quite enjoyed the ability to do so. It just needs a functional privy.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 24, 2023 8:54 am 
vibramhead wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Dosewallips campground would be one place.
It would be a shame if they take that out. It's serving a useful purpose now, sort of a gray area between frontcountry and backcountry. I've biked in there on the closed Dose Rd and camped, and quite enjoyed the ability to do so. It just needs a functional privy.
They have already made the decision to do so. They will also decommission the road, which means it will become trail and thus no bikes allowed. But don't worry, it will be years, likely a decade or two before they ever get around to doing that. By then the road will likely wash completely out and there will be no access to the Dosewallips. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

trestle
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed May 24, 2023 9:10 am 
Logbear wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
altasnob wrote:
There's no lodge up at Artist Point and I put that area right up there with Hurricane Ridge, Sunrise, and Paradise, as most visited parking lots in the state. You don't need junk food and plastic trinkets for sale in order to attract people to these areas. The view on a sunny day is enough. ...You don't need a lodge to maintain access
Anne Elk wrote:
There's one at Heather Meadows, open right now and it too has a cafe and who knows what else.
I drove up to Heather Meadows today. I took a cup of coffee from home and planned on getting a hamburger at the cafe in the lodge at Heather Meadows. Nope, no cafe. The day lodge was closed. The only thing open was the USFS restrooms at Heather Meadows. We never even saw the Heather Meadows visitor center. It's above the gate I guess.=
I based that comment on what I saw on their website, which I looked at the day I made that post. So much for keeping websites even "somewhat" current. That's outrageous. Sorry about that. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed May 24, 2023 10:48 am 
I looked at their website too, and when I read that everything was closed, I wasn't going to go there. Then when I read from a real person that it was open, I figured I'd rely on a real person report instead of the website. My mistake. Believe the website. Everything is closed. https://www.mtbaker.us/the-mountain/day-lodges-food/

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Anne Elk
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed May 24, 2023 10:54 am 
As far as Hurricane Ridge is concerned... From a news article. "The park will erect a toilet facility — not portable toilets — and a small trailer for staff to work in and take breaks" That shouldn't take too long.

vibramhead

vibramhead
PostThu May 25, 2023 8:25 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
They have already made the decision to do so.
If ONP has made that decision, it doesn't show up in their list of projects. And ONF still shows the Dosewallips washout repair project status as being "on hold". Of course, it's had that status for some 15 years, and just last year ONF removed all the fire rings and picnic tables at Elkhorn Campground, so it seems pretty clear that they have no expectation of ever repairing the road. That's fine with me. I imagine the easiest path for both agencies is to avoid making any definitive decision, and just to keep it way down on the priority list.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 30, 2023 1:15 pm 
Hurricane Ridge to remain closed indefinitely. is just a news blurb and I don't have the actual ONP announcement. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 30, 2023 2:16 pm 
Its very difficult for me to read these pages. Has it been determined what happend?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 30, 2023 6:04 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Its very difficult for me to read these pages. Has it been determined what happend?
No. I don't know even know if the on site investigation has finished. Rumi

Cyclopath
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed May 31, 2023 3:58 pm 
The park's last news release (May 11) said they anticipate being able to release a timeline for the road opening after June 2, so hopefully we'll hear something before too long.

fourteen410
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 31, 2023 4:30 pm 
Thank you Rums.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln