Forum Index > Trail Talk > Death on New Hampshire Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Feb 02, 2024 9:53 am 
He sounds like he was a decent guy trying to make a living in the outdoors industry and that he enjoyed hiking. Sometimes folks push boundaries to build renown and test their limits. Hiker, rest in peace.

Malachai Constant, runup
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Feb 02, 2024 8:27 pm 
Rest in peace is an appropriate phrase, and a wish that a mourning period be respectful and compassionate.

Off trail rambler

RumiDude
catsp

catsp
PostSat Feb 03, 2024 4:52 pm 
NightOwl wrote:
So much irony here ... Or maybe the better word is hubris .... Sounds like he hadn't yet learned some important life lessons himself, about humility and nature's utter indifference to us.
I don't read his comments as asserting that nature is going to take care of us in the literal sense. Of course "nature" (whatever that is) is at best indifferent to us, if not actively trying to kill us. But I imagine a lot of people could find some agreement with the thought that if we care for/provide for nature it will in turn care for/provide for us, figuratively speaking. I understand the general questioning over people appearing to take undue risks when they have responsibilities and obligations owed to others, such as family. But I think it can be difficult to draw that line between acceptable vs undue risk for others - or at least it can be difficult if we ourselves possess any of the humility you mention. I would love to hear Roma's thoughts as things were turning bad, and then from bad to worse. Each time did he still think he could make it? Was he actually "this close" to just an uncomfortably close call and a great story, with an equally great learning experience? These are among the things I wonder. But tbh, I don't really have a problem with him "pushing it" in a general sense. As someone here once wrote, "I respect the will to challenge yourself and do great things," and I'll add, even if those "great things" only seem great to ourselves.

idoru, runup, RumiDude
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Feb 05, 2024 5:52 pm 
catsp wrote:
At 70, absent passing an elderly driver's test. Every five years after that until 80, then every two years.
The mind at 70 is def far sharper than 80, for many people (not all of course!). I am watching my MIL go through this. At 70 she was very clear and sharp. She will be 80 in a couple of months. I don't think she should be driving anymore. She hit a pedestrian in a parking lot. She got a ticket for it, but didn't have to be retested for her license in her state. Thankfully the other person wasn't seriously hurt. Then she fell this past year and broke her arm. I see in her now she is scared. She has lost a lot of confidence that she used to have. At least she is working on selling her home and moving into a senior active community that has where you can move to supported care later. I am glad she is moving that way. She can afford it. But 80 is very much when the younger generation needs to look clearly and longly at their loved ones.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.