Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dragontail Peak via Colchuck Glacier + Pandora's Box Winter Ski Decent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CarterSven
SvendsenCMountains

CarterSven
SvendsenCMountains
PostWed Dec 27, 2023 9:45 am 

Carter

ale_capone, Gimpilator, fourteen410, pula58, jaysway, geyer, Bronco, John Mac, jsb, Now I Fly, Nancyann, reststep, Tom, neek, zimmertr  KascadeFlat  RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Dec 27, 2023 11:33 am 
CarterSven wrote:
This makes me want to be in the mountains right now. It's not an epic view or anything, but it's what you often experience on your way to a peak. I can feel myself taking a rest on my trekking poles, catching my breath, and waiting until my body is ready to continue the slog. Good looking trip!

Pef, jaysway, geyer, Now I Fly, zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Dec 27, 2023 11:39 am 
Rad

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Dec 28, 2023 6:01 pm 
Nice trip. We downclimbed that snow to get to Dragontail when we were there. It's steep!

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Dec 29, 2023 3:30 pm 
Nice! Winter no less! I rode it once on summer solstice. Complete 180 being only a few days passed the winter solstice. Summer is easy. Im curious how the approach conditions where, but it doesn't matter.. im not going! Trying to make sense of the pics. Looks like 2 people, but only one skier. 2 nights. One day poking around aasgard, second day going up colchuck to dragontail? But most importantly... How where the ice runnels on the TC's?!?

CarterSven
SvendsenCMountains

CarterSven
SvendsenCMountains
PostWed Jan 03, 2024 12:11 am 
Three nights, four days. Day one: 130am start, get to Colchuck lake, set up camp and try aasgard. Get discouraged by snow depth and only line was going up the creek, climbers right. On way back to camp spot Colchuck gulley was decent coverage. Day two: Leave camp 8am, but did not realize I grabbed the wrong bag. I have three identical sea to summit waterproofs. Grab the one with electronics, not my day gear. So I had no food or eyewear. Making the choice easy to turn back 500ft from gulley top. Met my friend later as he spotted my tent from across Colchuck lake. Day three: Climbed up Colchuck gulley and then to Dragontail. Day four: Friend left, I went back up Colchuck gulley to 7500ft. Turned back because of weather(visibility to avoid rocks) and decided to hike out. Made good time in ski boots, hour 50 min to trailhead from camp. Snow was fresh and light above 5500ft, except in Colchuck gulley there was wind loading from Dragontail spin drift. Causing a breakable crust on top. no Ice runnels, probable to high for rain. What are TC'S?

Carter
Carbonj

Carbonj
PostWed Jan 03, 2024 9:34 pm 
TC Triple couloirs climbing route very popular.

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostThu Jan 04, 2024 7:39 pm 
Epic! Ambitious! Gotta love a trip report of awesome adventure photos with no narrative needed wink.gif up.gif up.gif