Forum Index > Trail Talk > Owner & dog shot and killed in Lewis Co.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HappyHiker

HappyHiker
PostMon May 15, 2023 11:38 am 
I've always called that lake Short Lake. Trailhead sign picture taken in 1976. 3rd pic taken from Crest Trail looking down on the lake. Last pic from same spot on Crest Trail looking at Walupt Lake.

If You're Lucky Enough To Be In The Mountains, You're Lucky Enough

fourteen410, tinman, Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue May 23, 2023 2:56 pm 
It appears that Aron Christenson's family plans to sue the Lewis County sheriff. Unfortunately, the OregonLive article is subscription only, and I refuse to pay for it. For those who have a subscription or can otherwise access, here's the URL: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2023/05/family-of-portland-hiker-shot-to-death-on-washington-trail-plans-to-sue-sheriffs-office-alleging-sabotage.html Sorry, I couldn't get the "URL" button to work. But it still posted as a link.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

fourteen410
catsp

catsp
PostTue May 23, 2023 3:57 pm 
grannyhiker, fourteen410
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue May 23, 2023 4:10 pm 
Thanks, catsp!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue May 23, 2023 5:24 pm 
https://www.chronline.com/stories/lewis-county-officials-decline-to-comment-on-pending-20-million-claim-by-family-of-aron,319781

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

grannyhiker
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed May 24, 2023 8:22 am 
Are these kinds of lawsuits ever successful?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 24, 2023 10:31 am 
Even if a lawsuit doesn't prevail in court, the costs and time and trouble of defending against a suit can motivate changes in the organization. I would hope for at least improvements in police behavior to perform better due diligence when dealing with fatality situation.

day_hike_mike, idoru, kiliki, JimmyBob
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 24, 2023 10:55 am 
Randito wrote:
I would hope for at least improvements in police behavior to perform better due diligence when dealing with fatality situation.
Uvalde Texas was a year ago. Has anything changed?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 24, 2023 3:42 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Randito wrote:
I would hope for at least improvements in police behavior to perform better due diligence when dealing with fatality situation.
Uvalde Texas was a year ago. Has anything changed?
I don't see much equivalence between the two tragedies. Uvalde showed that [gun commentary removed by moderator] This case is about performing a competent investigation of a crime scene and performing autopsies competently to discover the facts. The way the Lewis County Sheriff’s department handled this case it would appear that their are some combination of grossly incompetent / interested in protecting "good ole local boys" at the expense of unwelcome "Portland Hippies" In Uvalde, the local sheriff waited outside the school building for over an hour before moving in to defend local kids and the 27 billion dollar lawsuit against the Uvalde police department is still in process.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu May 25, 2023 8:02 am 
The story about the suit is actually in the Seattle Times. Nice to see it get local coverage.

Cyclopath
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 25, 2023 9:09 am 
I had cases with the elected Lewis County Prosecutor Jonathan Meyer way back in the day. It is rare for a prosecutor to throw the sheriff's office under the bus in the way Meyer has in his comments to the media. Not that those comments are not deserved. The vast majority of cases Meyer prosecutes are Lewis County Sheriff cases, so it is necessary to keep a good professional relationship between the two offices (a small number of cases come from Chehalis and Centralia police, but everything else comes from the Sheriff's Office). But since both the prosecutor and sheriff are elected positions in Washington, Meyer wants to distance himself from the mistakes made in this case (to cover his own ass). My overall impression with people working in the criminal justice system in Lewis County is incompetence, with lots of petty, small town drama. This includes the prosecutors, sheriffs, judges, and public defenders. It's hard to attract the best and the brightest to places like Chehalis. From my reading of a few articles, I would say it is likely the victim's family settles their civil case for multi-millions. I don't see the case going to trial because the victim's family will shred the sheriff's department at trial, and a trial will expose the level of incompetence and corruption. This, in turn, would force all the people working on the case to be fired (becuase they would all be required to be added to the "Brady List," which is a list of all the law enforcement employees who have done possible unethical things that must be shared with defense attorneys on all cases the unethical law enforcement touches). Best for the county to settle fast for a couple million and shove this case under the rug. I could also see the settlement costing the elected sheriff his job in the next election. Lewis County folks like to protect their own but they also won't be happy with having to pay out a large settlement due to the government's incompetence. Also, the good ol boys judges in Lewis County won't be able to protect the good ol boy sheriffs because the victim's family has the option of filing their law suit against Lewis County in either Cowlitz or Thurston County. My money says this lawsuit will be filed in Thurston County, with much more liberal judges, who are amongst the most competent in the state (Thurston is where lawsuits against the state must be filed so it is the legal epicenter of the state, along with King County).

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 25, 2023 9:31 am 
catsp wrote:
"Leoni expects his office will file a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court sometime this summer."
So their claims involve both state and federal law. The US District Court in this case would be in Tacoma. Lewis County is f'd.That's why you see Meyer running away from this case as fast as he can.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 25, 2023 9:55 am 
Like almost all cases against the police, they will likely file a 1983 claim, which can be filed in state or federal court but often is removed to federal court.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:35 am 
In Portland news this am--family is trying to get the state of Washington to take over: https://www.koin.com/news/none-of-this-adds-up-family-of-slain-portland-hiker-fighting-for-further-investigation/

Cyclopath
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:43 am 
The Attorney General is handling the investigation/prosecution of the alleged murder of Manual Ellis by Tacoma Police and the Pierce County Sheriff. I think Aron Christensen's family has shown enough issues with the case (such as the Lewis County Prosecutor acknowledging the Sheriff screwed things up) that the case should be transferred to the Attorney General.