Forum Index > Gear Talk > Old Backpack Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Odonata

Odonata
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 11:45 am 
hey there hiker, I've got a backpack that I bought for $7 at a thrift store about 13 years ago. I've used it a number of times and it functions great. This is what I had my youngest brother use for his first four or five outings as a young teen. You should hear him rave about the comfort of new packs lol.gif. So, is this an old Boy Scout pack? Is it a Trapper Nelson style even though it's got the cool curved side supports? I have no clue as to how old this is. All the zippers work and there is one small tear in the canvas on a side pocket. I get the impression it can't be too old. Can anybody help me get to know my old buddy a little better? Thanks - Dave

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 12:44 pm 
Dave, neat pack, you should bring it to one of the TB meetings and see what some of the old timers think. And since I'm an old timer I'll offer this; I think it's a home made Trapper Nelson, probably from the early to late 1960's. Does it have any labels that say "Trager & Sons" or "Indian Packboard"? If not, it's almost assuredly a home made job. Lot's of people back then did that. You would use a band saw to cut out the frame and attach a WWII GI haversack to the frame. My cousin built one like that. I've even seen them made with tree branches that have been shelacked. Unless it has the official BSA label stamped somewhere on the bag I would doubt it's a BSA pack. But it could have been used by scouts. Incidentally, if people think the old Trapper Nelson could be uncomfortable, they should try the old BSA "Yucca" packs. I graduated from one of those the the Trapper Nelson and never looked back. I still sometimes use my old Trapper Nelson as a day pack. There's just something about wood & canvas...... Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 3:06 pm 
Whatever the brand may be, it should be labeled as a classic.... lol.gif You want to hang on this back for the great memories that it hopefully produced for you and your brother!!!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 3:44 pm 
Several people made packs like that in the 80's they were more comfortable than aluminum frame packs and that was before there were good frameless packs. I knew someone who made one that was nearly identical so I assume there were plans floating around. If I remember right you had to liamate your own plywood with epoxy. If it fits its a keeper.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Odonata

Odonata
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 6:01 pm 
Thanks for the info so far. I will bring it to the next TB meeting. There are no labels at all on it. I think you are both right about it being a home made job. I would believe it is from a kit because it's built pretty well. My brother now looks upon the pack as an ancient torture device, right behind the bannister with razor blades. It always gets comments from the old coots when I bring it out on a popular trails.

salish

salish
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 8:24 pm 
Dave, I think one of our guys at TB's made one of these. If you recall Rex & Yanling gave that humorous slide presentation a couple of meetings ago about the dehydrated fish packing techniques and Rex was using a pack like this in the slides. I contacted him about it and he said he made it specially because it allows him to hike with minimal sweating. Anyway, I look forward to seeing it. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.