Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Umtanum Parking Fee?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue May 03, 2005 7:42 pm 
A new WTA trip report mentions a BLM parking fee which will begin on May 15th at the Umtanum Recreation Area lot off Canyon Road along the Yakima River. That's the one with the suspension bridge leading into Untanum Canyon. Does anyone know anything about this? How much? Can you pay for it at the lot? Do you have to drive back to Ellensburg to find somewhere that will sell a permit? Is it really BLM or WDFW? The BLM website seems to be down for some time. WTA Report

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:08 pm 
Isn't BLM covered by the Golden Eagle Pass???? So makes me wonder though...will you need that and a Fsih & Wildlife sticker? Too confusing!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Karen

Karen
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:33 pm 
Does anyone know why the BLM website is down? It was down a few days ago, too, when I tried to look something up. Annoying. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:35 pm 
I heard the same thing and am quite sure it is BLM. Yes, everything you hike in to is WDFW but the Yakima Canyon areas are almost all managed by the BLM by the river. The Yakima Canyon BLM map should show this. Golden Eagle pass is the best thing as it covers everything you might need. I actually have NOT seen a red signage posted at that parking lot for WDFW vehical permit like you see everywhere else. That leads to believe the BLM maps are correct in that this parking access area is BLM...the parking lot, camping area, and access. You don't need the WDFW decal for just hiking those lands. That all said I have not been there to see the BLM signage myself so do not know if you can pay on the spot. As highly used as this spot is I'd guess there will be a fee box available should you not have a Golden Eagle pass.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed May 04, 2005 8:44 pm 
Tis true. I was out there today as planned and after reading this thread yesterday I took a pic which I'll add as that is easier than typing out the details:

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed May 04, 2005 9:51 pm 
Ah, that's just what I figured since I knew the Roza access site area has already been this way. I actually have been very surprised the Umtanum Recreation site has gone this long without it. Personally I don't mind seeing this---usage for the summer season is when most damage is done and heavy usage by campers, many illegally in locations not set up for it, and all the rafting people in and out. While I'm sure they won't like it....personally it affects me not at all since 99% of my usage in all these types of areas is more like November-March.