Forum Index > Gear Talk > new Sawyer Squeeze doesn't work
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostMon Jun 10, 2024 8:31 am 
Bought a new one last fall. My old one was fine but after ten years just figured maybe ought to ensure a fresh filter. Took it out this weekend. No water flow. Eventually squeezed out a few drops. Using gravity filter got 2 liters but took all night (8-12 hours). Still couldn't squeeze much through and gravity filter is drip drip drip, not steady flow. Had to boil water, fortunately a short trip and plenty of gas. Water wasn't silty. Now I'm soaking the filter in water and then I'll backflush but not convinced either will solve problem. Any suggestions? Can't find my old one, don't think I tossed it but wish I could find it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jun 10, 2024 9:11 am 
I've had this happen a few times on the first use of a Sawyer Squeeze or Katadyn BeFree filter. Check it after it's soaked in water for awhile and it might be working then. At least that's what happened to me. Now I try to remember to soak it in water the night before a trip.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jun 10, 2024 9:51 am 
Soaking it in vinegar and to decalcify it and then flushing it with purified water afterwards could help. I've fully converted to the BeFree after being frustrated with my Sawyer Squeeze for years though. It's so much faster and convenient in that it can easily replace a water bottle in my vest. I'll still bring a gravity filter backpacking for managing water for the group, though.

letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostMon Jun 10, 2024 5:47 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Soaking it in vinegar and to decalcify it and then flushing it with purified water afterwards could help. I've fully converted to the BeFree after being frustrated with my Sawyer Squeeze for years though. It's so much faster and convenient in that it can easily replace a water bottle in my vest. I'll still bring a gravity filter backpacking for managing water for the group, though.
would vinegar make sense if the filter has never been used?

zimmertr
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostMon Jun 10, 2024 6:13 pm 
update: after soaking for 20 hours, filter is definitely running better! gravity filter seems to work as well. so i guess just keep it soaking wet the 24 hours before going out? gotta remember though

Opus
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostWed Jun 12, 2024 7:11 am 
Count me as one of the many folks who have happily moved from Sawyer filters to the Katadyn BeFree. They're so inexpensive I really think of them more as a expendable that I replace every year or two.

InFlight
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jun 12, 2024 10:44 am 
letsgobobby wrote:
so i guess just keep it soaking wet the 24 hours before going out?
That's part of it. But bear in mind that letting it dry out between trips will leave whatever minerals were in the water solidified in your filter. So, be diligent: * After each trip, flush/backflush with bleach water, then flush/backflush with distilled water (not "purified" water). * Before each trip, re-wet and soak the filter a good 24, maybe 48 hours before leaving. * When putting it away for the winter, do the bleach/distilled thing, then leave the filter wet and put it in a ziploc with a wet paper towel to keep solids from plugging it over the long term.

letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostWed Jun 12, 2024 4:41 pm 
I never had to do any of this with my old Squeeze. Did something change anout the design?

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jun 12, 2024 5:06 pm 
letsgobobby wrote:
I never had to do any of this with my old Squeeze. Did something change anout the design?
I have no idea.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSat Jun 15, 2024 6:24 am 
The Squeeze and BeFree both have cleaning instructions available online. Neither one mentions anything about vinegar or bleach. Bleach in particular can be corrosive. If you want it to do its job properly follow instructions from manufacturer. A few years ago I was backpacking with a friend. At our first water stop I pulled out my Sawyer, he had a befree. The water is double out of the befree. I put my Sawyer away and haven't used it since. I've also had the issue with the filter drying out. No clue why.

InFlight
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jun 15, 2024 2:41 pm 
i had the reverse experience using someone's befree, although it probably depends on how well maintained each are.

InFlight