Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Roadless Areas endangered
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostMon Sep 27, 2004 10:18 am 
You might want to adjust the title. The letter speaks about "Wilderness Quality" areas, not areas already designated as wilderness. That is a pretty big difference.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Sep 27, 2004 10:44 am 
Wouldn't this thread go in the "stewardship" forum?

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Sep 27, 2004 10:48 am 
Yep. I moved it.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostFri Oct 01, 2004 12:11 pm 
SJ I'm sure that these type of alarmist notices serve to rally the uninformed, but I know you are a deep enough thinker not to fall for their rhetoric. Check out the situation in the Siskiyou N.F., and I'm sure you'll find it to be different than portrayed in the Earthjustice letter. Stewardship is the management of resources by an entrusted party to meet the goals of the stakeholders. Management can be active (human intervention) or passive. The stewards of the resources affected by the Bisquit Fire in the Siskiyou NF (USFS, BLM) analyzed the impacts on wildlife, fish, water, soil, recreation and regional economics and came up with a range of plans to mitigate the damage and put the area back on the path to recovery. The plan they settled on is described in the final environmental impact statement (FEIS). In summary: " The Forest Service's FEIS calls for harvesting 372 million board feet of timber on 19,465 acres, 8,173 of which are in inventoried roadless areas, including 6,221 acres in late-successional reserves; the use of helicopters to reduce temporary road construction; no building of permanent roads; construction of 300 miles of fuel management zones; reforestation of 31,000 acres; prescribed burning on 83,000 acres; 70 miles of road work, including closure, decommissioning, and stabilization; and 5 miles of temporary roads, none of which are to be built in roadless areas. " It also calls for the addition of 64,000 acres to the Kamiopsis Wilderness Area, and rehab of recreational opportunities throughout the burned area. That's a far cry better in my estimation than the stewardship or"protection" offered by the Earthjustice's preffered passive management of the fire destroyed roadless areas.
BisquitFire
BisquitFire
BisquitFire2
BisquitFire2

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Oct 01, 2004 2:38 pm 
Quote:
There was a line, straight as an arrow to the horizon. On our side it was all drab brown, everything dead or dormant; on their side there was a lot of greenery, shrubs, grasses, animals and little lakes. The reason for that is that they don't put out wildfires......
I aint sure your dramatics on the situation you were looking at in AZ is due to fires SJ. I think it might be due to something else. I never did make it to the Bisquit fire. I was in Utah at the time, while everyone else enjoyed a large fire close to home bawl.gif

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Oct 01, 2004 8:12 pm 
I couldnt even begin to guess without seeing the area, but, I would find it hard to beleive that area's dramatic change in a close procimity would be due to wild fire managment. IMO

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostFri Oct 01, 2004 11:47 pm 
What about those dudes in "without a paddle"? They were drivin their 4-wheelers all over! Bad people...

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSat Oct 02, 2004 8:42 am 
godlygirl wrote:
What about those dudes in "without a paddle"? They were drivin their 4-wheelers all over! Bad people...
Thats it, thats why there is such a dramatic change on the border. Its that movies fault. mad.gif

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSat Oct 02, 2004 1:06 pm 
it does me good to see half naked dudes running through the woods.... winksmile.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 7:07 pm 
I got this action alert from WTA today:
Quote:
Attend a public meeting to advocate for the protection of Eastern Washington’s roadless areas The Wenatchee, Okanogan, and Colville National Forests contain more than half of the roadless areas remaining in Washington State. In the past, Washington hikers have spoken out strongly in support of protecting these pristine areas that provide unparalleled recreational opportunities, essential wildlife habitat, as well as clean drinking water and clean air. As the first step in reviewing which areas of these forests qualify for wilderness protection, the Forest Service recently proposed reducing the amount of inventoried roadless areas by 150,000 acres or 12%. Few acres are proposed to be added, despite the fact that as many as 400,000 acres of roadless quality land in eastern Washington forest remains uninventoried. The Forest Service is inviting the public to review and comment on their proposed changes to roadless boundaries at one of 5 public meetings. We need to make sure that these meetings are well attended to send a clear message that Americans want more, not less, roadless areas protected.
Meeting locations: Tuesday, July 12, 7:00-8:30 P.M Bellevue High School, Performing Arts Center, Bellevue, WA Wednesday, July 13, 7:00-8:30 P.M Red Lion Yakima Center Hotel, Yakima, WA Thursday, July 14, 7:00-8:30 P.M Wenatchee Red Lion Hotel, Wenatchee, WA Monday, July 18, 7:00-8:30 P.M Community Colleges of Spokane, Dominion Room, Colville, WA Wednesday, July 20, 7:00-8:30 P.M Okanogan Agriplex Annex, Okanogan County Fairgrounds, Okanogan, WA

Scout

Scout
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:12 pm 
Timber Cruiser wrote:
SJ I'm sure that these type of alarmist notices serve to rally the uninformed, but I know you are a deep enough thinker not to fall for their rhetoric. Check out the situation in the Siskiyou N.F., and I'm sure you'll find it to be different than portrayed in the Earthjustice letter. Stewardship is the management of resources by an entrusted party to meet the goals of the stakeholders. Management can be active (human intervention) or passive. The stewards of the resources affected by the Bisquit Fire in the Siskiyou NF (USFS, BLM) analyzed the impacts on wildlife, fish, water, soil, recreation and regional economics and came up with a range of plans to mitigate the damage and put the area back on the path to recovery. The plan they settled on is described in the final environmental impact statement (FEIS). In summary: " The Forest Service's FEIS calls for harvesting 372 million board feet of timber on 19,465 acres, 8,173 of which are in inventoried roadless areas, including 6,221 acres in late-successional reserves; the use of helicopters to reduce temporary road construction; no building of permanent roads; construction of 300 miles of fuel management zones; reforestation of 31,000 acres; prescribed burning on 83,000 acres; 70 miles of road work, including closure, decommissioning, and stabilization; and 5 miles of temporary roads, none of which are to be built in roadless areas. " It also calls for the addition of 64,000 acres to the Kamiopsis Wilderness Area, and rehab of recreational opportunities throughout the burned area.
and log old growth reserves in a designated national wild a scenic river corridor : http://www.siskiyou.org/swrc/timbersales/mcguire.cfm

Protect what you love so it lasts forever!