Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Stereoscopic photos of Pacific Northwest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 5:02 pm 
Blosser has many great photos throughout the state, and of the mountains. Another great set of photos I like, were a series of sterno's by S. C. Smith of the U.S.R.S. (the United States Reclamation Service). One trip in particular, where he took many images, was of the Goat Rocks. They show the glaciers in 1906. I found a few for sale and purchased them, so it was very nice to learn how to properly view them on this thread. Here's a few, different from the ones I have, but I love them cause they really show off the Goat Rocks, and the former glory of her glaciers. Sterling Cyrus Smith (1866Ė1936)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:51 pm 
You can totally work the trick from the photos in the first post, took me less than a minute. Using an iPhone I clicked on the pic, turned the phone sideways ( landscape), looked at the right image, and let my eyes cross. The photo just magically went 3D. Really cool.

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 8:00 pm 
It works on Schroederís LoC link photos as well. I just saw three people sitting on a rock in the Snoqualmie river in 3D. https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/pnp/stereo/1s10000/1s16000/1s16500/1s16551v.jpg Trick: pic out the most prominent item in the photo, and as your eyes cross try to align that feature in the cross eyed image. You may have to tilt the phone to align the images.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 12:00 pm 
I couldn't get cross eye to work so tried this online viewer. Seems to work well after some minor fiddling to align the photos: https://3dthis.com/stereo.htm

catsp

catsp
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 1:11 pm 
Don't cross your eyes. Look through the pic off into the distance. Just like Magic Eye. Watch the first 1 1/2 minutes of the video in linked in my earlier post.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 4:04 pm 
The video says to focus in the distance beyond the two images. That did start to move the two images closer, but not enough to get them to align no matter what distance I viewed from. I had to cross my eyes to get them to merge. For me that halves the size of the image, and very minor 3D effect. The software worked better for me but maybe I'm just not doing it right.

catsp

catsp
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 5:19 pm 
The two images do not merge into one. The two images create a third image centered between the two. That's the one to eventually bring into focus. The two original images remain visible in your peripheral vision. Like I mentioned before, make sure the pic isn't too big to begin with, given the limited spacing between our eyes.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 6:42 pm 
Yep, that's what I see. Finally got it to work. Pretty cool! up.gif