Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > A pedal bicycle experience.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun May 14, 2023 12:14 pm 
So I couldn't make a hill and was pushing my bicycle... It was a narrow windy road with not much of a shoulder. A nice European convertible passes and the driver shakes his head slowly and deliberately. He's right I'm the idiot in his way. It's ironic how simple gestures make us feel so many emotions. The hill was a humbling experience.

zimmertr  Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 14, 2023 12:38 pm 
Lol...many years ago a friend and I brought our POS bikes to Monte Cristo and of course pushed them most of the way, my friend seriously wanted to leave his borrowed and worse POS on the trail. Then there was the bike push to the 3 fingers TH...coming back was scary and fast with questionable brakes, amazingly neither one of us crashed.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 14, 2023 12:40 pm 
Even if you are cranking away up the hill, some drivers are dicks. I've had large customized diesel pickup truck slow as they approach and then just as their exhaust pipe is a few feet in front of me, punch the accelerator and spew a thick black cloud right in my path. OTH Farm workers driving very beat up ancient pickup trucks, are more likely to hang back a bit and wait to pass when it is safe for them to move into the oncoming lane , giving me plenty of clearance and a friendly wave.

pimaCanyon, Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 14, 2023 1:46 pm 
I really despise those big diesel trucks (typically a POS Dodge) spewing their nasty, black smoke.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

trestle, pimaCanyon
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 14, 2023 2:34 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I really despise those big diesel trucks (typically a POS Dodge) spewing their nasty, black smoke.
Especially when the owners have paid to circumvent the emissions control systems . https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/washington-state-diesel-truck-shop-accused-of-tampering-with-hundreds-of-pickups-to-thwart-emission-controls/
Quote:
Sometimes this work can enable a driver to perform a kind of exhaust-belch, known as “rolling coal,” which releases a black cloud of tailpipe emissions on targets of choice — including bicyclists and Prius drivers

trestle, pimaCanyon
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun May 14, 2023 10:37 pm 
They should be MASSIVELY fined!!! they shouldn't see the light day again after this financially!! Financial ruin!!!

zimmertr
neek

neek
PostMon May 15, 2023 6:47 am 
Brucester wrote:
It's ironic how simple gestures make us feel so many emotions.
Also interesting how one minor interaction can overshadow a hundred positive ones. Entire philosophies of life have been built around overcoming this human tendency.

trestle, RichP
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 15, 2023 8:34 am 
Why feel badly because a lazy POS is being pulled up the hill by a motor? You were out there trying. Even pushing a bike up a hill requires making it up the hill.

trestle, pimaCanyon
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 15, 2023 9:44 am 
I bicycle or walk everywhere within an acceptable distance. Got my first "finger" the other day when I had to brake hard to avoid hitting a car left turning in front of me. I yelled HEY! (would like to use the more British OY!) and got flipped off. What is very scary are the number of drivers going by with their heads down, texting? reading? When walking or pedaling, it's easy to notice this. And yes, the people who have recently immigrated here, or are seasonal workers, are the most polite. Well, off to pedal to the store.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

trestle  Gil
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri May 19, 2023 12:10 pm 
I love doing hills, long hills, steep hills, but I also like pedaling at a fast cadence. I can't do both on a road bike with normal gearing. So I have a triple crank, a granny gear. Makes it possible to spin at a decent cadence even on steep climbs.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

trestle, Cyclopath
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue May 30, 2023 4:16 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Then there was the bike push to the 3 fingers TH...coming back was scary and fast with questionable brakes, amazingly neither one of us crashed.
Haha. I just went up to the goat flats trailhead the other day. Well, most of the way to the trailhead before I hit snow. I brought my new himiway cobra ebike. Coming down it was pretty easy to hit 30mph. When a branch hits your face at 30mph it really hits your face. Wish I could have gotten to the trailhead. I haven't been on that road since it was washed out. Can't wait to come back in early august.

none
trestle

trestle
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 12:49 pm 
My favorite recent cycling experience was the guy who tried to swerve onto the shoulder after he passed me, then turned at the next right, pulled a u-turn in the middle of that tiny road blocking both directions, so he could lecture everyone on the rules of the road lol.gif I didn't have to say a word, the old ladies blasting their horns at him made for a priceless moment. biggrin.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode

Cyclopath
neek

neek
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 5:35 pm 
trestle wrote:
rules of the road
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Artist's rendition
Artist's rendition

Chief Joseph, Anne Elk
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 6:31 pm 
One of my more memorable cycling memories was getting a full Slurpy cup thrown at my face from an oncoming vehicle. Aren't people great!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:22 pm 
I guess I haven't ridden enough, only bad experience was me screwing up on a crosswalk not realizing a car had a green right turn. Most annoying thing is cars giving too wide a berth to the bike lane unnecessary swerving into incoming traffic.

Chief Joseph