Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Trust For Public Land Buys Icicle Valley climbing area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 6:49 pm 
An article today in The Wenatchee World stated that The Trust For Public Land will buy the 40 acre Sam Hill climbing area about 3 miles up Icicle Valley in Leavenworth. The group has recently made other land purchases to protect climbing areas. Freeman Keller a long time climber stated, " We're making a significant statement that not every piece of flat land in the Icicle is destined to have a house on it". An in depth article written by Michelle McNeil can be found in the paper or via Wenatchee World Online. up.gif wildernessed

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 7:29 pm 
Right on, they raised the money. This is a total grassroots effort, and I applaud these folks for taking matters into their own hands. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 9:05 pm 
Now this is the type of "activism" I support. Buying land in the market to conserve it is excellent. up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 9:39 pm 
I agree. Good for them. They saw a good they desired, raised the money, and paid for it themselves. That's how ya do it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 pm 
Kewl biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 11:04 pm 
Everyone seems to be in agreement on this one. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 6:18 am 
up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 6:49 am 
Me too

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostTue May 31, 2005 2:08 am 
I get so many things in the mail from all sorts of conservation groups who want my attention and donations. If I send $1 to every one of them, what good does that really do? If I do send them money, a few weeks later I get a form letter from them saying it would be really helpful if I could just send them XX dollars more to support their causes. They are all fine and dandy causes but sometimes I wish some of these non-profit conservation groups would consolidate and make a more powerful voice. The Trust for Public Land is different breed of conservation. They do mainly one thing and do it very well...buying up land in need of protection. They also seem to be devoid of fear-mongering...their quarterly publication is chock full of beautiful pictures of the places they are helping to protect. I don't know how they do everything they do as well as they do but I have been so incredibly impressed by what they do that they will definitely be in my will when I die. They are also one of the few non-profits I actually look forward to donating to each year. Most other organizations are sending me sad letters saying if I don't give them more money, the world will end. TPL says thank you and I really feel it from them. My heart goes out to all the other non-profits who are trying to do their jobs from a purely political/activist perspective...I think that work is also valid but the TPL doesn't really bother with politics. I suspect the political diversity of TPL supporters is much greater than most other conservation groups.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 12:16 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Everyone seems to be in agreement on this one. up.gif
At least among posters on this website. I'm sure the local taxing districts will bemoan the fact that transfering land to public ownership takes it off the tax rolls. Although TPL may be a non-profit organization, It still takes a percentage of the value of the transaction for its operating expenses. As far as I know, they are just a holding company in the transaction between the land owner and buyer. A level of expensive and un-needed beauracracy in some transactions where there is a willing buyer and seller. The money could have been used to acquire more land.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 1:47 pm 
Timber Cruiser wrote:
Although TPL may be a non-profit organization, It still takes a percentage of the value of the transaction for its operating expenses. As far as I know, they are just a holding company in the transaction between the land owner and buyer. A level of expensive and un-needed beauracracy in some transactions where there is a willing buyer and seller. The money could have been used to acquire more land.
Timber, I see your point. Of course most non-profits do take money from their donations or other income sources and use it for their operating costs. People who work for non-profits aren't in it for the money, but they do need to put food on the table as few of us are millionaires. And I'm sure there are non-profits out there who really don't do a damn thing other than give themselves a tax-free zone. I don't know the details of how TPL works or what their board members and such are paid, but hey, they've been around 20 or 30 years and have done a great job. I feel this is a case of "you get what you pay for". Maybe TPL has a higher operating cost (those beautiful Land & People magazines can't be cheap) than other non-profits...but what if they decided to go on the cheap and went belly up in 5 years? There is great power is being around for a long time, snowball effect sort of thing.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 1:58 pm 
TPL Website Anyone who questions non-profits using some of the money to pay their employees probably hasn't worked for one. My experiences with them, in the performing arts, is that they pay around 30 to even 40% less than their for-profit counterparts. People aren't getting rich working for them, that's for sure. shakehead.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
harinama

harinama
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 am 
this is fantastic! gratz to all involved.