Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Trapper Nelson Backpack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 10:26 am 
For those interested on the history of the Trapper Nelson backpack, see: http://www.AlpineQuest.com/trappernelson.htm McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 10:51 am 
Thanks for the story. It brings back memories though not necessarily good ones. Try backpacking with 100% of the weight on your shoulders. I would not trade my aluminum frame backpack for a Trapper Nelson today. Still, It's amazing how much weight we carried on those as teenagers. It was interesting to see the name of Dorm Braman in the story. As I recall, he was the mayor of Seattle when I was a kid.

salish

salish
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 12:58 pm 
Good job, McPil. As I've mentioned to you before, I still have my old Trapper Nelson and sometimes still hike with it, though I agree with JimK that's it's not as easy to use as newer packs. Still, if the load is 20 lbs and under, it works fine. Sure brings back some memories. So does Dorm Braman smile.gif Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
IBEX

IBEX
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 2:19 pm 
JimK wrote:
...with 100% of the weight on your shoulders....
It is strange to think that know one knew what a hip belt was back then.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Dec 25, 2002 9:35 pm 
"We're a third of the way up the trail boys and the sun will be at it's peak in an hour. Take a swig from the canteen and let's rustle."

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 3:19 pm 
I endured my Trapper Nelson through the early 60's on many weekend outings. After a 50 miler in 1966 I made the switch to an REI Cruiser. That old Trapper's capacity was severely limited by the sleeping bag I had at the time. I improvised shoulder pads and hip belt by using two large sponges and an army utility belt winched around the bottom of the frame. I can still remember all the readjusting along the trail, shifting pain from shoulders to hips and back! I wish I had a profile picture to show how inefficient the Trapper was with a huge sleeping bag strapped on it.
trappernelson65
trappernelson65

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
salish

salish
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 6:23 pm 
Yea, but it was MUCH nicer than the Yucca packs we had before the Trapper Nelson. At least when you got a TN you knew you were hanging with the Big Boys. Great photo. TC. What BSA # is that? I can't read the patch....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 10:53 pm 
Great picture. Kind of funny seeing that cat running for cover. hihi.gif

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Dec 30, 2002 8:40 am 
Troop 200 in Edmonds. I guess the Trapper Nelson was superior to some of the packs at the time. I hiked with a few guys that made their own packs with square 5 gallon tin cans and a laced up pack frame! The cat wasn't running away. Just typical feline behavior, feigning disinterest in us humans.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
salish

salish
PostMon Dec 30, 2002 11:35 am 
Yea, but you were right - they did kill your back with heavy loads. I'm still so much of a "wood & canvas, conquer the wilderness" type of camper it's still sometimes difficult for me to warm up to new high tech equipment. But my back appreciates it smile.gif I was in troop 321 in north Seattle.... Cliff

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Dec 30, 2002 11:37 am 
Timber Cruiser wrote:
Troop 200 in Edmonds. I guess the Trapper Nelson was superior to some of the packs at the time. I hiked with a few guys that made their own packs with square 5 gallon tin cans and a laced up pack frame!.
This sounds like a Trail Blazer (fish packer) to me.....grin. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Dec 30, 2002 12:32 pm 
Salish wrote:
Yea, but you were right - they did kill your back with heavy loads. I'm still so much of a "wood & canvas, conquer the wilderness" type of camper it's still sometimes difficult for me to warm up to new high tech equipment. But my back appreciates it smile.gif I was in troop 321 in north Seattle.... Cliff
I spent a couple of winters learning how to become a "brush monkey" with King Co. Explorer Search and Rescue at your council's Camp Brinkley. Nothing like running compass courses through the swamps around Woods Creek in the winter to sharpen your cross-country navigational skills!