Forum Index > Gear Talk > Seam Sealing Issue
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mencalico

mencalico
PostWed Aug 30, 2023 5:05 am 
Need to seam seal a silynylon tarp, and needing to buy new mineral spirits. It appears they have come out with new formulas that make the mineral spirits more eco friendly, but not good for sealing. So how do I know which one Iam buying?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Aug 30, 2023 5:48 am 
Get the old fashioned regular mineral spirits. Ask at a paint or hardware store. The real issue is that you will likely have to buy waaaaay more than you need and then need to store the rest. Likely you will not use it ever again and then need to properly dispose of it years later. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Aug 30, 2023 6:52 am 
I prefer the mineral spirts method when working on an entire tent. For a Tarp with one single straight seam you could likely just use a $9 tube of Seam Grip Sil and be done with it.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 30, 2023 4:42 pm 
FWIW: I have used GE Silicone II kitchen and bath caulking diluted with mineral spirits and applied with a small paintbrush to seam seal SilNylon projects effectively.

InFlight
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 30, 2023 5:01 pm 
FWIW: If you want "old style" Mineral Spirits/paint thinner instead the low odor stuff sold at Lowes/Home Depot consider going to an auto parts or auto paint supplier. They are more likely to carry the old style high vapor pressure stuff. It will dry much more quickly and completely. You might want to also obtain a carbon filter respirator at well to avoid breathing in those fumes and giving your liver a workout clearing that sh## out of your blood stream

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Aug 31, 2023 7:47 am 
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 01, 2023 6:08 am 
Most of the stuff sold in hardware and paint stores/ departments is the modern low vapor variety and that is fine. Many are not even labeled as "low vapor" or "lower vapor", just plain old mineral spirits. They are also not usually labeled as "eco-friendly". The ones labeled as eco-friendly or fast water cleanup are generally different. I tried one eco-friendly mineral spirits for seam sealing and it was just obviously different enough as it made an unusable mess when trying to thin out the silicone. YMMV You might try a hobby store, the kind that specializes in models and such, that may have overpriced vet small containers of mineral spirits. As suggested above, if it is just one seam along the middle of a silnylon tarp you can try just using the small tube of seam sealer for silicone without thinning it out. I have done that once. It was not pretty and was extra sticky for a while. Just make sure you get the needle holes properly covered. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."