Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Helicopter camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 18, 2023 9:20 am 
kiliki wrote:
This reminds me of the big private fireworks shows off of Bainbridge the past couple years
I live in Lake Forest Park, and heard it! It might be different if it were a typical fireworks holiday, but it is not; it's someone's birthday party or some such thing. Lots of complaints; people can prepare their pets or work around other things when they know there will be fireworks on 7/4 or NYE or the Superbowl; but some random date - it really creates a hassle for a lot of people. Anyway. Yeah, good point. It is ridiculous that taxpayers are on the hook for nonsense.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

kiliki
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Shred

Shred
PostThu Oct 19, 2023 4:34 am 
I have skied down to Copper lake a couple times from Vesper and both times we saw heli skid tracks in the shore sand.

philfort

philfort
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 7:11 am 
altasnob wrote:
That tells me whoever was landing any helicopters on the DNR owned part of the lake was violating the law. AG Bog Ferguson needs to sue them both criminally and civilly and put that helicopter company out of business.
It is against the law? It's not exactly secret which company it is, since they have a website advertising tours there (although I suppose there could be multiple).

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 9:46 am 
philfort wrote:
It is against the law?
As others have noted, it appears this company may have occasionally landed on DNR land. I assume one cannot just land their helicopter on DNR land whenever they please without proper permitting, particularly when it is for a commercial use. That's why I think there are at least some laws being broken here. The WA AG has a bunch of smart lawyers that hopefully will look more deeply into this. I can't comment on the federally owned, USFS owned part of the lake. That appears where they were landing, and camping, the majority of the time. The boundary between the USFS and DNR is a specific point on earth, but that alluvial fan they were landing on could shift locations with time. I would have to do a FOIA to dig info out of the USFS and unlike Washington agencies, federal agencies are a pain the ass to get public records from. Someone else is welcome to dig. I guess the larger question here is when you accidentally crash your plain, or helicopter, or whatever into a mountain lake, are you responsible for cleaning up the mess?