Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stehekin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 9:18 am 
National Park Service removing rangers from Stehekin in cost cutting move. https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/imagine-summer-in-stehekin-without-park-rangers/

Mountainpines  RumiDude
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 9:33 am 
Yep. Thatís too bad.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm 
When I arrived in Seattle in the early 80's, the whole Puget Sound area was in something of a recession. I recall a year or so before that, receiving a letter from the Everett Chamber of Commerce telling me not to come unless I had a job offer, things were that bad. Hard to believe, now. I came anyway after a project based opportunity in Canada ended, and applied for every federal job I remotely qualified for, having worked for the Feds in NY, which gave me a leg up as a candidate. The job I wanted most was one in Stehekin with the NPS. All I recall about the job description was something about operating a radio and the need to cut a couple cords of wood for your winter heat, or to pay to have it done. This was also back in the day before the interwebs so you applied with paper, to the local office, which was in downtown Seattle. I never did get that job - I was told an NPS incumbent got it. Instead, I landed up working for NOAA in several different capacities, eventually going to sea on their research ships. I often think about how different my life would have been if I'd gotten that NPS Stehekin job. I can't believe NPS isn't going to staff the place at all now, given the increase in visitors over the years. Time for a letter to our senators, et al.

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood

seawallrunner, Mountainpines, RumiDude, zimmertr
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 3:20 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I can't believe NPS isn't going to staff the place at all now, given the increase in visitors over the years. Time for a letter to our senators, et al.
Truthfully, this decision is beyond comprehension. It is irresponsible not staffing that beautiful building and take care of the facilities there. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Anne Elk, Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 6:44 pm 
Honestly, their hours were limited. Some days they were closed anyway. Many wonít even feel it since they couldnít rely on these services.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 6:48 pm 
And if you were lucky to see someone iinside, they kept the door closed for some kind of meetings instead of serving the visitors.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 6:58 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
And if you were lucky to see someone iinside, they kept the door closed for some kind of meetings instead of serving the visitors.
Wow, times have changed! When I was there in 2017 there were lots of activities, including ranger guided hikes and information presentations on geology, history, flora/fauna, etc. There was an overflow campground where I stayed. Iwas hiking the PCT and took two zeros there. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Mountainpines, Cyclopath
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 9:24 pm 
Sadly, I didn't experience it. Those were good times.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am 
I was surprised & saddened by this. Seems an important place to have personnel for SAR coordination. I wonder if they could staff it with volunteers?

'we don't have time for a shortcut'

seawallrunner
Worthington

Worthington
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 12:32 pm 
I *believe* that there will still be NPS employees there, to maintain the numerous NPS docks, campgrounds, bathrooms, trails, and do law enforcement. Maybe a fire crew too. I think this means there will be no staff of "interpretive" rangers, which means the newly-ish remodeled visitor center gallery at the landing will not be staffed, and there won't be people specifically to do nature walks/talks/events or answer questions and make reservations in person. If there is truly going to be no NPS employees, they would have to close down all the various camps and bathrooms and docks, which isn't mentioned. Still a big change from recently when there were nightly talks and history/biology programs for families and kids.

RumiDude
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 1:49 pm 
> I can't believe NPS isn't going to staff the place at all now, given the increase in visitors over the years. Time for a letter to our senators, et al. Perhaps there's an opportunity to offer the space for some other activity? Artist in residence perhaps (as in Lucerne)?