Forum Index > Gear Talk > Trekking pole recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 16, 2023 10:58 pm 
As someone who knows the gear, I'm starting to recommend a heavier wood these days. Recommending a heavier wood. Basically keeps you more stabilized due to the heftier trail feel. I know the gear! And these days I'm Recommending going a heavier wood!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
uww

uww
PostWed May 17, 2023 4:54 pm 
I broke a Costco Cascade Carbon pole in some talus at an inopportune moment and decided to go aluminum. Bought Leki z-poles because of the lifetime warranty and love them. I have forgotten all about the ridiculous price.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSun May 21, 2023 12:40 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
As someone who knows the gear, I'm starting to recommend a heavier wood these days. Recommending a heavier wood. Basically keeps you more stabilized due to the heftier trail feel. I know the gear! And these days I'm Recommending going a heavier wood!!!
I sense that you're recommending a heavier wood

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

Eric Hansen  Chief Joseph, Anne Elk, Kim Brown
NoNameCreek

NoNameCreek
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 9:42 pm 
I have a pair of LT5 from Gossamer Gear. The grips are EVA foam, shafts are carbon fiber, tips are carbide. Feather-light, durable, and comfortable. You can also replace sections individually. Pricey at $195, but worth every mile.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 28, 2023 2:21 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I’m pretty sold on aluminum BD Z poles. They deploy and stow quickly and neatly. I don’t care for adjustable length poles and my Z poles have nice long grips that are easy to choke up on.
I think I am going to switch to dual trekking poles and get a shelter that uses them for setup. Previously I have used either a wooden staff or a single pole. I think dual poles will help with carrying a heavy pack plus my knees are old. I have watched a few videos on the proper use of poles and the info suggests a shorter length for uphill and longer for down, so I am going to go with adjustable. I might get the Cosco ones, I had a pair of BD and lost them, but I liked the flick lock design, they seem less problematic and more stable. This tent seems like a good setup and reasonably priced, although I haven't checked reviews yet. https://www.pariaoutdoorproducts.com/products/arches-1p-and-2p-backpacking-tent?variant=31870096408649&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=Facebook+Shopping&fbclid=IwAR2BmEGCt2r0vHR0Ql3faWHVOjEz332S6hKrRy5zBWdlwKMIj75vzOXJHyk

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 28, 2023 2:24 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Good idea, maybe 2 smaller cedar branches, trimmed and polished, might work with a tarp tent as well. Now I have another project and just cut down a cedar tree on my property. Will you come and help me? I will buy some Wild Turkey and a burger. O' and I need a Big Guy to help haul some big rounds out of the woods. I am the Chief, should not have to do this myself!
uww wrote:
I broke a Costco Cascade Carbon pole in some talus at an inopportune moment and decided to go aluminum. Bought Leki z-poles because of the lifetime warranty and love them. I have forgotten all about the ridiculous price.
That's a very good reason to go with aluminum, they can be bent back (usually), plus I don't know what the weight difference is but it's likely negligible.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 28, 2023 4:06 pm 
The Costco poles work well and are dirt cheap, I used them on the PCT and JMT. I have also broke a couple pairs by falling on them. As the Titan tragedy taught us carbon fiber breaks under compression went back to BD flick locks.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jun 29, 2023 9:51 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
As the Titan tragedy taught us carbon fiber breaks under compression went back to BD flick locks.
Most newer airplanes are largely carbon fiber including the wings and fuselage. It’s not not an inferior material to aluminum. Structure design of any cylinder regardless of material at 6000lbs per square inch pressure (psi) is not trivial. The cylinder walls have both axial compressive stress from the spheres and compressive hoop stress. There is a reason all other deep sea human submersibles are spheres.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 29, 2023 7:21 pm 
The pressure differential on aircraft is at most one atmosphere. In a deep submersible is hundreds of atmospheres, comparable to high pressure water jet cutting devices. The cycling from many dives causes fatigue problems. Of course aluminum can also fatigue from multiple pressurizations.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 29, 2023 8:43 pm 
No love for MSR? I like supporting the home town teams (REI, MSR, OR, etc.) when I can. I replaced my old Lekis with DynaLoc Ascent Carbon Backcountry Poles and have had no regrets. My son inherited my Lekis. Whenever they start slipping I clean the inside of the tube and they're good to go for a couple more years.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jul 03, 2023 2:43 pm 
I ended up going with RichP's suggestion of the Alps Mountaineering poles. It had the design I'm used to (the twist locks instead of clips), which I've never found to be a problem if you wipe off crud before putting them away, and I do think the shock absorption feature helps. https://alpsmountaineering.com/explorer-trekking-pole.html One thing Rich didn't mention is that they're sold individually, not in pairs. I've never seen that before. Kinda handy if you happen to destroy poles often, as mentioned in some comments. I never used trekking poles until one time back in the 90's I went for a quick jaunt up to Barclay Lake with a friend who'd climbed in the Himalayas. He pulled out a set of poles from the trunk and I asked, "What do you need those for on a walk like this?" And he said, "We always walked with them on our expeditions, I never go without 'em." So I learned. '

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 pm 
FWIW: I've owned most brands of adjustable length poles and have busted or worn out all of them. Three years ago I bought a $40 pair of fixed length ski poles constructed with 7000 series aluminum. They are holding up well and working perfectly for me summer and winter. I wrap some duct tape about 15cm below the grip to give me a shorter option.