Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Lake Tahoe is clear plastic
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 25, 2023 1:28 pm 
Despite its waters being the clearest they’ve been in 40 years, Lake Tahoe is brimming with microplastics, according to a new paper published this month in the journal Nature. The alpine lake, which straddles the border between Nevada and California, contains the third-highest amount of microplastics among 38 freshwater reservoirs and lakes around the globe, the researchers found. Lake Tahoe is so full of microplastics that their concentration in its waters—5.4 plastic particles per cubic meter—is greater than the concentrations measured near some of the huge garbage patches swirling in the world’s oceans. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/lake-tahoes-clear-water-is-brimming-with-tiny-plastics-180982587/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 25, 2023 1:32 pm 
Humans are doing a terrible job of stewardship, because our priorities are all wrong. We tried to get infinite growth out of a finite planet, and we created a mass extinction instead.

graywolf, idoru  gb
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 31, 2023 8:41 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Humans are doing a terrible job of stewardship, because our priorities are all wrong. We tried to get infinite growth out of a finite planet, and we created a mass extinction instead.
As I have said before, technology is destroying the planet and it's very doubtful that mankind will be willing to make the changes necessary to stop the destruction...if indeed it's not already too late. Look at how things used to be, people brought their own containers when they purchased food and reused them over and over, no need for plastic. I have zero love for Walmart, but their practice of not having any plastic bags (not sure if they still offer paper) is the way to do it. Other stores have plastic bags that you have to pay for. They are at least 5 times heavier than the previous bags and I am pretty sure not many get reused. One thing good is that they hold a lot. I held my bags tonight while the cashier loaded up over 30 cans of cat food. In addition, those on state food assistance are not charged for the bags, so what is their incentive to reuse them, other than maybe as trash bags?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 02, 2023 1:51 am 
are you kidding me? I went into a "Dollar Tree" store in Sequim, Washington. One of 15,115 "Dollar Tree" stores currently operating in the contiguous 48 states. One entire wall - 8 feet high and 40 feet long - was covered with single-use, non-recyclable plastic products all manufactured in China - for use as party decorations. That's ONE store out of 15,115, and that's just "Dollar Tree". That's not including the BIG players, like Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Costco, or countless other mass-merchandiser retailers peddling plastic products or products packaged in plastic. You really believe doing anything about plastic bags is going to make any difference? Have you pissed into the ocean lately?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."