Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old Puget Sound Ferrys
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Mar 31, 2024 2:47 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
One kid in my senior secondary in B.C. rode bus 55 miles each way. About half was gravel, which meant slower on heavy snow days and during spring breakup. He started with a full size grocery bag nearly half full. Ate a couple inches on way to school, a couple inches at lunch, and a couple inches on ride home. Teen boys.
How do you eat an inch?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Mar 31, 2024 10:04 pm 
The bag was full of sandwiches etc. Maybe the only kid in school that was a bigger eater than me. I didnít know many of the Grade 12 boys, so Iím not sure. He just ate enough to lower the level that much. How many sandwiches are there in a brown paper grocery bag filled 10-12Ē deep?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 01, 2024 10:29 am 
If you find yourself in the new Mukilteo Passenger Terminal, there's a display case at the west end that contains a bunch of boats carved by an old friend of mine, Steve Philipp. Steve was the chief boatwright at Fishermans Boat Shop in Everett and a member of Mountain Rescue. He and his wife, Dorothy, were lifelong members of the Everett Mountaineers. Steve also worked closely with the Tulalip tribe and taught canoe carving skills to the tribe. There are large scale ship replicas he made that are on display in the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 01, 2024 10:38 am 
Here's a photo of the old Anacortes ferry terminal I saw posted on Facebook a couple of days ago. This was where the Guemes Island ferry runs now. They built the new terminal for the San Juan ferries at Shannon Point in 1960.

Ski
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Apr 01, 2024 11:36 am 
Schroder wrote:
Here's a photo of the old Anacortes ferry terminal I saw posted on Facebook a couple of days ago. This was where the Guemes Island ferry runs now. They built the new terminal for the San Juan ferries at Shannon Point in 1960.
I would have caught a boat out of that terminal back in the early 50s. Our Langley basketball team was invited to play the Friday Harbor team. The locals put us up overnight. Nice folks. I remember them having a very small gym. I think they beat us but we had a good time. That was where I learned of their rabbit problem and how they attempted to control them.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 01, 2024 12:52 pm 
I found a photo of the new Anacortes terminal just before it opened in 1960. Incredible how undeveloped it was back then.
Anacortes Ferry Terminal 1960
Anacortes Ferry Terminal 1960
The rabbit problem spread to Whidbey too. There's a hemorrhagic disease sweeping through the population now that's reducing the numbers. Their only predators here are eagles and coyotes and the coyote population seems to be getting smaller too.

Waterman
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Apr 01, 2024 3:26 pm 
Schroder wrote:
The rabbit problem spread to Whidbey too. There's a hemorrhagic disease sweeping through the population now that's reducing the numbers. Their only predators here are eagles and coyotes and the coyote population seems to be getting smaller too.
Are they the same Belgian hares that are on San Juan Island? I understand they average around 6 pounds. They must have come to Whidbey after I left. All I remember having were little cottontails. They were maybe 2 lbs. I don't recall them being much of a problem.

Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:38 pm 
Dick B wrote:
Are they the same Belgian hares that are on San Juan Island? I understand they average around 6 pounds. They must have come to Whidbey after I left. All I remember having were little cottontails. They were maybe 2 lbs. I don't recall them being much of a problem.
I asked a friend from the Island about the source of their rabbit problem. It seems that a while back the county fair decided to stage an event where chickens and rabbits were donated and kids allowed to keep any animals they could catch. There were a lot of rabbits left over and they were simply turned loose. This created quite a problem around Langley .

pipedream

pipedream
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 11:13 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I live next to pilings from a mosquito fleet ferry dock & that ferry ran along Whidbey, over to Camano, and then down to Everett.
On the subject of odd ferry stuff on Whidbey, what's up with the sign along Penn Cove Rd just east of the burned-out Penn Cove Pottery building that reads "Ferry Traffic Only"? I've always assumed it's a joke, but there is that old pier there...

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Apr 04, 2024 6:59 am 
Dick B wrote:
I asked a friend from the Island about the source of their rabbit problem. It seems that a while back the county fair decided to stage an event where chickens and rabbits were donated and kids allowed to keep any animals they could catch. There were a lot of rabbits left over and they were simply turned loose. This created quite a problem around Langley .
The rabbits have spread everywhere. Here in Greenbank I can look out in my yard and see 5 of them at any given time. Almost the same with the deer.
pipedream wrote:
On the subject of odd ferry stuff on Whidbey, what's up with the sign along Penn Cove Rd just east of the burned-out Penn Cove Pottery building that reads "Ferry Traffic Only"? I've always assumed it's a joke, but there is that old pier there...
I haven't noticed it. I'll take a look next time I'm there but obviously a joke. The Penn Cove Pottery building was hit by a semi that went out of control on the curve. I don't think they've decided what to do with the building but I suspect it will be torn down. It's sad because it's one of the oldest buildings on the island.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Apr 04, 2024 7:07 am 
Here's a great photo of the M/V Bainbridge at the Clinton ferry dock and surrounded by ice floes
Clinton about 1950; South Whidbey Historical Museum collection

Ski
Dick B

Dick B
PostThu Apr 04, 2024 7:55 am 
Schroder wrote:
Here's a great photo of the M/V Bainbridge at the Clinton ferry dock and surrounded by ice floes
I was still on the Island when this event occurred. I believe it came on in early November and was the the coldest I ever remember. The Doug fir had not yet acclimated for the winter and there were fir needles all over the roads. It killed the tops back in a lot of the young 2nd growth stands around the region.