Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > alternate route proposed for Queets River Road - ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 11:25 pm 
addendum 03/07/07 > Here's a quote from an email I received a couple months ago regarding the Queets ( this is from a Tacoma resident who owns a rental property near the Queets ) " Fishing this past fall was a non-event as the weather simply put the rivers out for the entire fall salmon season and the early part of the steelhead season. Indian netters have been catching lots of fish, though, so the run is pretty strong. If only we could get at them...My friend, fishing guide Ted McManus has a long list of anxious clients desperate to fish. When river conditions are what they have been and they're pleading to go he'll ask them just how they want to float the river, in his boat or on one of the 200 foot sitka spruce trees that are hurtling downstream. That seems to get through to them. " my conversation with a fisheries biologist several weeks ago confirms the above statement: there wasn't much fishing on the Queets during the last two ( winter ) seasons simply because the river was in such bad shape ( due to high water events ), not necessarily having anything to do with the road being closed.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
brownster145

brownster145
PostThu Mar 08, 2007 9:11 pm 
I can't say I'm surprised at the outcome, though still disappointed. I only hope camprgound users in the future will treat the river with more respect than have those in the past. I'd like to believe that there will be a better enforcement presence this time around, but I guess that's probably not realistic. Some fishing regulation revisions may be in order as well. Certainly, though, sitkas make great regulators of their own. wink.gif Any ideas about maintenance of the Queets River Trail, ski? I can only imagine it will be restored with the reopening of the campground. Andrew

Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostThu Mar 08, 2007 9:25 pm 
Quote:
I'd like to believe that there will be a better enforcement presence this time around
only if they get more money. presently there are 3 full-time LE employees out there, with slim prospects for adding seasonals.
Quote:
Some fishing regulation revisions may be in order as well.
certainly. however, reduction in take within ONP by sport fishermen will be offset by increased take by tribal fishermen downstream per Boldt. ( Response to OPA Fisheries Article: April 25, 2001 )
Quote:
maintenance of the Queets River Trail
last word i got was: no road until mid-late summer.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostMon Mar 12, 2007 2:48 am 
Queets steelhead info which might help clarify the statement on the url mentioned in the previous post.

elderbob

elderbob
PostSun Mar 15, 2009 9:31 am 
Windsox Shuttle Web Site
Cate passed away on Feb. 27, 2009. Her service will no longer be available. Her site is paid up till 2012, but will not be maintained. It will get worse as time goes on and more links become broken. I have copied all of her site over to my site. I will try to maintain the links. I would appreciate any corrections or suggestions for my web site and the stuff I copied from Windsox.us site. My site is at: http://www.freewebs.com/elderbob/index.html

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
elderbob

elderbob
PostThu May 13, 2010 3:59 pm 
PS on Windsox.us website
Since I posted the last time, I have gained ownership of the site. I now maintain it and it is still at www.windsox.us. The shuttle service is no longer available. The site still contains much information on ONP and I have added trail descriptions for many of the trails. They include the abandon ones as well as the current ones. Look under Trail Guides on the site map. There is a shuttle service available. I do not know much about it. Try: http://www.goallpoints.com/ Willie Nelson runs it. He is not the famous singer.

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
reststep

reststep
PostSat May 22, 2010 2:03 pm 
Thanks for maintaining the site elderbob. It is appreciated.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostTue Aug 08, 2023 3:52 pm 
FTR: In case anyone is curious, re-establishing vehicular access to the area had very little impact on the fishery. It appears the single largest contributing factor currently - and for the last few decades - has been reduced stream flows and increases in stream temperatures. Was looking for something else and it led me back to this thread and thought I should mention it. I mentioned during my phone conversation that the water seemed unusually warm last week. (pers. comm. / phone / ONP 080723)