Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > I think public access took a hit today
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catsp

catsp
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 12:08 pm 
Schroder wrote:
It seems to be more than that. This may settle some issues of beach and tideland ownership that's been in question for over a hundred years and the court has been avoiding.
I would question whether that's accurate. While there certainly may be such ownership issues, it appears to me that this opinion involves a very specific and narrow question. So unless what you're talking about involves whether an area of shoreland was expressly disclaimed by the State at the time of achieving statehood (because the federal government had already transferred the property to another), I don't think this court opinion is going to answer the question. Maybe you can provide a specific example or situation?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 8:36 am 
Schroder wrote:
This may settle some issues of beach and tideland ownership that's been in question for over a hundred years and the court has been avoiding.
This is the part that interests me, can you explain what the ruling does? As I understand it, some folks who bought waterfront land had language in their deeds that stated that they owned out to the shoreline. The language in those deeds is in conflict with a general provision in Washington state law that has been interpreted as allowing public access to shorelines. (Not sure I even have that part right.) So does this ruling endorse public access to those beaches or the opposite?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message