Forum Index > Trail Talk > Great places for taking dogs out
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 9:47 am 
With my little buddy Joey, I have shifted my focus from hiking in the national forest to much the much closer, often overlooked urban/ forested areas. Great place for the dog to run loose and work on training without the distraction of others. Its great to go out on the Mountain Loop Highway past the now closed Deer creek gate. Or North fork of Skykomish, gate is closed but not locked which makes it more unattractive due to big trucks playing in the snow. Looking for places that would keep you and the dog away from the crowds found on I 90 or US 2? Here are a few. Please feel free to add. Anacortes forest lands which has the added benefit of lunch in town. Northern Recreation Area . Former state mental institution turned into county park. Extensive fields of grass, wooded areas and streams. Great to let the beast run loose. Current favorite is Pilchuck Tree Farm. It is split into 3 different units. Northern area is familiar for the orv and mtn biker crowd who are concentrated in the walker valley area which I avoid. https://www.pilchuckra.org The Southern portion is just a bit north of Arlington near lake Armstrong. Working tree farm allows access with signed liability waiver. Trails have been maintained by local esquistiren groups which have an agreement with local landowners. They are the ones to set rules, enforce em and in general keep the conflicts to a minimum. NO E BIKES PERIOD! Standard traditional mtn bikes allowed. Other rules apply. Great place. Forest has been parked out allowing freedom to wander off the roads and trails into the and under the forest canopy which is inter spaced with mossy meadows. Biggest surprise so far was a grove of redwoods. So has the more than abundant sign of wildlife. Lets not devolve into the annual dog off leash argument OK? We all know where each other stand on that subject, although the usual members will chime in anyway. (taking bets via pm who the 1st thur 5 will do so) shakehead.gif

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 10:06 am 
Pretty much all the National Forests off the trail systems. Or even on trail systems when out of the Seattle influence. Port Blakely tree farms were people/dog friendly last I checked. And, Ebikes can be ridden in such places! Joy!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 7:02 pm 
I bike occasionally on Hampton Family Forest land in Snohomish and Skagit Counties. I was out today near Granite Falls for a 4-hr ride and didn't see a soul. Gates help. Permits are $75.00 yearly for non-motorized access to 79,000 acres. DNR land is good too.

Waterman
camut

camut
PostSat Jan 27, 2024 8:54 am 
Re Pilchuck Tree Farm trails, all trails in the PTF Victoria Tract are closed to bikes and horses from November 1st to May 1st but remain open to hikers. Gravel roads are open all year. There is easy access from I-5 exit 215. I live in the neighborhood. PM me if you want more info on where the we "locals" like to walk with our dogs.