Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mallorca, May 2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Jan 18, 2024 11:06 pm 
In late May of 2023, I was fortunate enough to join my partner's family to a trip to Mallorca, a Spanish island in the Mediterranean. The trip was not focused on hiking, but I managed a little bit of short hiking and sightseeing with the family, and when the family left my partner and I stayed for three more days to do two nights of backpacking on the GR 221, Mallorca's famous hiking route. I know this report is wildly late and isn't about the PNW, but I couldn't find other reports here for Mallorca so I figured some here might enjoy learning about the hiking. Mallorca is not a place that many think of when planning European hiking trips - most people traveling to Mallorca are coming for the beaches, nightlife, bicycling, and general sightseeing. While there are more stunning hiking destinations, I loved my time here and would like to come back to do more hiking. The island's mountain range, the Serra de Tramuntana, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its agricultural history and reminds me of a scaled-down version of the Dolomites. Mallorca is a compelling option for shoulder season or potentially even winter backpacking (though it can snow), and I would recommend coming at an off-peak time both to take advantage of fewer crowds and to give yourself the time during peak season to enjoy the PNW. Mallorca offers a compelling combination of European culture, limestone mountains, and beautiful ocean. Fornalutx to Soller On our first day, the whole family took a bus from Soller to Fornalutx and hiked back to Soller on roads and trails, eventually hiking on the GR 221 into town. Fornalutx has a great town square, and best of all for my young niece and nephew was a stray cat who enjoyed the attention.
The center of Fornalutx
The center of Fornalutx
Looking towards Soller
Looking towards Soller
Soller
Soller
Soller to Port de Soller That evening, we planned a meal in Port de Soller. Everyone else took the train, but I left beforehand to hike on the GR 221 from Soller to Refugi De Muleta and down into Port de Soller. The beginning and end of the hike are on roads, with the middle on a very rocky trail.
Descending into town
Descending into town
Cap de Formentor, Ma-10 The Formentor peninsula is a beautiful and very popular area for sightseeing and bicycling. Parking is limited, and during the peak season there are restrictions driving restrictions for most of the day. I recommend arriving early.
Bicyclists
Bicyclists
Mirador de El Colomer
Mirador de El Colomer
Cala Bˇquer, I couldn't convince the family to do the hike down
Cala Bˇquer, I couldn't convince the family to do the hike down
Cala Molins
Cala Molins
Ma-10 roadside view
Ma-10 roadside view
Gorg Blau
Gorg Blau
GR 221: Pollenša to Soller, Day One We arranged a taxi to pick us up in Soller and drop us off outside of Pollenša to start our hike. The hike into Lluc, a monastery, was straightforward and enjoyable. We spent a couple of hours at a restaurant there to avoid a series of heavy downpours. When we were finally confident that the rain was done, we continued, and eventually pitched our tent just below Puig d'En Galileu where we enjoyed a great sunset.
We started the hike outside of Pollenša
We started the hike outside of Pollenša
Lluc, where we spent a couple of hours escaping the rain
Lluc, where we spent a couple of hours escaping the rain
Goats
Goats
The rain clouds finally started clearing
The rain clouds finally started clearing
Views near our campsite
Views near our campsite
The sun reflecting in the ocean
The sun reflecting in the ocean
GR 221: Pollenša to Soller, Day Two Waking up, we enjoyed a great sunrise from Puig d'En Galileu. Continuing on the trail, the view from Coll des Prat was one of my favorite from the entire hike. About 45 minutes before we got to Tossals Verds a downpour started - I have never experienced so much rain in such a short period of time on a hike! We waited at Tossals Verds for hours for everything to dry out before continuing, debating whether to stay or continue. Eventually, we decided to continue, not knowing where we would camp. We ended up making it to Pas Llis and found a good spot to pitch the tent.
Puig Major, the island's tallest mountain, on the right
Puig Major, the island's tallest mountain, on the right
The gorge on the left is Torrent De Pareis, which I would love to come back and explore
The gorge on the left is Torrent De Pareis, which I would love to come back and explore
Coll des Prat
Coll des Prat
So many sheep!
So many sheep!
Departing Tossals Verds
Departing Tossals Verds
Looking down at C˙ber
Looking down at C˙ber
Pas Llis
Pas Llis
GR 221: Pollenša to Soller, Day Three We got an early start and hardly saw a single person until we got to Coll de L'Ofre, which gave us our last views of the C˙ber reservoir. The descent into Soller through Barranc de Biniarix was spectacular. The closer we got to Soller, the more hikers that we saw (mostly day hikers). Finishing felt great, but I would love to come back and complete the entire GR 221, especially the section between Soller and Valldemossa!
Gorge Blau on the right
Gorge Blau on the right
The structure on the top of Puig Major is a NATO radar station
The structure on the top of Puig Major is a NATO radar station
C˙ber
C˙ber
Coll de L'Ofre
Coll de L'Ofre
Our first view of Soller since leaving for Pollenša
Our first view of Soller since leaving for Pollenša
Barranc de Biniarix
Barranc de Biniarix
This part reminded me a tiny bit of Zion National Park
This part reminded me a tiny bit of Zion National Park
Biniarix! We are back in civilization
Biniarix! We are back in civilization

Eric Hansen, Anne Elk, Gimpilator, contour5, Bowregard, reststep, rubywrangler, Waterman, RichP, Prosit, Sculpin, mike, GaliWalker, Kascadia  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Jan 19, 2024 7:13 am 
Thanks for posting this. Looks absolutely beautiful and now on my list to visit.

jaysway
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jan 19, 2024 9:20 am 
I always associated it as a party place but the mountains look great.

jaysway

jaysway
PostFri Jan 19, 2024 10:22 am 
RichP wrote:
I always associated it as a party place but the mountains look great.
That was my impression too. My partner's parents chose Mallorca in part because of the PBS show the Mallorca Files, and I was not too excited until I learned more about the island and realized that there was more to it than I had initially imagined. The island sees a lot of British and German tourists, and we did not see very many Americans. The nightlife hotspots such as Magaluf are easily avoided. The hiking trails were quiet except for Barranc de Biniaraix, which is just outside of Soller.

RichP