Forum Index > Trail Talk > a heads up for hanging timber.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 7:59 pm 
I don't have a "before" picture of this snag standing. It was around 9feet in diameter and was near a road used by a school bus. It should have been cut earlier, when it was a bit more sound. Anyway, one of the best fallers in the area did the deed. I wasn't there to watch, nor would I have wanted to be that close. I did see a video of the operation. He had two meticulously cleared escape routes in opposite directions. He cut it with a saw and did the run like hell method as the base of the tree exploded into kindling. His hardhat did fall off but was not damaged. Here are the after pictures.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities

Tom, Now I Fly, reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Carbonj

Carbonj
PostFri Jan 19, 2024 9:03 am 
^ wow not to be a smart ass but did he get it to go where he wanted, I know he got it on the ground.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 19, 2024 10:36 am 
Carbonj wrote:
^ wow not to be a smart ass but did he get it to go where he wanted, I know he got it on the ground.
Yes, he did. If you were there and looked closely, you could see the direction by what was left of the undercut. The guy is a guru at falling difficult trees. I felt better about the operation when I saw how immaculately groomed his escape routes were. He did a lot of preparing for the worst. He also does the difficult hazard trees in campgrounds, along with another local falling guru. They are both getting along in years and the younger fallers don't have the experience of falling large diameter beastly trees. Not a smart ass question at all. It's actually a good one.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 19, 2024 10:41 am 
This is the guy who did that tree.

hearingjd, runup