Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ticks spreading in the Pacific Northwest?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 4:14 pm 
Article From The Seattle Times I hate ticks. Likely we all do as well. With the changes in climate, ticks have moved into areas which previously did not have many ticks. The article looks at the present situation here in the PNW and how that is changing in regard to tick populations. From the article: "Blood suckers are on the move in the Pacific Northwest, and their bites can be dangerous. More commonly found in the Midwest and northeast, ticks are expanding their range. And Washington state is not immune. Warming trends, exacerbated by climate change, are creating a more hospitable environment for the parasites. The first case of a locally transmitted tick-borne illness popped up last year in a Whatcom County man. Then last month, doctors found the state’s second case after a Puyallup woman fell ill. Now, public health officials are warning that more cases of the potentially fatal bacterial disease, called anaplasmosis, and other tick-borne pathogens, are on the horizon. Not only are warmer conditions more suitable for ticks but people are also moving to more areas where the parasites thrive." Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Josh Journey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 5:38 pm 
That's bad news. I was hanging out in the Wallowas near Mirror lake and a couple crawled onto my leg but luckily none dug in. As I said in my TR I would not recommend camping there as there are a lot of ponds and bugs and tics.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 5:55 pm 
I picked up 9 ticks between the Eightmile trailhead and Cashmere Mountain earlier this year. 3 of them were embedded before I found them. @mosey also saw one near Coal Creek in Newcastle this spring. Things are changing.

Flickr | Strava

ALW Hiker, Josh Journey, Ski, klock
murrbn

murrbn
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 4:54 pm 
Picked up my first tick on the PCT below Azurite peak a few weeks ago. After hearing about them and seeing so many pictures it felt like a right of passage to finally pull one off of myself. It was through a overgrown brushy section that I picked it up on.

RumiDude
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 1:09 pm 
brushed off a tick from my rain fly at Deep lake on PCT section J last Sept. I know not all ticks carry diseases, but if you do get a disease like Lyme disease its bad news.

Cyclopath, RumiDude
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 7:06 pm 
Not to skeeve you out but our Golden Retriever got ticks on him this spring....outside of Freeland on Whidbey Island. On our property.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
vroc38

vroc38
PostThu Aug 10, 2023 2:19 pm 
My dogs have picked up ticks in the Cougar Mountain area going back 20 years. Maybe the population is on the rise but they have been in the area for some time.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Aug 10, 2023 8:54 pm 
vroc38 wrote:
My dogs have picked up ticks in the Cougar Mountain area going back 20 years. Maybe the population is on the rise but they have been in the area for some time.
It's not just ticks in general, but certain species of ticks whose previous range did not include the PNW. Some of these ticks are associated with specific diseases that previously had not existed in the PNW. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 10, 2023 9:16 pm 
Joseph wrote:
if you do get a disease like Lyme disease its bad news
Named for Lyme, Connecticut, where the disease was first noticed almost 50 years ago.

klock

klock
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 9:55 am 
RumiDude wrote:
vroc38 wrote:
It's not just ticks in general, but certain species of ticks whose previous range did not include the PNW. Some of these ticks are associated with specific diseases that previously had not existed in the PNW. Rumi
Ya, just to note, there are over 10 species of Tick native to North America. There are Ticks here, and always have been. The difference is the range of the two species of Tick that generally cause disease has drastically expanded as the climate has changed. The big tell is if the Tick has black legs you don't want anything to do with it.

RumiDude
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 4:48 am