Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fern ID ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:02 am 
Came across these on the coast near Kalaloch. Having trouble identifying them.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, B

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:13 am 
Now I Fly wrote:
Came across these on the coast near Kalaloch. Having trouble identifying them.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, B
Probably irregular polypody https://burkeherbarium.org/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Polypodium%20amorphum

Ski
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:48 am 
The first two images show immature leaves which do most closely resemble the images for Polypodium amorphum. However, that species is montane and has never been recorded near the coast. Based mostly on the third image, I'm guessing this is P. scouleri, which is only found near the coast (the sole record in the Herbarium away from the coast, shown as being high in the Olympics, is misplaced because the record states "on bench above ocean." Mislocated records are an ongoing problem at the Burke, I have worked on it myself. The problems arose when the paper records were moved online, and every record had to have a dot on a map, even if the record did not have any useful location information. The work was done by grads and undergrads, and a lot of it was slapdash, as we see with this record that did have location information.) I have found P. scouleri at Boeing Creek Park. When the leaves are mature, it is hard to tell from sword fern other than being smaller in every aspect.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 10:13 am 
Thank you both for the information! My plant whispering friend agrees! He referred to it as "Leathery Polypod". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypodium_scouleri Interesting stuff, and fun to see. Thanks again, B!

Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:22 pm 
.... did you walk over to the other side of the highway and see if there were any mushrooms up yet? might still be too cold, but you never know if you get into an area where some sun gets through the canopy in the afternoon.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 6:30 pm 
Ski wrote:
did you walk over to the other side of the highway and see if there were any mushrooms up yet?
I did not, but I do recall being surprised to see mushrooms somewhere on my trip. It was a quick trip, and very juicy. Full rubber suit was the required dress code (just the way I like it!). Stuck to the beach's, and never crossed the road (to best kept secret, and most under used trail in the area!). The seas were raging at beach 3. Top notch. Cheers, B!

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Apr 04, 2024 9:20 am 
Sculpin wrote:
The work was done by grads and undergrads, and a lot of it was slapdash
Back in the day - way back - as an undergrad at U MN I helped map vegetation types in the Mississippi floodplain prior to the dams being constructed. I was working with old b/w aerials and a machine that used a variety of mirrors and lights to project those aerials onto some kind of material. I was using actual wet ink pens to draw vegetation type outlines. My first instruction was to figure out how the machine worked.