Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anyone have experience selling property with a buried fuel oil tank?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jan 27, 2024 4:47 pm 
Our 1968 home has an oil furnace and buried tank. And while we have no plans to sell, at some point we likely will do so. A friend mentioned the buried tank might be an issue when selling. A bit of research led me to this WA court case which seems to say that any problem with a buried tank is the sellerís responsibility. Seems reasonable. https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=4521f6a3-ad6d-4999-8b55-6c0d95431019 We have no reason to think that the tank is leaking at all but on the other hand we never monitored the level of the oil in the summer to see if remains constant when we are not running the furnace. I plan to do so this summer. One of the delivery drivers told me that oil tanks installed in the 50s and 60s tend to be very high quality. No doubt there are companies that can sample the soil around the tank and test for leakage. Anyone have experience to share?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jan 27, 2024 5:05 pm 
Hereís a typical thing youíll find at citiesí web page. Of course thatís minimum code. You might want comment from someone in real estate or finance world. https://www.seattle.gov/documents/Departments/Fire/Business/AdRule34.02.07.pdf

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message