Forum Index > Trip Reports > Malachite North 5/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Comma

Comma
PostSun May 12, 2024 11:17 pm 
I haven't written a trip report in a while, and was starting to feel guilty. Malachite North has been on my to-do list since I did Malachite a few years ago. I've only been able to find one trip report for Malachite North, and they went up the south face. I was interested in the north face, which is a more direct route from the Rock lake approach. I attempted it a couple months ago, but wasn't feeling finishing in the dark. So! I got a bit of a late start due to being up late the previous night hoping for a second round of northern lights. Due to snow on the road, I parked about 2.7mi from the trailhead. The snowy road walk was long and the sun was beating down hard on me. I quickly regretted leaving my snowshoes at home, and I was fantasizing hard about turning around and getting ice cream. Lots of animal tracks, including bear and mountain lion. At the trailhead proper, I took a nice long water, snack, and sunscreen break before carrying on. Being treed, the ridge wasn't as bad as the road, but I was definitely feeling the effects of the sun and heat. On the descent down to Rock lake, I broke away from the trail at 4800ft, and started contouring towards Malachite North. The basin below the north face is very pretty. Not soon enough, I was standing at the notch on the west ridge looking up at the summit block. It looked like there were plenty of options to get up to the summit. I stayed fairly close to the west ridge, going up via some class 3 scrambling and lots of veggie belaying. And then I was on the summit! Amazing views all around. No summit register - I had brought one with me but accidentally left it in my car. I admired the surrounding mountains, took a few pictures, had a snack, then proceeded to skedaddle outta there. I had brought rappel gear, microspikes, and an ice axe, all of which went unused. I suppose carrying that stuff, as well as postholing, is good training! Unfortunately it was too lake to get a milkshake from the Alpen drive-thru, so I had to be content with grocery store ice cream.

ALW Hiker, jsb, Now I Fly, Waterman, Bootpathguy, mbravenboer, BarbE, hikerbiker, Nancyann, jaysway, neek, RichP, zimmertr, John Mac  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue May 14, 2024 5:26 am 
Great Day to be out

Comma
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue May 14, 2024 7:34 am 
Beautiful! I love the shot of Rock Lake in the snow.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Comma
jsb

jsb
PostTue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm 
Great work Comma! Super impressed you were able to hammer this out without snowshoes given the warm weather. I'm curious if you've got a rough sketch (or GPX) of your route to the top? I attempted Malachite this past summer but got turned around near the summit block coming in from the north. I just didn't see a way up this east facing slab...
Here is my GPX from last summer: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/e5b0e75eae385d3f852391938509e5b3 Sounds like the go-to route is to loop all the way around and summit from the south.. but I'm curious about your north face approach. Cheers - thanks!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 14, 2024 6:24 pm 
jsb, looking at your track you approached the (Malachite) summit from the wrong direction. You want to head up (almost) all the way to the west col before attempting to gain the summit. Not sure about the North Summit.

jsb
jsb

jsb
PostTue May 14, 2024 6:40 pm 
Yup - I think you're right Tom. I took a look at summitpost after my attempt and there is a good image there showing the spot to hit on that west col. I added an unhappy emoji where I think I topped out...

Comma

Comma
PostTue May 14, 2024 8:55 pm 
jsb, it sounds like you're talking about Malachite proper rather than Malachite North? When I did Malachite a couple years ago, I approached via Copper lake. But for the summit block, I actually wrapped around northward from the western col so that the summit was entirely steep snow rather than rock. So I imagine if you stay around 5800 ft until you're below the northwest face, then you could find your way directly up from there. Malachite - https://caltopo.com/t/H0F0V42NML Malachite North - https://caltopo.com/t/JRPMEL2PDK

jsb
jsb

jsb
PostTue May 14, 2024 9:37 pm 
Ahhhh... got it. Malachite North isn't even a named peak on Gaia. TIL. Thanks!

Comma
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 14, 2024 10:15 pm 
Yeah, and FWIW getting up to that col there's a lot of scree. It's as bad as it looks in the picture haha. That said, I've been up there twice and worth it! Once you get past the scree, you're pretty much golden.