Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cat Rescued From Tree!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat May 27, 2023 12:07 pm 
Not a big deal, you say? rolleyes.gif Well, it is for the cat and the guy who climbed near the spindly top of the tree. I love how the cat knew he was being rescued. This one is for you, Cyclopath and other cat lovers. wink.gif https://www.ncwlife.com/news/leavenworth-arborist-rescues-tree-trapped-cat/article_71fa2072-fbe3-11ed-be3d-6b9f1f925c43.html

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

Anne Elk  GaliWalker  Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 27, 2023 2:04 pm 
That was incredible to watch! So much skill and compassion! Everybody should be aware of Canopy Cat Rescue, they do this for free. Snowy treed himself in January. He was about 35 feet up. Unable to get down. Spent about 8 hours trapped. The fire department came for him, said he picked a bad tree to get stuck in and they couldn't help. Canopy Cat Rescue was busy near Everett when I called, but made it that night. An arborist climbed the tree with safety gear, trapped Snowy in an ursack and clipped it to his belt so it would be impossible to drop the kitty, and brought him to safety. All for free, although a large donation was involved.

GaliWalker, day_hike_mike, zimmertr
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat May 27, 2023 9:38 pm 
That is so cool!

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSat May 27, 2023 10:14 pm 
I once watched a group of folks (firefighters and/or utility people - can't remember now) try to rescue a cat from the top of a telephone pole (many years ago). They tried for hours to find a way to get the cat down and eventually gave up. Once all the people were gone the cat found a way to climb down itself. Ever since I have struggled watching these rescues wondering if it was all really necessary.

kite

kite
PostSun May 28, 2023 9:44 am 
The cat canopy resquor3 guys have an Instagram account that is just amazing https://www.instagram.com/canopycatrescue/

Cyclopath
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 28, 2023 1:29 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
Once all the people were gone the cat found a way to climb down itself. Ever since I have struggled watching these rescues wondering if it was all really necessary.
I'm sure it gave all the neighbors something to think about. Cats don't get stuck up in trees. And they don't "get lost". Cat found his way up there - he can find a way down.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon May 29, 2023 4:51 pm 
Can cats downclimb? Otherwise, wouldn't their claws be facing the wrong way from them to come down as safely as they went up? A serious question...I'm no expert on any of this. (I've never had a cat, and am, in fact, allergic to them.)

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 30, 2023 8:43 am 
Cats don't like being stranded up high. It's as scary as if you were stranded. Terrifying for them, because they can't reason like humans can - and many are spoiled housecats. Their claws can rip out of their toes. Imagine how what you might experience if you had to claw down a granite cliff if you have no equipment to do it. It would hurt; your skin peel off your digits. And cliffs don't sway in a breeze or the wind; trees do. Cats do get stranded, and they can starve. If a cat doesn't eat within a few days, even after being rescued, their bodies, esp. liver and kidney, may already be in failure mode and never recover. After a few days of not eating, sometimes their brains develop the habit of not eating. So they don't. So yeah, it's important to get the fuzzy things out of trees. As evidenced by the busyness of the handsome Cat Canopy guys and planned expansion of their organization, a lot of cats do get stranded. And getting them down quickly is important to their health and lives (the handsome guys and the cats).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Anne Elk, kite, GaliWalker, Jumble Jowls
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 30, 2023 3:18 pm 
Bear got stuck in a tree a couple years ago. He kept crying at me for help. I tried to help him down, then left to get a ladder and he followed me. He wasn't really stuck. Snowy was in the tree for 8 to 10 hours, I came and went a couple times, offered him food and games, he was really stuck. Cat Canopy Rescue told me to spread the word, and that they're free. If you see a cat stuck in a tree and don't know whose it is, you can call and get it help and you won't be billed.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostWed May 31, 2023 7:31 pm 
This was just listed on the Okanogan County and Methow Valley Topics of Interest Facebook page: It looks like cats are not the only critters stuck up in trees.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 10:35 am 
Early one morning, years ago, the fire department came careening into the large apt. complex where I worked. They were there to rescue a man who had got stuck in the tree outside his 2nd floor balcony while trying to rescue his parakeet who was up there. So there he was, with morning hair, and clad in his white and red striped pajamas, clinging to a branch high up in a tree as his neighbors all stood around in their robes sipping coffee and watching the human/parakeet drama unfold. I felt sorry for the guy once I saw what was going on, so I averted my eyes and left. It was later reported that both man and bird were later safely ensconced in their home.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert