Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Loop Bridge Replacements - Long Term
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nilloc29

nilloc29
PostWed May 31, 2023 11:34 pm 
I was looking on the Snohomish County public works site and noticed that a lot of bridges are slated for replacement on the Mountain Loop in the next 5-10 years. All of them would significantly effect trail access. I think they would have to work on them in the summer due to water flows. I am especially curious how they plan to do a detour for the Granite Falls Bridge. Would locals have to go all of the way to Darrington? That would be a long commute if they work in Granite Falls or Everett. Looking at the map, it is odd that there is no detour available over Canyon Creek.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 31, 2023 11:44 pm 
Good info. As to the Granite Falls bridge, it is my understanding that the proposed new bridge (pipe dream?) would be constructed next to the existing bridge on the west side while the current bridge remains open during construction. I wonder how well built and in what repair the current bridge is in, there is a lot of heavy truck traffic passing over it, hopefully it will hold up until a new bridge is built.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 2:35 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I wonder how well built and in what repair the current bridge is in, there is a lot of heavy truck traffic passing over it, hopefully it will hold up until a new bridge is built.
The Granite Falls bridge was a big item of contention back in the late 90's when the fight was on over the permits for the (then-named) Associated Sand & Gravel quarry on the east side of the bridge across from Masonic Park. Infrastructure and truck traffic loads were considered by the opponents to be inadequate, but the court and county felt otherwise. I think the scenario you describe, CJ, (new construction next to the old bridge) will happen, otherwise the quarries couldn't operate (there are now two to the east now, I believe, including Green Mtn quarry). It's probably the most important bridge on that list, although not the most rickety.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood