Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Mt. Pilchuck Fees
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Nov 30, 2002 5:33 pm 
This just in: As I heard it, the FS is now going to charge $5.00 per day (each individual) to park and use the Mt. Pilchuck Trail and Trailhead Parking Lot...as it is and has been a State Park for many years, which is consistent with other state parks. Apparently, new restrooms/toilets were installed recently at the trailhead and on the trail (at least that's what the radio said today) only to be torn down by vandals in the last few days. Having reported this and having had the entire mountain "Mt. Pilchuck" in my blood now on my 50 years of life, I can see by the apparent influx of people that use the trail and the Lookout that restrooms/toilets are needed up there, despite there ugly appearence upon the land. The Fee charge was coming and I suspected it now for the last few years. I am not sure if there is or is going to be a gate installed on the road somewhere. But like many other state parks there are gates at entrances. And, I would say the vandals may have wrecked it for all, as I suspect a gate is coming in near the future. Added thought: I feel blessed at times for being born during a time when even though the mountain was always a popular hike/climb, one could spend a few days up there even in the summer without seeing another soul...as late as about 1985. But times change and some things have to be done to help ensure a quality experience for the users of today, as well as something positive which is a benefit to the land itself involved...thus restrooms/toilets are long overdue here I think. The fee however is debatable I am sure. Last thought: These days, my treks to atop the peak are confined to winter climbs...far less people attempt it in the dead of winter when the entire mountain is covered in snow when the trail has been obscured, and feel too challenged to do the North Face Route. Most get stuck on the road in the snow anyway thus spending the day digging out or blocking it. Comments...

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostSat Nov 30, 2002 6:26 pm 
I am no McPilchuck regarding Mt Pilchuck. But I have: been to the top over 20 times all but twice in snow, rock climbed 2 routes on the east face, sipped brandy in the LO in a blizzard, video taped some extreme skiers jump off the south railing, watched my then 11 year old daughter lose control in a glissade and tumble like a rag doll, slept in a snow cave under the N face and smugly passed an "old guy" on my way up, only to find out later when I talked to him on top it was famed climber Dallas Klokke. I have great memmories of that little mountain, but have pretty much been driven away by the masses. On a recent drought year in January, I descended to find over 30 cars at the trailhead. Guess you can't blame people too much for enjoying the same things you do, but it is sad to see Mt Pilchuck turn into Mt Si.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Nov 30, 2002 7:23 pm 
I have never hiked up Pilchuck and didn't know it was a state park. I'm less likely to do it with the user fee. If the FS is the one doing the charging, it seems my forest pass ought to suffice.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Nov 30, 2002 8:27 pm 
Pappy wrote:
pretty much been driven away by the masses
If you look at any trail on the US-2 or I-90 corridors, chances are I have not hiked them, or even know the names of the trails, peaks, etc for this reason. The few times I have hiked in those areas I might as well have been hiking at Westlake Center. The best hikes I've done were mostly the ones where I didn't see another person all day. I don't know if I'll ever do hikes like Mt Pilchuck, Mt Si, Mailbox Peak, Tiger Mountain, Lake Serene, etc, etc, etc.

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSat Nov 30, 2002 11:33 pm 
comments..........
I feel that is lame But since they have to fund all this worthless crap they claim to use the money for that the NW Forest Pass is supposed to fund, they had better pave the whole damn road! What kind of state park has such a crappy road (in places) and is not plowed in the winter. I might consider paying $5 if they plow it this winter so I can go skiing everyday!

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 1:25 am 
As an Addition: Having listened to different reporters on the radio today, now I am not sure what is really going on up there and with the fees. It may very well be the fee they were speaking of is just the $5.00 per day Forest Trail Park Pass? Very confusing to say the least. Also said: was that ATVs had been closed in the area (perhaps off the main road) I guess. Perhaps a statement by the FS to clarify the situation better is needed? McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com

PostSun Dec 01, 2002 5:06 pm 
MCaver wrote
Quote:
If you look at any trail on the US-2 or I-90 corridors, chances are I have not hiked them, or even know the names of the trails, peaks, etc for this reason. The few times I have hiked in those areas I might as well have been hiking at Westlake Center. The best hikes I've done were mostly the ones where I didn't see another person all day. I don't know if I'll ever do hikes like Mt Pilchuck, Mt Si, Mailbox Peak, Tiger Mountain, Lake Serene, etc, etc, etc.
Hey Michael, ya might want to re-think that one. There are countless place that are not over-crowded that are accessed from 90 or 2. And depending on day of the week and time of the year many popular trails are surprising quiet at times. I think you wrote off too large of an area and are excluding some pretty nice terrain.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 7:32 pm 
Well, I haven't written of the entire area as I implied, but those trails that seem to be the most popular. And it's not limited to those corridors either really. I haven't hiked Lake 22 either, mainly because I haven't wanted to deal with the people.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 9:42 pm 
Sometimes putting up with people is just something you'll have to do, especially in Lake 22's case, because that is one place you should NOT miss. Absolutely gorgeous creek (a lot of which can't be seen from the tourist highway trail), and lake is beautiful and the wall behind it is quite impressive. Just go on an overcast (or even drizzly) weekday, and there'll be very few people...if any. smile.gif

Quark

Quark
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 11:14 pm 
I second Sore Feet, Michael - Lake 22 is a wonderful trail; one of the prettiest forests you'll find. It's a forest "preserve" area which includes a rare plant - some kind of spleenwort, or something. The Lake 22 trail is worth the effort. Lesser crowds on a rainy day, when these deep foresty hikes are prettiest anyway. Re-think Tiger Mtn as well. All those cars at High Point - the occupants of these vehicles are all on ONE trail - the West Tiger 3. There are MANY trails at Tiger. For goshsakes, stay off the West Tiger 3 trail if you want to see something real nice; go to the Swamp Trail, the Big Tree trail, the Brink trail, the Bus trail Section Line trail, the Nook trail. You'll practically have it all to yourself; and you'll be amazed at it's beauty. Tiger is smack-dab in the middle of a tiny rainforest. Fern as big as baby elephants carpet the forest floor, the Big Tree trail boasts huge old growth trees, the Nook trail takes you to the Talus Rocks, a fantastic set of moss-covered, humongous boulders piled up - boulders so big that huge trees have rooted themselves around them. Cougar Mtn isn't too shabby, either. Squak as well. There are many trails in the local locales, enough to disperse the crowds even on the sunniest of days. At times its worth it to grin and bear the crowds - sometimes there's a reason these places are popular.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Driver of Miss Daisy

Driver of Miss Daisy
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 11:34 pm 
All this talk about crowded trails... I don't drive I-90 because any time day or night, there are cars on the road. Same with Hwy 2. I only drive up abandoned logging roads because I'm sure never to see anybody. Miss Daisy makes me drive to the grocery store, but I try only to drive her there at 3:30am because there are only 12 people in the whole supermarket. I only take airplanes that have one person in the cabin, and only take cruise ships that are empty, on their way back to port. Then I hide in the cabin until 4:58 am when there is a change of shift and everybody is off decks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster