Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > ONP Elwha Road Access EA: Public Meeting 11-13-2019; Public Comments Till 12-18-2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostThu Aug 03, 2023 5:47 pm 
ROW? (I don't speak Acronymese)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kw

kw
PostThu Aug 03, 2023 9:14 pm 
Right of Way! Basically just means they'd have to cut down new trees to reroute the road, but the trees they've already cut down for where the road is currently (or was before it was washed out) are just sort of sunk cost.

Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 7:16 am 
that's insane. and there is no way in hell you're going to plant a concrete pier in a river bed in the Elwha that is going to withstand the forces of a major high-water event and the resulting torrent of dead trees that will come crashing down the river when the rains start. ON THE GROUND REAL-WORLD EXAMPLE: West concrete footing of bridge on Matheny Creek. Heavy rainfall caused major flooding of all local rivers. Matheny Creek's overflow started cutting around the back of the bridge footing. ONLY because they had heavy equipment out there at the time, an operator, and a very quick-thinking-get-the-problem-fixed-now-and-deal-with-details-later District Ranger who sent the operator down there with an excavator and dumped about 50 yards of crushed basalt and removed the logs that were threatening to tear up the bridge was the bridge itself saved. Very similar incident happened at MRNP on Kautz Creek - high water event jammed the culvert, logs started piling up behind it, water started to come up and threaten to take out the road prism. Uberuaga sent an operator down with an excavator, cleared the debris, and saved the road. A high water event in which any of those concrete piers is taken out by a mass of trees coming down the river at 40 miles per hour would be catastrophic, and not repairable until the next low-water season, which might be months away. Now, if you're talking about putting concrete structures into the flood plain on the scale of Grand Coulee Dam, then you might have a viable option there. Otherwise, this is fantasy stuff.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 7:25 am 
This is the scale at which structures have to be designed to withstand the forces of a high-water event on the river's banks. These images show an area about 300 yards long, about 50 yards wide, and standing well over 20 feet above the water level at their highest point. The first image shows a similar structure downstream. It is worth noting at this point that the Elwha is considered by many to be the largest river on the Peninsula. man-made log structures along the banks of the Hoh River 07/22/23: