Forum Index > Gear Talk > NFT: New Lightweight Tarp From SlingFin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 24, 2023 10:54 pm 
It is a thin 10D fabric silicon coated 9.5' X 10" flat tarp. At just over 12 ounces for just the tarp and coming in at $220, it's an attractive alternative to DCF for the budget minded. SlingFin NFT
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostThu May 25, 2023 8:22 am 
$220 for a square of nylon, wow.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 25, 2023 10:41 am 
$130 more will get you a 7 ounce tarp from Zpacks. And when it rains you won’t have micro droplets of water hitting you like they will with sylnylon. https://zpacks.com/products/flat-tarp-8-5-x-10-w-12-loops

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu May 25, 2023 3:38 pm 
Well, everything is relative to budget, purpose, environment, and personal comfort zone. I don't own one but I am intrigued by it for my use. I don't use a tarp for primary shelter but as a secondary shelter (cooking and hanging out) for when I am backpacking with my wife or on trailwork parties. I currently have a 5X8 silnylon tarp by Integral Design, but it is smallish for two and this size would work much better, especially when we are camping in the British Isles. YMMV Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 27, 2023 2:07 pm 
Bargainhunter wrote:
$220 for a square of nylon, wow.
Wait until this guy discovers clothing!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat May 27, 2023 5:40 pm 
After watching that promo video, I can appreciate the cost for all the detailed sewing and thought that went into making that tarp strong as well as enabling all kinds of stakeout scenarios, so useful for ultralight hikers. I'm somewhat amazed by how little shelter many hikers use these days, regardless of season. Somewhere in the TRs I remember seeing pics of someone sleeping on the Vesper side of Headlee Pass in the snow using only a folded tarp as a groundcloth and lean-to. Really??!! Except for the sekrit camp I often go to for watching the Perseid showers where there are few bugs and no rain, I've never camped with anything but a full-enclosure tent to keep out skeeters, snaffelhounds, night-time goat visitations, and rain. Wouldn't one at least also want to carry a ground cloth plus either a full-enclosure bug screen or bivy-bag? So you'd be adding more weight right there. I guess I had a lower tolerance for discomfort at camp, than carrying weight. rolleyes.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 27, 2023 6:20 pm 
Slugman wrote:
And when it rains you won’t have micro droplets of water hitting you like they will with sylnylon.
That's not consistent with my experience with an Integral Designs SilShelter or with my experience with Six Moons Designs Gatewood Cape, both made from SilNylon. Do you have experience with SilNylon shelters spraying you or are you repeated something you heard?

chèvre
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 28, 2023 7:00 am 
Witnessed personally and heard from those who experienced it. Nice try though.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 29, 2023 12:10 am 
I have heard and read that Henry Shires of Tarptent say that silnylon is stronger than silpoly. I tend to believe he knows what he is talking about in that regard. I have DCF tents and am aware of how light and expensive it is. I am also aware of its less than desired traits. In light of that I think this tarp likely fills a niche for myself and many other backpackers. Rumi

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 29, 2023 6:38 am 
RumiDude wrote:
silnylon is stronger than silpoly
Quote:
Both nylon and polyester rate well for strength and durability. But when we make a direct comparison, nylon is stronger and stretchier than polyester, meaning garments made from nylon should last longer.
https://www.eysan.com.tw/difference-between-polyester-and-nylon-fabric/#:~:text=Both%20nylon%20and%20polyester%20rate,pills%20more%20easily%20than%20polyester. For tarp usage I don't think it matters that much. Tent fabric strength is important when camping above timberline and directly exposed to strong winds. When I'm tarp camping , I generally seek more sheltered campsites unless the weather forecast is favorable. I have camped in heavy rain and wind in my Integral Designs SilShelter , in sites protected by timber. Using the Gatewood cape, I've only had to camp in mist and drizzle. Have stayed dry.

RumiDude