Forum Index > Trail Talk > anyone traversed the lightning creek high route recently?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 8:27 am 
NWS Observations page has historic fire layers that seem to be taken from Inci-Web when the fires are active. There was a trip report on here a few years back when a party approached a climb of Tenpeak by dropping into Thunder Basin from the head of the Napeequa. Turned out to be a technical descent that required a rappel iirc. They exited via Thunder Creek/White River which was an adventure. Maybe the fire has made Thunder Creek an easier route now as it appears the fire burned a ways up the drainage. It has had a reputation in the past of being very brushy.

themountainwhispers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 9:28 am 
Very doubtful Just getting to Thunder creek is a mess and Thunder creek basin is a vine maple infestation which didn't appear to burn.

themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 2:59 pm 
wow, that's a super helpful map and link for future ref as well, @hikerbiker, thanks so much! it agrees with what the other data suggested, but maybe is easier to visualize. also helpful to hear about the TRs regarding descent into thunder basin being challenging ... i think you're referring to this one? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7993143 i realized i read it long ago, when first pondering this route, but before i was as "familiar" as i am now with the area from the hours spent on google earth and other maps, tracing the "routes & rocks" waypoints. much more tangible this time reading it! (also, this TR has useful further info on thunder basin: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=893985 ) a couple comments: 1) the route that tom and geoff took is quite a bit higher than the "clark mtn HR" one -- theirs was near 7500' they said, the HR is ~6000'. following it closely on google earth, the HR looks fine, no technical descent. 2) i think folks may be confusing the upper and lower thunder basins? the upper basin does not seem to be choked with brush, near as i can tell. see eg. https://earth.google.com/web/search/Thunder+Basin,+WA/@48.06126858,-121.01955169,1576.23659792a,474.09325209d,35y,-19.68675394h,76.13574977t,-0r 3) the high routes we'd be taking traverse from boulder creek to the high thunder basin, then over the saddle to the lightning creek high basin (which is a steep scramble, apparently), then over and up probably to the foot of the white chuck glacier. not too much brush, i don't think. 4) lastly, just a note that the alternate route i was looking at, which crested the range from the napeequa side, dropped not into thunder basin but west of the hive into lightning creek. (but i think i prefer the high routes on the S side of the range.) thanks all!

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 3:07 pm 
here was something i did. route in there https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8007325&highlight=tenpeak

Art is an adventure.

themountainwhispers
themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 3:50 pm 
sweet, that looks amazing! as noted, we're probably not wanting to take full ropes for glacier travel, so the section that overlaps where we'd likely go is the part from the little unnamed glacier/lake south of white river glacier. you note there: outflow can't be crossed after summer melting begins ... this is something i was curious about, since glacier-related issues are definitely the most changed since "routes and rocks"! we'd need to get from the east to the west of that glacier/lake, if went that way, probably around the north side of the bowl. my assumption from there would be to stay high and cross over to the white chuck side... but you dropped down (or climbed up?) a steep lip and then traversed southeast of the crest, higher than the normal lightning HR i think. any comments on that section?