Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Doghair forest, Are there too many trees?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 31, 2023 7:45 am 
crock wrote:
In another topic https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8037009, a poster linked a video clip with the implication that there could never be too many trees in a forest. It's opinion if there can be too many trees in a forest, but that looks like too many trees to me! A natural forest doesn't have that many trees. There are so many trees in this doghair forest that there is no undergrowth; no ferns, no salal, no flowers. I'm guessing that the animal and bird density is like the undergrowth and non-existent. It would be great to hear from someone who has some knowledge of silviculture.
That looks similar to an area that was burned in the Cispus burn. It wasn't planted but did grow back. A commercial thin was done, even though some folks objected to thinning an 80 year old stand. Roads were in place for most of the job, and a helicopter was used to log areas where old roads were badly washed out. It turned out well. The intent of the sale, which was on National Forest, was to enhance old growth forest conditions. Translation: Speed up growth so stand gets old growth characteristics quicker than if left alone. Here is a picture of a helicopter yarded unit AFTER. Most timber folks would say that it was too light of a cut to do much good, but compromise has to be made. At this time, it is not managed for timber, but for old growth. The cut trees were chosen by a rather complicated method. The timber marker measures a plot radius, chooses the largest tree at STUMP height to stay, and the other trees are designated to be cut. Using a STUMP measurement assures that imperfect trees--double tops, broken tops, etc. will be part of the future stand. It's kind of a blasphemy to old foresters.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 31, 2023 7:51 am 
An example of Designation By Diameter (at stump level) marking. The unmarked tree in the background stays. The X trees are cut. This was in a different area on a different sale than the helicopter unit. This is south of Packwood and was conventionally logged--roads already existing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 31, 2023 8:16 am 
timberghost wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Burned in 1969,was doghaired, then thinned a few times over the years. The trees are big, there are lots of sunny open spots, plenty of ground cover, and it looks great. If you didn't know it burned in 1969,
It burned in 1967
THanks; that year was so dry, they closed the forest; Green Mtn (Suiattle) burned too. (or was that one in 1969..?). Anyway, Meadowcreek trail looks fantastic after the thinning.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed May 31, 2023 9:14 am 
Yea my father was a faller on that fire. We used to do alot of thinning when I Worked for the DNR. Then they started contracting to Russians and Mexicans. Then went away from ding much of it.

Dick B

Dick B
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 10:33 am 
Here is some more trivia about dog hair timber stands and thinning. I learned in silviculture class that forest soils were classified into 5 different sites. Site 1 was the best and site 5 the worst. Forest growth differed depending on the site they were growing on. Once we did a study in an area where sites varied from 1 in a creek bottom to 5 at the top of a rocky ridge. The study was done in an un-thinned even aged Doug fir stand. It was amazing how the stand differed from the creek to the ridge. The creek stand was nearing old growth conditions and the trees were well spaced. The ridge top stuff was still tightly packed. Ridge height and diameters were probably a third, or less, of the creek trees. It proved to me that that trees on better sites will quickly establish dominance and the lesser trees will be over shadowed and die out. At least that is how I remember how trees grew back in my day. I don't know if it is still that way or not. :>) As mentioned, thinning will accelerate the process to an open, old growth type stand. When we were doing commercial thinnings, we used special tree marking paint. The trees to cut were marked at chest height, and also at the base. Every stump left after logging better have some orange paint on it. I was told the paint had some kind of tracer in it. This was a check so the logger didn't go to a hardware store and buy a can of spray paint and mark his own stumps. I don't think there was any nefarious activity on sales I worked on.

trestle
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 10:35 am 
altasnob wrote:
But if you put a road in to "help it along" humans are incapable of limiting the use of the road to helping the ecosystem.
Maybe.
treeswarper wrote:
As for the remarks about road building? In managed forests, the roads already exist.
Fact. Those "doghair" stands do not exist in roadless areas. Natural reseeding won't be that crowded. (Naturally re-seeded areas can be found all over Western Washington on previously clearcut and/or burned units.) Certainly there is some credibility in the argument that "allowing nature to take its course" will eventually result in something along the lines of "late seral" stage forest, but that may well require more time than the life of the forest itself when taking into consideration the realities of fire regime histories. Or, in plainer language: it will burn before it ever gets to that "late seral" stage. As time goes on, compounding the problem are the current changes happening in local climate patterns which are giving us longer, dryer, and warmer summers. The odds are definitely not in favor of that stand ever getting to "late seral" stage without human intervention. This is what uncompromised, lowland temperate rain forest looks like on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula:
The big Hemlock at center is about 48-inches DBH - uncompromised west-slope Olympic temperate rain forest Queets River Valley Olympic National Park Sept 05 2018
The big Hemlock at center is about 48-inches DBH - uncompromised west-slope Olympic temperate rain forest Queets River Valley Olympic National Park Sept 05 2018
Note that the larger specimens are in some cases 30 to 40 feet apart from each other. In treeswarper's photo above (posted 05/31/23 @ 7:45 AM) she remarks about the spacing. They didn't take out nearly enough on that cut - they should have taken out three times as many trees from that unit. (I surveyed several of those units up on the Cispus with the project lead (Brenda) back in 1994 and 1995 - there were a great number of overgrown units like that left over from the big Cispus Burns. They had an opportunity to go in and really do some radical commercial thinning - that was right at the first stages of the AMA program - but they ended up making all kinds of compromises which resulted in cuts that will never achieve the intended management objective of accelerating old-growth characteristics simply because they didn't knock enough trees down. So much for the best-laid plans from our best and brightest silviculturalists of the day.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

trestle
trestle

trestle
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 1:00 pm 
It's almost like forestry management is scientific and more than a binary choice between logging or letting everything grow. Who'd have thought wink.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode

treeswarper, runup, Ski
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 1:42 pm 
Ski wrote:
Those "doghair" stands do not exist in roadless areas.
Sure they do! The Pratt area that I went into great detail on upthread is now in Wilderness. There's a strip of ick within Wild Sky as well. But there was once a railroad up the Pratt, and a road in Wild Sky.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:02 pm 
^ well.... there ya go, Kim... there WERE roads there (or rail access) which is how it got cut in the first place. But even really really old clearcut units (or burned over units) don't naturally re-seed to that degree of density - that's a replanted stand. ==== One of the thickest, over-crowded, naturally-re-seeded stands I know of are the ones on either side of the Park Service Road which begins at the end of the 2180-010 road (at the top) and terminates (at the bottom) where it joins the Lower Queets Road. Those units were clearcut at some point in the 1920s (per communications with J. Latterell (UW Fisheries) back in 2009 - notes are in the "Queets Road" thread.) They're naturally re-seeded - predominantly Western Hemlock with a bit of Sitka Spruce. The trees are over a hundred years old and not many exceed 15 inch DBH - proximity to each other can be measured in inches. Really kind of a "no mans land" - there is virtually NO understory growth other than a smattering of sword fern - ergo: no food for any herbivores. Per Ruth Kirk's "The Olympic Rainforest", if we are willing to wait about 1500 years, it will at some point reach that "late seral" stage. (Provided, of course, it does not succumb to fire, disease, or wind in the meantime.) If you really believe there is time available, notwithstanding the high likelihood of it going up in flames (or, more likely being knocked down by the wind), then by all means sit back and "let nature take its course." Any good poker player will tell you those are not the odds you want to be playing.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:36 pm 
Ski wrote:
But even really really old clearcut units (or burned over units) don't naturally re-seed to that degree of density - that's a replanted stand.
Yes, and that leads us all back to the beginning of this thread. Man-made dog hair ick.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 03, 2023 7:48 am 
^ Exactly. There are stands like that all over the west. Overstocked. Relatively no understory growth. Stunted development because they're so close together. Options are: No management. Result = continuation of same conditions until interrupted by fire, disease, or wind. Further management. Result = depends upon management prescription. Most of those stands could well use pre-commercial or commercial thinning. Many (like treeswarper's photos above, which look like the stuff that was up on the 55 road above Randle) should be more radically managed - taking out more wood - to accelerate development of late-seral stage forest. Some could well be selectively harvested for timber harvest (provided the material is large enough to make it economically viable - many of those stands won't produce anything of value at present.) Leaving as is: Analogous to buying a brand new car and leaving it out in the rain with the keys in the switch and all the doors open - imprudent waste of resources.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 am 
People assume that just because there was once a road used to log these lands that that road can still be used. Most of those roads have washed out sections and have fallen into disrepair. The costs to put them back into service would be astronomical and doesn't pencil out if you are rebuilding the road just to thin a forests one time.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 03, 2023 8:47 pm 
^ You'd have to figure "cost effectiveness" on a case by case basis, but that's not a factor taken into consideration when you're dealing with federal forest lands. There's no mandate that says they have to make a profit, or even break even. That's not part of their mission statement. In the end, whether it's "cost effective" or not is irrelevant. You may as well try to argue about the "cost effectiveness" of implementing the Endangered Species Act - a bottomless money pit if ever there was one. There are a lot of abandoned roads out there that were never decommissioned or rehabilitated - all that's required generally is to run a blade down the length of them and knock down the little alders that spring up. You see it all the time up on the Peninsula. If they don't rehab it when they're done generally they'll ditch and berm it to keep yahoos out. Depends upon what potential future "plans" might be.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 03, 2023 8:50 pm 
^ And you're overlooking that a pre-commercial thin really doesn't require any road construction. You're talking about a couple guys on foot wielding chainsaws knocking stuff down left and right. West side they'll just drop it and let it rot - it doesn't last long. No roads necessary - you only need the road to pull material out.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jun 04, 2023 12:45 pm 
trestle wrote:
It's almost like forestry management is scientific and more than a binary choice between logging or letting everything grow.
We're talking about a problem that was created by forestry management. If we had just let everything grow (and not tried to "manage" it) we wouldn't be having this problem.