Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 30, 2023 3:48 pm 

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

RumiDude
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 12:05 am 
There is a 18%-20%sale on Gazelle Medeo bikes at Clever Cycles in Portland. I bought my ebike there and they are a pretty good store. And if you live in Washington, remember there is no sales tax in Oregon. Anyway, I am really pleased with my Royal Dutch Gazelle ebike. They are one of the best makers for the upright "Dutch style" bikes. They use Bosch motors and electronics, which are UL certified, in case you are worried about battery fires. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
neek

neek
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 8:14 am 
You will have to buy in-state to get the upcoming rebate https://familycyclery.com/blog/washington-state-e-bike-rebates

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 8:58 am 
neek wrote:
You will have to buy in-state to get the upcoming rebate https://familycyclery.com/blog/washington-state-e-bike-rebates
from that blog: QUESTIONS WE STILL HAVE: What constitutes a mountain bike in this situation? Are there minimum or maximum prices for the bike? How will the application process work for customers and shops? What happens after the allotted $5 million has been distributed? At what point in the process is the customer’s income verified? When will this go into effect? Can the rebate be retroactively claimed for a bike already purchased, or if purchased without pre-applying? So it seems like a lot of questions about the legislation and that is for next year's budget. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 9:21 am 
It's crazy that there are two broad categories of bikes, and we only give tax rebates on the ones that cause more carbon emissions.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 10:15 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
It's crazy that there are two broad categories of bikes, and we only give tax rebates on the ones that cause more carbon emissions.
ORLY? When the weather and time cooperates my ebike pretty much replaces my SUV for anything less than 50 miles. Not gonna happen hauling 50 pounds of groceries up a steep hill with an acoustic bike. I've seen more SUVs hauling acoustic bikes than I've seen acoustic bikes hauling groceries. YMMV!

Opus, RumiDude
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 10:35 am 
catsp wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
And if you live in Washington, remember there is no sales tax in Oregon.
True, but the equivalent "Use Tax" is owed.
My guess, having not looked into any data on the matter, is that very little Use Tax is ever paid. I am certainly not openly encouraging people to violate any applicable laws but ... Rumi

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 10:50 am 
Tom wrote:
When the weather and time cooperates my ebike pretty much replaces my SUV for anything less than 50 miles.
Made a trip on my new ebike from Port Angeles to Sequim and back the yesterday to shop at Costco and Sunny Farms. The round trip from my front door and back was 40 miles. The final climb to my house is fairly steep and I battled strong cross winds and head winds almost the entire way. I would never have attempted that on an acoustic bike even when I was in my 20s and 30s. It was not an issue with my ebike. Since I don't drive now, my ebike affords me the ability to get around. Public transportation on the North Olympic Peninsula is not very good. Rumi

tinman, Slugman, kite
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 12:12 pm 
Tom wrote:
ORLY?
Do you disagree? Can you show me numbers detailing why if so?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 12:45 pm 
OK, would you drive more or less if you had an ebike? I doubt you would drive more. So how does owning an ebike increase emissions? From usage? You might possibly drive less if like me you use an ebike for more things than you would an acoustic bike such as grocery runs. I'd venture to guess that's more of a net negative as far as emissions than an increase.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 3:02 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
That's the tip of the iceberg on the crazy set of tax policies the US has , Fossil fuel companies enjoy massive tax breaks and subsidies on their operations. Tax breaks for Battery Electric Vehicles (with various numbers of wheels) is more about industrial policy than it is about the environment. If reducing CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions was truly the goal , taxing greenhouse gas emissions more directly would encourage shifts in personal and corporate choices. But industrial lobbying will heavily discourage any such approach. Concrete companies certainly don't want to taxed on the CO2 emissions that come from using Concrete in construction, nor do oil companies want to pay a tax based on CO2 and Methane emissions from their drilling and refining Operations, Beef and dairy operations don't want to taxed on the methane emissions from burping and farting cattle. Yeah if emissions were taxed, many more people would walk, ride bikes (or any sort) , take public transit and eat less meat and dairy. But this is America, where driving a F-350 through the drive through to get a triple cheeseburger is a scared act.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 5:23 pm 
Randito wrote:
But this is America, where driving a F-350 through the drive through to get a triple cheeseburger is a scared act.
It's also a sacred act. Rumi~the spellcheck~Dude

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 8:00 pm 
My horrible gas guzzling e-bike on yet another grocery run...

kite, RumiDude
kite

kite
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 7:06 am 
Tom wrote:
My horrible gas guzzling e-bike on yet another grocery run...
Asking about your bike trailer? what the brand and or model? thanks

neek

neek
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 7:18 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
There's an interesting analysis of lifetime emissions for various bike styles at https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2023/02/can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again.html Agree we should provide incentives and infrastructure for bikes, regardless of the type.