Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Quote of the day..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:10 am 
Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you, they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 10:42 pm 
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe,' a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." Albert Einstein

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

RayD, NWtrax, Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 15, 2023 9:48 am 
“All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.” "Lady Astor to Churchill: “If I were married to you, I’d put poison in your coffee.” Reply: “If I were married to you, I’d drink it.” "Never was so much owed by so many to so few" [a] was a wartime speech delivered to the House of Commons of the United Kingdom by British prime minister Winston Churchill on 20 August 1940.[1] The name stems from the specific line in the speech, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few", referring to the ongoing efforts of the Royal Air Force and other Allied aircrew who were fighting in the Battle of Britain, the pivotal air battle with the German Luftwaffe.[2] I am reading the book by Erik Larson, "The Splendid and the Vile"....about Churchill and events surrounding England's involvement in WW2, really good book. I love history, pretty much the only subject I enjoyed in HS. I think if I could have a drink with one person no longer with us, Churchill would be high on my list.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 14, 2023 4:13 pm 
"Of course we are all hypocrites. The only true act of an environmentalist would be to shoot himself in the head. Otherwise he's still contaminating the place by his mere presence" {paraphrase} ~Ed Abbey~

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 14, 2023 5:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
"Of course we are all hypocrites. The only true act of an environmentalist would be to shoot himself in the head. Otherwise he's still contaminating the place by his mere presence" {paraphrase} ~Ed Abbey~
Boy, he can say that again (re the hypocrisy). Married 5x and had 5 kids with three of his wives. huh.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 14, 2023 10:29 pm 
Don't know much about him, but it seems that he was quite an eccentric and interesting individual.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri May 26, 2023 7:10 am 
tom hanks on accepting wilson soccer ball: "For the truth to some is no longer empirical. It’s no longer based on data, nor common sense, nor even common decency. Telling the truth is no longer the benchmark for public service. It’s no longer the salve to our fears, or the guide to our actions. Truth is now considered malleable, by opinion and by zero-sum endgames. "It’s the same option for all grown-ups who have to decide to be one of three types of Americans: Those who embrace liberty and freedom for all; those who won’t; or those who are indifferent. "Only the first do the work of creating a more perfect union, a nation indivisible. The others get in the way."

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat May 27, 2023 9:59 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
three types of Americans
There are only two types of Americans, those who think there are two types of Americans, and those who don't.* * paraphrased from the late Molly Ivins.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat May 27, 2023 1:14 pm 
I would not put much stock in someone who signs their correspondence: Sincerely, Molly Ivins, plagiarist.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jun 26, 2023 12:02 am 
Just got done watching (again) the PBS American Experience documentary, The Big Burn about the huge 1910 forest fire in the northern Rockies. From the script: The fire was a cauldron of gases and explosive heat, a convective engine, pulling air into its vortex and shooting it skyward; a relentless wall of incendiary mayhem. That's some grand, picturesque writing.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 15, 2023 11:15 pm 
I made it about half way through and my head started to hurt, before I added paragraphs, interesting though. Author unknown. The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long-distance roads in England. You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long-distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since. And what about the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever. So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse as come up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' ases.)  Now, the twist to the story: When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses behind. So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's as. And you thought being a horse wasn't important? Ancient horses as*es control almost everything. 😁😁

RayD
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 19, 2023 2:58 pm 
"It is a good practice to attempt to train one's mind so that it is strong enough to act upon logic and not on emotions.". "Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.". ~unknown~

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 19, 2023 10:37 pm 
"The greatest enemy or knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge". ~Stephen Hawking~

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Aug 20, 2023 5:38 pm 
What a difference two years makes: I walked across the parking lot with my mask on, and then took it off when I entered the grocery store. breakdance.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

RichP
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 06, 2023 6:21 pm 
The goal of life is not to arrive at the end in a well-preserved body, but to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting holy cow, what a ride! - "Hayduke", NYTimes commenter