Forum Index > Trail Talk > Crossing Burntboot Creek to the Middle Fork Trail.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 27, 2023 2:41 pm 
Has anyone crossed Burntboot Creek near Goldmyer Hot Springs recently? It's been almost six years since I made that crossing in late 2017. By then a log jam had gathered on one side of the two big logs. At the time it was very difficult for me with a shoulder injury to squeeze through the limbs, keep my footing, and make it to the shore. Wondering if it ever got cleared or perhaps worsened with more debris pile up. Also since we're in the big melt cycle, Burntboot Creek could be running faster and higher than usual. Beta and educated guesses are appreciated. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostSat May 27, 2023 7:24 pm 
Someone (not me) crossed it today and reported it as swift and knee deep, so I'm guessing they didn't find a convenient or safe log. Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, Dutch Miller Gap — Saturday, May. 27, 2023

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 27, 2023 9:41 pm 
Thanks for that bit of intel ALW. I can see that my request wasn't clear. I asked about crossing, but should have specified the two old growth logs that are in place between the Middle Fork trail and the Goldmyer property trail. Those logs have steps cut into them and the tops had been made suitable for walking across. However the last time I used that "crossing" there were new logs and debris blocking the second log on the Goldmyer side. I was wondering if that had been cleared or cut back. My last crossing on that log "bridge" was in October, 2017. Burnt Boot Creek in Spring can be pretty ferocious. So I will pass on fording it at least this early in the season. wink.gif ~z

mosey

mosey
PostSat May 27, 2023 10:11 pm 
That "bridge" washed out in 2018/2019. Fording is the only option now. If you are looping from red pass to snow lake you should also be warned the old growth crossing a significant gully right after burntboot creek has collapsed.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 27, 2023 10:22 pm 
mosey wrote:
That "bridge" washed out in 2018/2019. Fording is the only option now.
Thank you! I needed to know this. Thanks for the other bit too. Though I was staying in the Mid Fork valley. 'Appreciate it. ~z

jsb

jsb
PostSun May 28, 2023 8:58 pm 
Not all that recent, but I crossed Burntboot twice back at the end of April. I've got of a photo of the return crossing on my TH: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8037093 The Snoqualmie River gauge at Tanner was reading just under 6ft that day. Looks like today the river was sitting around 4ft, so I imagine the crossing is much more manageable - but for sure expect to your feet wet.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 29, 2023 4:48 pm 
Burntboot Creek can be forded on many days this time of year but the flow depends on how warm the day is. The two-log combo bridge was damaged by 2015 floods and then was finished off in October 2017 when another tree crashed down on of the of the two logs and broke it in half. There is a huge old growth log that mostly spans the creek 150 yards downstream from the Middle Fork trail that I've used several times to cross the creek in recent years. It is jamming up many other logs around it and others smaller trees have fallen around the eastern approach. I've always found a way across, however it changes with every high water event. There are no problems reaching the big log crossing from the Middle Fork trail on either side of the creek, but it's cross-country, there's no trail.
Middle Fork trail crossing area on April 23, 2023 - fordable
Middle Fork trail crossing area on April 23, 2023 - fordable
Middle Fork trail crossing area on May 21, 2023 - not easily fordable
Middle Fork trail crossing area on May 21, 2023 - not easily fordable
Big log crossing 150 yards downstream on April 23, 2023
Big log crossing 150 yards downstream on April 23, 2023
Map showing location of big log crossing
Map showing location of big log crossing

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Now I Fly, Windstorm, jsb, Bramble_Scramble, mosey